Announcements :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-meleon announcements. 
Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: K-Meleon 1.5Beta2
Posted by: caktus
Date: June 10, 2008 04:29PM

Adam, I had this particular problem with nearly every version of KM until someone here at the Forum brought to my attention that changing the browser skin (which was the case) will result in reversion to default settings.

Hope this is of some help.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kko
Date: June 10, 2008 05:51PM

ndebord
KKO,

Reasonable to our discussion? Well that is an interesting point to raise. I suspect I've contributed some small bit over many years of using K-Meleon, going back to two previous developers before Dorian. One interesting aspect of the small K-Meleon community is the fact that over time there has almost always been two major players: the developer and the developer's assistant which has resulted in widely differing methods of dealing with the K-Meleon community of users: some more, some less appealing than others.

Off topic.
<°+++><

[This thread is dedicated to feedback and discussions regarding K-Meleon 1.5beta2. We were discussing the question whether the user agent strings for IE and Opera have to be included by default or not. If you want to discuss other questions, then please start a new thread.]

Posted by: desga2
Date: June 10, 2008 05:56PM

@ kko;
kko
Do me a favor, desga2, and see whether you can reproduce the first bug listed under "Tab bugs/improvements" (Unintentional duplication of the current tab). I can clearly reproduce it, but Dorian can't...

Yes i can reproduce it exactly as you explain. And i found in 1 way to reproduce it that:

left-click into the document (to make the menu disappear)
can be a left-click over a free space in Menu bar or Bookmarks bar.

I think this is a problem with mouse behaviour in tab bar. This stored your rigth click, wait some event, and when you are over tab bar this clone right clicked tab.
(similar effect to drag&drop; left click over tab, drag to tab bar free space and drop)

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 10, 2008 06:32PM

@ desga2 & kko

first bug listed under "Tab bugs/improvements" (Unintentional duplication of the current tab).

Is this problem specific only to Win2k? I cannot make it happen in 1.5beta2 under XP home. I did many times and various ways but I never got a duplicate tab.

Posted by: foobarly
Date: June 10, 2008 06:43PM

Let me just state that, while it's no business of mine and accounting nothing more than attitude, I am leaning towards ndebord side on the overall ongoing debate with kk0...

Sometimes one has to stand up and be counted. smiling smiley

Date: June 10, 2008 06:44PM

@ JamesD & kko;

It seems, I also use win2k.

@ kko;

Can you read this thread?

Is this a Gecko accelerator problem that i listen you comment some times or a bug in 1.5beta2?

@ foobarly:

Please, this isn't a Big Brother TV show. ¬_¬

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2008 06:48PM by desga2.

Date: June 10, 2008 08:55PM

@desga2 & JamesD

Thanks for your help. The problem seems to be specific to Win2k.

Date: June 10, 2008 08:56PM

desga2
Can you read this thread?

Is this a Gecko accelerator problem that i listen you comment some times or a bug in 1.5beta2?

All I can say so far is that Shift+Enter is occupied by the search macro in 1.5 (it has the same effect as Ctrl+G). Through Edit > Configuration > Accelerators it should be possible to override this association, theoretically...

Posted by: ra
Date: June 10, 2008 09:06PM

Hi,

kko
ra
Has anyone else problems closing the browser with [Ctrl]&[Alt]&[F4] with many tabs or windows open? For me, that doesn't work and afterwards the browser crashes.

Working fine for me. Might be OS related. Is it only with the accel or also with the menu (File > Exit K-Meleon)?
It's also with the menu. Happens with XP SP2 window only mode, and with XP SP3 with tabs on. But only after some time of browsing and with several windows/tabs open. Unfortunately I *can't* repro it with a short "start k-m, open three windows and do file - exit".

ra
BTW: Is Backspace scheduled to return in 1.5 gold to go back one page when you're not in a textbox/form?

Principally yes. If I remember right, there's a problem with Gecko. (Other accels are affected too.)
Great! In the past it was a patch that was applied before building Gecko.

A word regarding user agent strings: I don't care that much about them, but wanted to mention that it is indeed sometimes useful to have an IE agent around - taking into account that the page won't look like it should when it expects a true IE rendering engine. But a) you can't visit some pages without spoofing your user agent string and b) sometimes I just want to fool some pages to think I'm an ordinary visitor when I know that they keep track of everything, instead of revealing some Gecko browser or K-M very self.
If the dialog would clearly state that pages often won't look like they should with this user agent string, I don't see a problem in providing them, but benefits.

