Announcements :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-meleon announcements. 
Pages: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: K-Meleon 1.5a1
Posted by: kko
Date: October 24, 2007 09:46PM

trinitus
I would recommend to don't even bother trying to discuss something and save your powers for things that are more useful. threads like this one [kmeleon.sourceforge.net] might get you an extended idea why.

That's the totally wrong approach. As I've said many times, you can only take influence on the development of km when you give us feedback on our pre-releases. However, feedback is more then just telling your opinion. Others have other opinions. So, we have to make compromises and such can only be found in a debate. When you're not willing to spend some time on a discussion then you don't need to complain afterwards either.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Terry
Date: October 24, 2007 10:22PM

@kko - thanks for listening. Appreciate it.
@guenter - had I known how easy it was to change that string, we could have saved this whole long conversation. Anyways, took your advice - made the changes. Am now happy. Thanks.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 24, 2007 11:40PM

@kko - sorry for the missundestanding & I have updated my strings because I go to Yahoo - I have IE 7.0, Firefox 2.0.0.8, SeaMonkey and and Netscape 9.0 but no Opera. Sometimes I do not get to see the ok page - do You possibly meen that?

@all - I favor minimum of code with maximum of effect. The rest & minority wishes must be cared for by the installable extensions. That is IMHO what they are for.
Some while ago when they did not exist our devs had no choice but to include everything that was hard to install by users - but that is a thing of the past.
0.9 gave us the features that we needed - and the kmm gave users back the choice smiling smiley

K-Meleon's basic idea was a minimalistic browser like old Galeon - I am a relic of the time when K-Meleon was lean and this forum helped users to configure and extend it.

IMHO redundant code adds bulk/bloat that some of us cannot and some of us do not want to afford (though K-Meleon native extensions are much less bulky than the FFox XUL extensions that we addopt smiling smiley. And redundant for me means not used by the majority.

BTW. K-Meleon has a lot of features & is still lean compared to some other browsers. When we had no installable extensions I also liked lots of out of the box features - but I am past it tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2007 11:48PM by guenter.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 25, 2007 02:43AM

How should we change cache size? I know something will come from the devs for this, but I was trying to help erica http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,75409 and my macro does everything except change the values.

It is just a temporary macro but I would like to get it working just to prove to myself that I can.

Date: October 25, 2007 06:44AM

@JamesD - it can be done via about:config. But it is easier if You rename a 1.1 K-Meleon.exe drop it in the 1.5 directory and start it and set it via 1.1 Preference interface smiling smiley - That is how lazy me set some things instead of using about:config tongue sticking out smiley

kko is AFAIassume working on the next extended prefs which probably include interfaces for the GUI dialogs scarificed for further enhencements in XUL handling.

Date: October 25, 2007 11:05AM

@JamesD - I am totally pragmatic and cannot type anything. So, my macro skills are non-extant, which is probably what you actually want to do. Like guenter, I would type about:config in the toolbar, continue through the warning and look for the value browser.cache.disk.capacity and the set its value to what you want. (Some purists will tell you to set it in multiples of 1024, however)

Date: October 25, 2007 11:11AM

@kko - thanks for the insights about the FF user agent. Using what guenter said about resetting the strings, I changed it to those for FF 2.0.0.8 and for the first time was able to spoof MSNBC's video program and watch their wmf news stories.

Date: October 25, 2007 01:46PM

@ Terry and guenter

Thanks for the info. I have no reason to change my cache size. I was only trying to help erica. Looks like these two prefs cannot be updated by the macro language. I guess they are protected or are overwritten upon exit. Just for information, I would like to which.

Date: October 25, 2007 02:11PM

Question for devs --

I see that macros will have to be in UTF-8. What does that mean for me? Will I have to find a new editor. I use Crimson Editor now and write in plain old English and I suspect ASCII.

I have just started a major project to revise the wiki Macro Language page. I have some code in the sandbox. http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/SandBox I was just getting started so the only major change is to the comment statement. I am trying to remove the grey areas that happen when code /code is used. I was also going to try to organize the page more like the external page.

Should I not do any work on the Macro Language page?

Date: October 25, 2007 02:18PM

@JamesD - I found the other post also and tried to answer in short sentences so that the translation scripts have an better chance. Hope it helps.

p. s. Possibly Your script does not have the privileges - we will see.
Guess we should create a Japanese about:config because we need one smiling smiley

Posted by: Googer
Date: October 25, 2007 02:56PM

Bug: with browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled set to false, K-Meleon crashes if you ctrl-tab / ctrl-alt-tab when the location / URL bar has focus.

Date: October 25, 2007 03:16PM

JamesD
Looks like these two prefs cannot be updated by the macro language. I guess they are protected or are overwritten upon exit. Just for information, I would like to which.

Your macro works fine for me (in 1.5).

JamesD
I see that macros will have to be in UTF-8. What does that mean for me? Will I have to find a new editor. I use Crimson Editor now and write in plain old English and I suspect ASCII.

Writing "in plain old English" you can't make anything wrong. You only have to take care when using accents (á,à,...), umlauts (ä,ö,ü) and such (which you mustn't anyway).

JamesD
I have just started a major project to revise the wiki Macro Language page. I have some code in the sandbox. http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/SandBox I was just getting started so the only major change is to the comment statement. I am trying to remove the grey areas that happen when code /code is used. I was also going to try to organize the page more like the external page.

