Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
grab 'n scroll
Posted by: disrupted
Date: March 21, 2010 10:07AM

enables scrolling the page by grabbing(mouse leftclick)
edit>configuration> enable grab nscroll(toggle)

see end of thread-download matt's grab/drag or from kmext

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 09:58AM by disrupted.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: grab 'n scroll
Posted by: jsnj
Date: March 21, 2010 08:31PM

Havent tested on 1.5.4 but doesn't work on 1.6a3b4 for me. Also, it causes problems in text fields and disables selecting text. Did it work properly for you in the alpha?

Date: March 21, 2010 09:40PM

i don't test extensions in alpha. alpha is alpha..obviously there could be many issues preventing an extension to work not related to the extension itself in an alpha build.

it works in 1.5.4 and 1.1.4 and that's what matters, when 1.6 is released officially then the extension could be tested and if it doesn;t work then(unlikely) one can be made for that specific version.

the disabling of selected text is a natural result of js event listener for the mouse, it overrides and there's no way around it..even in the xul firefox extension it acts the same way, you can no longer select text and the firefox user who asked for the feature is probably aware of that... it becomes a matter of priorities for the laptop/touchpad user..select text or scroll, it's their choice and there's the option to disable the grab in edit?configuration when they need to select text.

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: March 21, 2010 09:47PM

and they can always select text using short commands ctrl+a

Posted by: disrrupted
Date: March 21, 2010 10:27PM

i just tested with 1.6, it doesn't work.. no idea why, the js injected shouldn't make any difference in gecko1.9.. however it is injected cause the mouse eventlistener overrides but no scroll happens..have to wait till 1.6 is stable

Posted by: panzer
Date: March 22, 2010 04:33PM

With my 1.5.4 it does not work. Nothing happens, and when I tried to move, pic on page gets burned in the backround and vanishes when I stop moving.

i will wait for v1.6. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2010 04:38PM by panzer.

Date: March 22, 2010 04:41PM

did you try to click and hold the left mouse button..then move the mouse up or down while pressing the left button down. in a proper extension the cursor should change to look like a hand similar to the firefox extension or adobe acrobat to indicate move-ready..but couldn't do it, too complicated js

Date: March 22, 2010 04:48PM

disrupted
did you try to click and hold the left mouse button..then move the mouse up or down while pressing the left button down. in a proper extension the cursor should change to look like a hand similar to the firefox extension or adobe acrobat to indicate move-ready..but couldn't do it, too complicated js

Yes. No hand was visible. I tried it offline but this should not matter.

Date: March 23, 2010 08:45AM

yes..offline doesn't matter, i even tested with default readme local homepage and it worked. the cursor does not change.. that's the problem there's no indication that you can grab by cursor change like in the firefox extension or adobe acrobat..you just have press the left button and hold it down while scrolling. it might not work if global js is blocked.. i'm not sure though, i might try a different js because this one doesn't work with 1.6 but not sure because it's alpha or gecko 1.9 doesn't like it but i'll search online for a ready-made js or something like a bookmarklet... my js is very limited.

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: March 23, 2010 08:55AM

Hi, disrupted,

the disabling of selected text is a natural result of js event listener for the mouse, it overrides and there's no way around it..even in the xul firefox extension it acts the same way, you can no longer select text and the firefox user who asked for the feature is probably aware of that...

GnD temporarily disables the feature on DoubleClick, if I remember well.

But, please, disrupted, you should NOT work hard on this - it IS bound to break some features of our Gestures, which I, personally, cherish more. As I found out about autoscroll since, I can well live without it.

I'm just reminiscing that "ease and elegance", not expecting to get it on top of the ease and elegance of our Gestures.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: March 23, 2010 01:34PM

i didn't know it disabled gestures because i don't use them. i removed gran n scroll from kmext, thanks soren. the file is still available for download if anyone who doesn't use gestures and really needs it because of laptop touchpad etc but is no longer listed on kmext because of those conflicts

Posted by: Matt
Date: March 27, 2010 06:27PM

This extension let you scroll with left mouse button; it turns the cursor into a scroller (disrupted was faster than me ;-))

menu entry: page context > Scroll by dragging

To turn it off execute it again.

panzer, this works with K-M 1.5.4.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2010 06:29PM by Matt.

Attachments: srcoll_by_dragging.7z (832 bytes)  
Date: March 28, 2010 09:57AM

this works much better i couldn't do the cursor change in my primitive js and yours scrolls much smoother as well.. i think activating/deactivating per choice is better as this will prevent the gestures conflict

i renamed it as grab n scroll(to be similar to the firefox extension people will be looking for, i hope that's alright

uploaded to kmext under enhancements
thank you matt

Date: March 28, 2010 10:13AM

It works. grinning smiley

Matt, if you continue like this, Disrupted will be out of business. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 11:08AM by panzer.

Posted by: Matt
Date: March 28, 2010 06:54PM

panzer
It works. grinning smiley

That's great. Grab 'n scroll should also work with K-M 1.6 but I didn't tested it yet.

panzer
Matt, if you continue like this, Disrupted will be out of business. grinning smiley

The one who deserves respect is disrupted. He made this extension from scratch (not to mention his numerous previous contributions). I just clean here.

Date: March 29, 2010 05:50PM

Matt

To turn it off execute it again.

If you move one page ahead on forum, it shuts down and you have to enable it again. But otherwise, great!

Date: March 29, 2010 06:33PM

grinning smiley all km contributors deserve credit,ideas are just as important as executing them

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.