Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
WOT & K-Meleon?
Posted by: Daveski17
Date: April 02, 2010 06:18PM

Is there a plug-in available for WOT in KM? Has anyone used WOT & how does it compare with McAfee's Site Advisor.

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WOT & K-Meleon?
Posted by: disrupted
Date: April 02, 2010 07:02PM

there's wot extension, which can be downloaded from
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/macros/WOTratings.7z
enables viewing wot rating for links or current page

wot is reputation by users and should not be taken for granted as what they 'recommend' is true..in my opinion, it's a controversial extension and there has been several complaints by websites that wot people may give bad ratings not in a trustworthy way but more for personal issues. worth mentioning that one of the first wot founders was incriminated in a scam which caused a scandal..wot doesn't know if a website contains malware etc but i suppose it can give ratings on shopping websites where users may have had bad experience or delayed delivery etc..anyway it's a nanny extension made by housewives for housewives and it's only popular because people are brainwashed same reason a spying extension like noscript is popular.

site advisor is a spyware and virus scanner for websites(computer not people).. it can detect trojans or malware scripts embedded in a page

Date: April 02, 2010 11:23PM

OK, thanks for the info. I didn't know Site Advisor could detect malware on a page.

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Posted by: disrupted
Date: April 03, 2010 12:58AM

under kmext privacy and security..you will find several good extensions by alain and matt that scan pages for bad things. i cant really see the usefulness of wot.. unless you're blonde and got scammed into buying a fake rolex from a con site tongue sticking out smiley

Date: April 04, 2010 03:55PM

LOL!

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Posted by: KM2005
Date: October 11, 2015 03:09PM

The WOT toolbar button had the ability to work before KM 7x if a page was opened with javascript disabled and then javascipt could be enabled after the page loaded to re-enable the WOT extension. With KM7x, I've found the WOT toolbar button no longer will work if a page was loaded with javascript disabled then re-enabled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2015 03:11PM by KM2005.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 13, 2015 12:42AM

The gecko engine since KM75 had fundamental changes in the way javascript-permissions are toggled. To work around all those blocks Dorian had to invent a couple more JS-toggles. If I get it right there are now 4!!

navToggleJS

(the traditional, global one, but does not affect already loaded page)

pageToggleJS + enable + disable

Look at this page at the bottom:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/CommandIds

Cannot test it myself on my Vista-offline disaster machine, so not sure how this all works together. Someone explained that the global pref has priority, am afraid that means the pageToggle only works for blocking, not for allowing, but no idea.
Just play around with it yourself, perhaps try creating a second JS button that toggles the page-JS, or add it to a context menu.
Take main.kmm as example, the traditional global toggle is:
pref_ToggleJavaScript
Or what if you add the page-toggle inside this one?

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Date: October 13, 2015 12:58AM

Just suggestion for your testing :cool:

pref_ToggleJavaScript{
macroinfo=_("Toggle JavaScript execution");
menuchecked=!getpref(BOOL,$pref_JavaScript);
id(navToggleJS); &_pref_SyncButtons;
getpref(BOOL,$pref_JavaScript) ? id(pageEnableJS) : id(pageDisableJS);
statusbar(sub("%s",!getpref(BOOL,$pref_JavaScript)?$off:$on,_("JavaScript execution %s")));
}

The prob is, you'll have to keep in mind that just because the JS-button is green or red, that doesn't show anymore if THAT page has js allowed or not sad smiley Problematic when the JS-button was toggled on another page.
Although a macro could probably flip through all tabs and fire the pageJS-toggle in each, but not sure about consequences, am lacking a deeper understanding of that complex JS-stuff in KM75. What I wonder too: would the nav or page toggles now automatically reload anything or not?? In my old KM1.6 certainly not, while the adblock and image-animation toggles do seem to reload all the blocked stuff in ALL tabs, a major pain! Now am afraid if injecting pageJS in all tabs automatically, it may LOAD all the blocked scripts from the web and RUN them?! Oh well, up to other people to figure out.

Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2015 01:00AM by siria.

Date: October 13, 2015 05:13AM

siria, even easier: With your hints, I just noticed the 'JavaScript Page' toggle in the KM74 toolbar.cfg is editted out. I knew there was one javascrpt area there; but not two.

Making that area active indeed added a JavaScript Page toggle button and it deactivates/reactivates on a page without a page reload (like the pre-KM74), like I like.

Date: October 13, 2015 05:54AM

siria, at the moment I can say:
The JS global-previous edition button works as it did in the past, one button controls multiple open pages.

The JS Page button applies only to whichever page is in the forefront (currently showing page) when the button is toggled. The other pages remain unaffected--the JS page button is a per-page JS toggle.

As the JS Page button is toggeled, it doesn't do an automatic page reload; but it does allow a page to load with JS disabled then enable user-introduced JS, which is what I wanted. Thanks for the assistance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2015 06:03AM by KM2005.

Date: October 13, 2015 07:52AM

Glad it works now! smiling smiley
Had not discovered yet there's actually a pageToggleJS prepared in toolbar.cfg too, cool. The placement is a bit confusing though, the 2 JS-buttons have the proxy-button in the middle...

Good to know those toggles are not reloading the scripts, thanks for testing and info!
But got me wondering why a KM-button would need manual toggles, shouldn't injectJS work without any toggles? Took a look now inside the macro and no wonder - it's not using "injectJS" but "open(javascript...)"! The macro is dating from early 2010, perhaps at the time injectJS wasn't invented yet, or not long yet. The code both methods inject into a page is the same, the difference is just that injectJS is sort-of whitelisted to execute JS everywhere, regardless of current JS-permissions.

You may edit wotratings.kmm and near the beginning replace
open("javascript:document.get...
with
injectJS("document.get...

Date: October 13, 2015 02:07PM

siria
Glad it works now! smiling smiley
..,. The placement is a bit confusing though, the 2 JS-buttons have the proxy-button in the middle...
Not in mine, after modification throughout the years. I rearrange the Privacy bar layout and comment out ones I don't use or like (out: Clear All--I don't want to accidently clear all; Proxy--I use it through the menu very seldom and don't need quick access to a button for it; no Java, etc. In: JS and User Agent.

But got me wondering why a KM-button would need manual toggles, shouldn't injectJS work without any toggles?
JS is a security vulnerabilty. Many websites are coded with it for good. However, it may be used to run malcode too. I toggle ON/OFF a lot when visiting websites for the first time or intentionally going to bad websites in non-JS mode.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.