Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
lost RAM
Posted by: NewUse
Date: May 11, 2010 11:15PM

I don't know, if it is a trouble, but after every reloading (renewing by ctrl+r) of any page the using RAM size is increasing sad smiley and the same happened if I open a new tab, and after that close it, but RAM usage doesn’t return to the same size sad smiley(

I have no enough memory in my system and have to restart K-meleon every 2-3 hour of active Internet surfing sad smiley(
Could you help me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lost RAM
Posted by: guenter
Date: May 12, 2010 01:43AM

K-Meleon will try to get and is given by Windows the memory that is not not used by other applications. It is not a danger - K-Meleon can only get the memory Windows allows it. smiling smiley

If You want to force the release of the memory You just have to minimize K-Meleon.
Compare kko's comment.

AFAIK K-Meleon.ru forum also has similar help topics.

Greetings to Ru from DE

p.s. As Far As I Know K-Meleon does not have any memory leaks (leaks could cause permanent memory loss). The last 2 known leaks were closed in 2008.

For Windows 98 that has a week Windows memory manager maybe look via Google for external memory managers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2010 03:27AM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: May 12, 2010 07:00AM

guenter
For Windows 98 that has a week Windows memory manager maybe look via Google for external memory managers.
:cool: I'm quite happy with RAM Def XT, should have found this years earlier grinning smiley

Posted by: caktus
Date: May 12, 2010 03:34PM

I would have never thought that RAM would ever require defrag. Is defragging RAM at all necessary or at all helpful?

Thank you.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: May 12, 2010 05:25PM

For my ancient win98 machine it extends the time between system restarts about 10x :-) And whenever something slows down and hardly moves on anymore, I click the RAM button, it cleans a few seconds, and then everything runs as fast as before again :-)) Just that the span until the next time gets shorter each time.

Date: May 12, 2010 05:35PM

grinning smiley I do not know whether it is fragmentation.

Windows 95, 98, Me memory management is suboptimal.

Some off of K-Meleon's helper plugins such as Java need an external memory manager or a program that can force Windows to release memory. I always used such a program when I surfed lake applets sites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2010 06:36PM by guenter.

Date: May 12, 2010 09:59PM

Danke aus Ru zur DE smiling smiley

Thanks to all, the trouble is that after 150MB of using RAM Windows begins to swap (and it is too slow) , and the minimizing doesn’t help sad smiley(

I’ll try to ask on Russian forum, because my English is too bad sad smiley

Posted by: Eugen Mezei
Date: May 12, 2010 11:14PM

Guenter, stop telling the same bullshit again and again. No problem ever dissapeared by ingoring or negating it. All 1.5x versions of KM present the problem eating memory, this is not the case with earlier verions. I told you this countless times in more than one thread. If you can not reproduce this problem than the logic is not that it doesn't exist, other users have identified it. The Mozilla patch doesn't help, recommending that is futile.

Myself had the problem on various machines under XP (different SP 1-3). KM eats relatively fast about 140-160 MB, that is a big problem on a machine with 265 MB. Than it goes something continues to go up slower but constantly with memory consumption, saw it not once over the 200 MB limit. On a machine with 512 MB RAM you have better luck, it seems that the limit is somewhere around 200 MB so you are not totally blocked.
Features "hin oder her" the memory problem and the print rendering problem determinde me to almost completly abandon KM for private use and to never put it into productive work. (I intented to install it on a big pool of productive machines, but in the state KM actually is this would be irresponsible.)

Brauchst du Screnshots vom Speicherverbrauch?

Gruß,

Eugen

Date: May 12, 2010 11:19PM

Eugen Mezei
The Mozilla patch doesn't help, recommending that is futile.

Should read: Minimizing doesn't help, recommending this or the Mozilla patch are both futile.

Eugen

Date: May 13, 2010 04:18AM

@newuse, sorry for wrong answer - strastje smiling smiley

Eugen Mezei
Guenter, stop telling the same bullshit again and again. No problem ever dissapeared by ingoring or negating it. All 1.5x versions of KM present the problem eating memory, this is not the case with earlier verions. I told you this countless times in more than one thread. If you can not reproduce this problem than the logic is not that it doesn't exist, other users have identified it. The Mozilla patch doesn't help, recommending that is futile.

Myself had the problem on various machines under XP (different SP 1-3). KM eats relatively fast about 140-160 MB, that is a big problem on a machine with 265 MB. Than it goes something continues to go up slower but constantly with memory consumption, saw it not once over the 200 MB limit. On a machine with 512 MB RAM you have better luck, it seems that the limit is somewhere around 200 MB so you are not totally blocked.
Features "hin oder her" the memory problem and the print rendering problem determinde me to almost completly abandon KM for private use and to never put it into productive work. (I intented to install it on a big pool of productive machines, but in the state KM actually is this would be irresponsible.)

Brauchst du Screnshots vom Speicherverbrauch?

Gruß,

Eugen

ok, all but you are blind & irresponsible, so what?

p.s. A bug that is found on only one machine is not verified. & It does not happen here smiling smiley

BTW. I think that memory management is obligation of the OS not a browser e.g. K-Meleon.

Mir ist der Fehler egal solange er auf deinem Rechner ist grinning smiley

Mit Drucken ist ein älterer Post zur Lösung.

Aber ich bin nur ein alter, dummer Trottel, und werde bald nix mehr schreiben.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2010 04:46AM by guenter.

