Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
Port AutoFill from SeaMonkey?
Posted by: ndebord
Date: February 09, 2010 04:17PM

This works great on SeaMonkey and is particularly relevant since the Gecko 1.9xxx code seems to have a major bug (unfixed) that can in some situations, save your credit card and password info in the clear.

http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmisc.html#autofillforms

N

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Port AutoFill from SeaMonkey?
Posted by: disrupted
Date: February 09, 2010 07:59PM

i tried this one in firefox format a while back..couldn't convert it, i'll test this one but i doubt very much it will work cause there's still the same problem of converting the javascript to read the extension prefs(form fillers) and then inject them back into the page containing forms, it needs a real js programmer like klaus

Date: February 10, 2010 05:59AM

disrupted
i tried this one in firefox format a while back..couldn't convert it, i'll test this one but i doubt very much it will work cause there's still the same problem of converting the javascript to read the extension prefs(form fillers) and then inject them back into the page containing forms, it needs a real js programmer like klaus

Disrupted,

Well then, if not this app, something similar that will work better with KM?

<wry grin>

N

Posted by: disrupted
Date: February 10, 2010 06:06PM

i tried many form fillers xpis..nothing works, all need a proper rewrite for kmeleon and even then it will not work very smoothly. i also tried an autoit implementation but very baroque and not practical, because autoit does not know what the forms are e.g. email, surname, address etc.. i jts made it with a standard filler more commonly used where surname comes first then first name then email then phone then address..so it fills in that exact manner..it will work if the forms are exactly listed to autoit's coding but other than that because it can't read the form's object name it's like shooting bats in the dark. so it will work or can be coded to fit an exact website but will not work properly with others..in someway it's similar to gunter's implentation with that famous form filler application that they don't want to support kmeleon.

for a browser like kmeleon, i think the best way to implement a form fillerand make it function is like that:

1- write custom/user form prefs in pref.js through an xul dialog- this is a very eays part and any xul dialog can be borrowed with very slight modifications.

2- the tricky part will need a k-plugin. it will do the following:
a- read the prefs for the autofiller from prefs.js
b- read form object names to identify the proper fill and inject

so it needs js + c++ developers(kko, dorian, mark307, alain, desga) and should be available as default installation like privacy and session kplugins etc

perhas it should be added to imprvement requests

Date: February 11, 2010 01:31AM

disrupted,

The idea that an exploit can read your cache to steal autofill info is disturbing.

I have been looking at standalone alternatives, like PasswordSafe (which doesn't work all that well. Sometimes it puts the password in user id).

It does sound like autoit is not flexible enough to be practical. And XPI, from your post, doesn't look promising either.

I guess I could have predicted the next step: XUL (sigh)

And finding that C++ developer with time free to do this. <VBG> Perhaps someone other than Dorian, whose plate is most definitely full with Gecko 1.9.xxx.

My feeling is that after reading about all the issues with integrated SQLite dBases, that there are new security holes that didn't exist before are now integrated into the new Gecko. Add in Google as the black/white hat doorkeeper and the hard drive churn issues with constant writes (death to my laptop when running on battery) then the idea that things like passwords, cookies and bookmarks can be made to work with either modules or external standalone apps is really quite a sell for me.

(Just my 2 cents worth)

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2010 01:57AM by ndebord.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 11, 2010 06:27AM

disrupted
i tried this one in firefox format a while back..couldn't convert it,

Possibly needs satchel.dll/xpt.

AFAIk the 2 files are not in SeaMonkey/K-Meleon 1.8.x GRE.
But the exist in Firefox with 1.8.x GRE.

The files were not included in recent test versions based on 1.9.x GRE.

Either way You could build a non static GRE and try whether it is this module.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2010 03:56PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.