Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
bbc iplayer/itv proxy
Posted by: disrupted
Date: April 02, 2010 12:43AM

enables non uk residents to view the bbc and itv streams. thanks to senna and the expat in spain for the inspiration

this extension relies on a pac file proxy which makes it different from other proxy extensions in other browsers as the pac file was written specifically for the bbc and itv, meaning all your regular surfing to all other websites will be directly through your isp as normal and only iplayer and itv will be redirected through the proxy to fool them as a uk ip address. this is useful when using free proxy addresses because they are not always 100% reliable and eventually the uptime will go down.. this is the reason why the proxy has extra features to enable editing the proxy address easily for both advanced and regular users.

currently the proxy is using a server at technical arts school which is reliable so far and fast but it's inevitable that it will need to be replaced by a fresh proxy server... so bear that in mind.

first time the extension is installed, it will notfy with a message..the proxy is autoset as default(you can disable it from tools>proxy>direct)

you will not see that message again

the extension enables editing the proxy address in 3 methods..first methodm is by going to tools>proxy>bbc iplayer set and select config

this will open a small configuartion window displaying the curent used address, enter a new address in the buffer below(you can obtain fresh proxies from websites like samair.ru but make sure they are uk based)
click the set button so the pac file is updated, note: the config is oolproof and will not allow invalid proxy addresses, in case bad address; you will be notified with an infotip

the other method is by manually editing the pac file in notepad, this method is for advanced users only, clicking on the editor button in the config will open the pac in notepad
note; the highlighted part in the screenshot is the part where you will need to edit, as an extra bonus to make surfing easy, the pac is configured to use a codeen service for auto- complete webaddresses in the urlbar (adding .com and .net etc automatically) example type cnn will automatically convert it to cnn.com and load the website..this does not affect search from the urlbar option when multiple words are entered(containing spaces.

the third method is the easiest, simply go to tools>proxy>bbc iplayer and select uk proxies

this will open a good proxy website with fresh uk proxies updated and tested daily
. highlight any proxy address on the page and right click and select iplayer proxy..this will automatically add the selected address to the pac file replacing the older proxy server.

here are test results:
without the bbciplayer proxy, you get a message "not available in your area etc"

connecting through the bbciplayer proxy:

also tested on itv:

download from this link
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/BBCiplayer-proxy.7z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2010 12:44AM by disrupted.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bbc iplayer/itv proxy
Posted by: soccerfan
Date: April 02, 2010 11:26PM

Thanks disrupted... but
my perennial question: Will it work in km 1.1.3 also?

soccerfan

Date: April 03, 2010 01:14AM

soccerfan
grinning smiley

new version for 1.1.x
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/BBCiplayer-proxy1.1.x.7z

for 1.5.x:
slight update: help file link

soccer, there are few differences in 1.1.x but it will still work but the proxy displayed in the menu will not be 'bbc iplayer proxy' but will be 'auto configure'.. i'm not sure why but 1.1.x proxy dialog is internal in exe and not in the chrome but this shouldn't affect as long as prefs read are the same. i'll try to understand it when i have time but for now the 1.1.x version will work just fine just doesn't show the proper proxy name

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2010 01:22AM by disrupted.

Posted by: soccerfan
Date: April 03, 2010 02:22PM

Thanks for the 1.1.x version disrupted! Much appreciated.

soccerfan

Date: April 03, 2010 07:30PM

thank you soccer, i'll try to make it better for 1.x and display the right proxy name

Posted by: jon
Date: May 09, 2010 05:58PM

this is amazing, i appreciate this. thanks!

Date: May 10, 2010 11:46PM

thankyou jon, glad you find it useful, remeber if it stops working then the proxy server needs to be updated just follow steps above

Posted by: mrspone
Date: February 24, 2013 10:22PM

er how do i install these extentions ?

Posted by: panzer
Date: February 26, 2013 08:13AM

Just unzip it into Km folder.

Posted by: Alessio
Date: May 22, 2019 04:02PM

disrupted
soccerfan
grinning smiley

new version for 1.1.x
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/BBCiplayer-proxy1.1.x.7z

for 1.5.x:
slight update: help file link

soccer, there are few differences in 1.1.x but it will still work but the proxy displayed in the menu will not be 'watch bbc iplayer proxy' but will be 'auto configure'.. i'm not sure why but 1.1.x proxy dialog is internal in exe and not in the chrome but this shouldn't affect as long as prefs read are the same. i'll try to understand it when i have time but for now the 1.1.x version will work just fine just doesn't show the proper proxy name

Sorry for bringing up an old topic. Anyone use smart dns for BBC iPlayer on smart TV?
I want to stream it to my TV without proxy

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.