Date: June 10, 2008 09:22PM

foobarly
Let me just state that, while it's no business of mine and accounting nothing more than attitude, I am leaning towards ndebord side on the overall ongoing debate with kk0...

Sometimes one has to stand up and be counted. smiling smiley

Fine, then it's three out of 1700. I can still live with that. grinning smiley

Well, guys, I'm not interested in opinions - since everybody has an one. I'm ineterseted in reasons. When you can't found your opinion on reasons then it's no single cent worth. I'm a volunteer, I'm not your humble servant. I decide myself what I spend my time on. When you (Terry, ndebord, foobarly or whoever) want me to do something, you have to convince me. My dear! Is that so difficult? It is a simple question: What for do you (Terry, ndebord, foobarly or whoever) need the IE and Opera user agent strings in addition to the Firefox user agent string? Up to now, none of you was able to answer this question to me! :p

I don't want to be unfair. Terry at least tried to found his opinion on reasons. And also ndebord contributed an aspect:

ndebord
It is a decision not shared by other Gecko browsers. In Firefox, you can load up User Agent Switcher 0.6.11 and fill the oft-stated need to spoof a website with another browser's id.

It's just, since User Agent Switcher is a Firefox Add-On, it is obviously not included in Firefox by default. If, for Firefox, there were a real need to spoof a website with another browser's id, I'm sure the Firefox developers would include this feature by default. They do not. And thus they actually do share my decision, don't they? smiling smiley

Date: June 10, 2008 10:00PM

ra
kko
ra
Has anyone else problems closing the browser with [Ctrl]&[Alt]&[F4] with many tabs or windows open? For me, that doesn't work and afterwards the browser crashes.

Working fine for me. Might be OS related. Is it only with the accel or also with the menu (File > Exit K-Meleon)?
It's also with the menu. Happens with XP SP2 window only mode, and with XP SP3 with tabs on. But only after some time of browsing and with several windows/tabs open. Unfortunately I *can't* repro it with a short "start k-m, open three windows and do file - exit".

Hmmm, yet another difficult to reproduce bug. Can't promise anything, ra.

ra
A word regarding user agent strings: I don't care that much about them, but wanted to mention that it is indeed sometimes useful to have an IE agent around - taking into account that the page won't look like it should when it expects a true IE rendering engine. But a) you can't visit some pages without spoofing your user agent string and b) sometimes I just want to fool some pages to think I'm an ordinary visitor when I know that they keep track of everything, instead of revealing some Gecko browser or K-M very self.

Well, that's nothing new. Terry basically said the same and my answer is basically the same...

ra
If the dialog would clearly state that pages often won't look like they should with this user agent string, I don't see a problem in providing them, but benefits.

What dialog do you mean?

Date: June 10, 2008 11:12PM

Please, i said that i'll made an Extension to User Agent strings, what happen now?

I agree with kko, with Firefox and Seamonkey by default is enough.

All people says that like more Extension like Firefox, is it?

If you like more User Agent strings install my Extension or add it by your self the User Agent strings that you like or needed.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 11, 2008 01:55AM

desga2,

<<If you like more User Agent strings install my Extension or add it by your self the User Agent strings that you like or needed.>>

IMO, such an extension would be invaluable as it would allow you (I would assume?) to pick from a list of possibile strings instead of having to type in or cut and paste into the custom string dialog box, a laborious process if you needed to use more than one user agent string in any given browsing session.

Much appreciated.

N

Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 11, 2008 02:03AM

kko,

Not to try to be too nitpicking here, but the reason why FireFox and Seamonkey which also has such an user agent extension do it with extensions is precisely because they were willing to go with XPI extensions and incur the penalty of emulation software overhead and slower speed. Desag2's solution, a macro extension, sounds like the perfect way to do this kind of thing in the world of fast browsing, where KM is a contenda.

<g>

N

Date: June 11, 2008 02:09AM

@ ndebord;

I'm a proffesional, no problem. smiling smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: peter
Date: June 11, 2008 05:50PM

The accel. keys for completing domain conflict with the gecko default keys for opening link in new tab and in new window.

Is it possible to make these accel.keys effective only when input focus is on URLBar?

Date: June 11, 2008 06:31PM

@ peter;

Are you referring to same accelerator that this thread?
(Shift+Enter)

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: June 11, 2008 08:12PM

desga2
I'm a proffesional, no problem.

