Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
ZOTERO
Posted by: koona
Date: March 12, 2010 09:43PM

Hello folks

I am amazed that a search of the forums yields no reference to Zotero a FF plugin to help you collect, manage, cite, and share research sources. It is the cats ass for the intended purpose except for the fact that it requires memory hogging, cumbersome, firefox.

How about it folks? Anybody out there have tales to tell of making a nice research tool out of fast, cleanmachine, K-Meleon?

I would love to hear it if you do.

yours

douglas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ZOTERO
Posted by: disrupted
Date: March 13, 2010 02:38PM

douglas, i tried but even a programmer wouldn't be able to make that one work in k-meleon because it needs someone who knows their api.

unfortunately only the developers of zotero can make one for us.
you can contact them there
http://www.zotero.org/support/contact_us

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 13, 2010 09:29PM

koona, I doubt that I want the bulky infra structure that it needs in my every day browser - any time soon at least before my PCs get much more powerful.

I have extracted the XPI & read a little in some of the files - zotero invokes FF services such as drag and drop in XUL surfaces. & From what it does (on its home page there is a film that shows it in action) I assume it uses sqlite.

koona
except for the fact that it requires memory hogging

So IMHO it needs the very services that cause FF to be "memory hogging".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2010 09:32PM by guenter.

Posted by: koona
Date: March 16, 2010 09:00PM

Thanks very much disrupted and guenter

The situation appears to be much as I expected, and as you suggest I think I will contact zotero again, and promote my minimalist viewpoints on personal computing methodologies.

I agree, guenter, bulking up K-Meleon's infrastructure would defeat it's strong points. On most of my machines I stick to 1.1.5 for that very reason.

thanks again

douglas

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.