Should I not do any work on the Macro Language page?

I also think that the MacroLanguage page should be worked over. I worked on it last in summer, but it was reported that it's still incomplete in comparison to my external reference. I would greatly appreciate it when you volunteer to do that, so I can focus on other things (I probably won't have time for it before next summer anyway).

Since km 1.5 introduced a new macro parser, I think it would be best to make a clear cut and start from scratch. For now, first create a new page MacroLanguage2 and work on it. When it's finished, we can exchange the contents of MacroLanguage and MacroLanguage2 later.

Tips:
1) Don't focus on the layout, focus on the contents. Use semantic markup i.e. markup code as code (it's secondary how that is looking).
2) When you find any discrepancies between the wiki documentation and mine, send me a mail (mine should be correct, but there's no guarantee).

Date: October 25, 2007 04:16PM

@ kko

I recently added several statement to the Macro Language page which I found on the external page. They are rebuildmenu, menugrayed, menuchecked, delpref, and forcecharset. I did not add setcheck or menu because I thought they might be depreciated by newer statements. If they should be included then I will do that.

I also see that there are some new and expanded items in the external page. I will try to get those included also.

Don't expect big results quick. I have to plan the organization of the page on paper first and list items within their headings. There will be more work there than actually writing the page.

The cache15a1 macro does not change the values on my system. I have everything within the KM15a1 folder and I run with admin rights on XP. I wonder if it would work for erica? I had not planned to continue work on cache15a1.

Date: October 25, 2007 08:50PM

JamesD
I did not add setcheck or menu because I thought they might be depreciated by newer statements.

That's right. They are still supported but shouldn't be used anymore to avoid problems.

JamesD
Don't expect big results quick.

No need to hurry. You do it volunteerily, so it takes as long as it takes...

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 29, 2007 09:34PM

Terry,

Would you mind posting that useragent string here (for cut and paste use).

Tks,

N

Posted by: hxf01
Date: October 30, 2007 01:21AM

i would like to translate kmeleon to chinese-version. would you please send the kmeleon's English pack to my mailbox,jhxu87@gmail.com?

Posted by: desga2
Date: October 30, 2007 10:27AM

@ndebord:
- For spanish:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; es-ES; rv:1.8.1.8) Gecko/20071008 Firefox/2.0.0.8

- For english:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.8) Gecko/20071008 Firefox/2.0.0.8

@hxf01:
You must read this page, this contains links to download files requerided and the needed instructions.
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/Localization

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: October 30, 2007 11:06AM

@ndeborg
desaga2 has it spot on. Sorry for being late - was out of town. Just overwrite what is given for useragent1 with the following in about:config

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.8) Gecko/20071008 Firefox/2.0.0.8

Posted by: Kidman
Date: October 30, 2007 02:16PM

The serach seems to be different. In 1.1.2 I could enter something into the URL bar and hit ^STRG+G and it would immediately search for the keywords with my default search engine. Now it always pops up the dialog, where I have to enter the keywords again.

Date: October 30, 2007 05:50PM

@Kidman: Have you tried typing into the URL bar and then clicking on the little icon that looks like a circular world?

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 30, 2007 08:28PM

desga,

Much thanks for the useragent string. Works beautifully.

<g>

N

Date: October 30, 2007 10:50PM

@ kko

In the new macro language parser for version 1.5, is it correct to say that all strings must be enclosed in double quotes? I am working on the documentation and have the following item from the current page.

Special Strings

Strings should be enclosed in double quotes although not required unless the string contains operators. A backslash is used to escape special characters:

Should the 'although not required unless the string contains operators' be dropped from this sentence?

Posted by: Kidman
Date: October 31, 2007 03:15PM

@Terry: STRG+G and the "world" icon have the same behavior - they show a pop-up.

Date: October 31, 2007 03:47PM

@Kidman - since it doesn't have that behavior on my installation, perhaps you could look at how you have your tabs and windows appearing in relation to type urls. All of mine are set to create a new tab with none of them opening a new window.

Posted by: Dorian
Date: October 31, 2007 07:22PM

I would like to remind everyone that I'm not actively reading this thread. You need to report issues in the aforementionned place in the first post. Else nothing much will happen smiling smiley

Thank

Posted by: ra
Date: November 03, 2007 11:56PM

Oops, okay, added the bugs I found to the Wiki page.

Posted by: roger
Date: November 06, 2007 01:09AM

If a particular website won't accept K-Meleon, then I spoof Netscape. If it won't accept Netscape, then I spoof IE. Why anyone using a Gecko engined browser would want to spoof Opera is beyond me, but to each their own I guess. I have no problem with the User Agents K-Meleon includes with installation. Which browsers and what versions are for someone more familiar with computers than me to figure out.

Date: November 07, 2007 03:07PM

@ra: I need more information about your WMV files problem (what you did and what you expected to happen). Please create a new thread in the bugs forum. Thanks.

Posted by: erica
Date: November 10, 2007 11:06AM

The latest version.
Netscape Navigator is 9.0.0.3 Gecko1819pre
FireFox is 2.0.0.9 Gecko1819
For your information.
I omit the small part

Posted by: erica
Date: November 10, 2007 11:10AM

Dear sirs,
It is always opened in new window not a layer.
I do not change even if I change setting in various ways.
regards,

Pages: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.