While this is clearly off-topic, I thought I would bring it up just for laughs.

While attending a local drag strip with my auto detailing products van, two young men came to me and said "we are proffessional auto detailer's and would like to buy some silicone tire dressing for a friends drag racing car." Well, apparently these Professionals did a real good job of applying it to the tires. In fact, they apparently applied it also the tire tread as when the light turned green, the vehicle just sat there and spun it's wheel's in a cloud of smoke. grinning smiley grinning smiley

Charlie

Posted by: ra
Date: June 11, 2008 09:40PM

kko
ra

What dialog do you mean?

Paranoia-tab in preferences. Either write it directly near the user agent string or make a pop up dialog when someone chooses IE. Then there's no point anymore in removing the IE ua string IMO.

Posted by: peter
Date: June 12, 2008 05:22AM

desga2
@ peter;

Are you referring to same accelerator that this thread?
(Shift+Enter)

I refer to any accelerators for domain completion.
I think it is better to make them active only when input focus in urlbar.

Posted by: Fred
Date: June 13, 2008 05:39AM

@ Dorian

KM-1.5Beta2 seems not to be capable of creating compreg.dat
and xpti.dat in Linux with wine.
I had to copy and paste these files from an older
version, to make the browser start.

Fred

Posted by: Adam Lau
Date: June 15, 2008 07:10PM

caktus
Adam, I had this particular problem with nearly every version of KM until someone here at the Forum brought to my attention that changing the browser skin (which was the case) will result in reversion to default settings.
I isolated the issue: I left out skin.js when I cutting down Phoenity to just mainbarhot.bmp and toolbars.cfg. Added skin.js back into the Phoenity folder and the Menu bar position remained persistent.

Posted by: Adam Lau
Date: June 15, 2008 07:24PM

Disregard the previous comment. All was well until the tenth launch. The Menu bar (index 3) reverted back to its position after the Main (index 0) and before the URL bar (index 1). Was bothered to the point to where I tried out Safari (3.1.1) for Windows to replace KM 1.5b2 as my primary alternative to Opera. A large installation and memory footprint, as well as a lack of customizeable settings led me back to KM and its quirkyness.

Date: June 16, 2008 02:41AM

Safari for Windows disappointed me to. It was also a bit difficult to get rid of. I've heard a lot of bad experiences with Safari for Windows. Perhaps it was never really meant to go beyond the MAC.

I've straitened out my connection settings with 1.5a2. Well, actually I gave up trying to troubleshoot my problem and just dumped all my connection tweaks. But 1.5a2 is still eating a bit more memory than usual, but doesn't seem to be causing a problem. I've downloaded 1.5b2 but I'm still a bit skittish about installing it as I continue to read of problems with it. I know that the Dev's will get it all worked out if they haven't already. But for now I'm going to continue using 1.5a2 and be thankful for what I've got.

Charlie

Posted by: Cartaphilus
Date: June 16, 2008 10:54PM

Dear Sirs,
I did started KM,welcome K-Meleon not appearance.
Regards,
--UTF8 in Japanese--
K-Meleonを起動するとWelcome K-Meleonの画面が表示されないで、Emptyの白い画面が表示されます。
仕様が変わったのでしょうか、それとも私のインストールの方法が間違っていたのでしょうか。
--
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/ozanari3/

Posted by: RomeoWhite
Date: June 17, 2008 07:58AM

Hello, dear friends, I am from Russia, so my english language is not very goodsmiling smiley
I need a help. I downloaded KMb2,install, and every time after starting the program writes:

How to fix this problem?
Sorry, I have not read three pages of this topic - Difficult to translate text.

THX!

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: June 17, 2008 09:18AM

Delete layers.dll in kplugins > No more needed

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: June 17, 2008 03:03PM

JujuLand
Delete layers.dll in kplugins > No more needed

A+
Sorry, I did not find this file (

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: June 17, 2008 03:14PM

In this case, it's probably due to an old macro in macro folder.

Look at this, sort it by date to easily locate something out of date, and change just the extension to test.

Report here what you have find.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: June 17, 2008 03:54PM

JujuLand, i rename (extension) a file in macro folder.I run the km and saw "Macro parset error",as in the upper message.
http://smages.com/d8/02/d80244e8794676441c14aaa2fae7375b.png.htm

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.