Posted by: caktus
Date: May 13, 2010 09:15PM

NewUse
Danke aus Ru zur DE smiling smiley

Thanks to all, the trouble is that after 150MB of using RAM Windows begins to swap (and it is too slow) , and the minimizing doesn’t help sad smiley(

I’ll try to ask on Russian forum, because my English is too bad sad smiley

Your English is better than mine and I was born and raised here.grinning smiley

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: disrupted
Date: May 13, 2010 10:20PM

it always depends of what sites you are browsing and if they use plugins and that's the most important thing in monitoring memory usage

flash and particularly action script flash will consume massive memory, however since its a library (dll) it will not show in your taskmamanger as the culprit for the memory leak but the program from which it's running from, like the browser.

so you think it's actually kmeleon using too much memory or leaking out when in fact it's a dll plugin

i made several tests before with 1.5.x and 1.6.x, with 1 tab, with 3 tabs and with 5 tabs
at one test all sites were not using plugins, very basic html and js code.. kmeleon mem usage remained constant after 30 mins to 1 hour and in some cases it actually went down

the second test wwas with flash(actionscript) and java runtime(sun java aplets not js), the memory usage will very slowly but gradually increase over time, after 1 hour it had almost doubled but this wasn't kmeleon's fault since the npswf32.dll was consuming that memory, when the tab or tabs with the flash content were closed the memory started to decline sharply.

as gunter and klaus have mentioned, minimising reduces the memory to defaults instantly which confirms there is no memory leak. you can test the difference with real memory leaks with firefox- without any flash or plugins and 1 tab only the memory will escalate and minimising has no affect whatsoever on memory usage.

this is not saying that you might not be suffering from this problem but it isn't a memory leak in km binary, but due to that many sites rely on actionscript flash(not just gaming sites) but this cant' be a proper memory test or proof of a mem leak cause all plugins will consume that memory through the binary which will appear to be at fault when it isn't

the sys requirements for km at 32mb ram might be unrealistic nowadays since most sites require much more ram for all the js and gimmicks but you can't really blame the browser for that

Date: May 13, 2010 10:52PM

here's steve jobs' take on flash:
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/10092298.stm

and adobe replies back
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10113915.stm

not that i entirely agree with jobs. i believe he has other personal reasons to restrict flash apps but he has valid points. this war of words is kinda funny when remembering adobe wouldn't exist in the first place without apple and apple revived them after they nearly died but adobe has became a monster ever since the macromedia acquisition and deliberately killed the best ever vector graphics program so they can promote their stupid illustrator(frustrator).. till this day, they neither want to update freehand or release the code to the public
http://www.freefreehand.org/
http://www.creativereview.co.uk/back-issues/creative-review/2009/march-20091/freehand-anonymous

Date: May 14, 2010 10:19AM

I am totally fed up with ppl that claim something is wrong but cannot give URLs where their so called problem can be reviewed by others.

I am totally fed up with ppl that think they are so special that it matters to me or anyone else here whether they

Eugen Mezei

completly abandon KM for private use and to never put it into productive work. (I intented to install it on a big pool of productive machines...

I simply do not give a fart whether the quoted country man of mine or anyone that depends on his installs uses K-Meleon. All what matters to me is that I can use it.

I am totally fed up with ppl that do not know what they talk about when they claim the browser leaks memory but really mean that it uses the huge amount of memory required to render rich content pages.

I am totally fed up with ppl that claim an application must not grab and keep RAM that is not currently used or needed by other applications or be the nanny memory manager for the OS.

It would be better for me if these trolls stop posting here and stop using K-Meleon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2010 11:18AM by guenter.

Date: May 14, 2010 10:35AM

In all 'my' other forums trollish posts get deleted instantly, and if the poster does it a second time, he's banned for good. There it's a much nicer and safer atmosphere, and I always regret that here everyone is instead allowed to play Rambo, run amok and (virtually) shoot over and knock down and kick and jump upon other completely nice and helpful members. Who extremely aggressively attack others without any reason. But that's perhaps the price for a forum that's open to everyone without subscribing, incl. all sorts of jerks sad smiley And with no admin (=forum owner) around anymore. But just glad there are still some very nice people holding through, no matter what :-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2010 10:41AM by siria.

Date: May 14, 2010 11:46AM

It is strange, but after I have disabled Java & JavaScript and tried to refresh this page the using memory increased again sad smiley(

Posted by: ndebord
Date: May 14, 2010 12:44PM

siria
In all 'my' other forums trollish posts get deleted instantly, and if the poster does it a second time, he's banned for good. There it's a much nicer and safer atmosphere, and I always regret that here everyone is instead allowed to play Rambo, run amok and (virtually) shoot over and knock down and kick and jump upon other completely nice and helpful members. Who extremely aggressively attack others without any reason. But that's perhaps the price for a forum that's open to everyone without subscribing, incl. all sorts of jerks sad smiley And with no admin (=forum owner) around anymore. But just glad there are still some very nice people holding through, no matter what :-)

siria,

It is not as though we have avoided major flame wars here... quite the contrary, but it is a custom here to allow the wise and the idiots to post and leave it up to the rest of the KM community to slap down those who deserve no better.

N

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: May 14, 2010 05:44PM

Hi,

we may not want to deal with these issues the hard way like the DVBViewer Support forum - the german original text, aiming at the broader user base, is even more demanding. There, using the support tool is not optional. but mandatory (do scroll down to see all!)
(german).

But what we should do more often: before answering any "bug reports" and similar we should try to get used to insisting on getting all the relevant information.
If you think so , too: why not start a new thread starting to list what the items to ask for should be?

PS: The next time I forget insisting: please remind me!

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2010 05:45PM by SoerenB.

Date: May 14, 2010 08:08PM

it's alright if some users have problems and they don't understand what the browser itself may need for basic functionability and what websites with heavy content may require, newuser explained the problem which is genuine but didn't supply links or os version and how much ram. eugene was quite disrespectful to gunter though

newuser, please can you give links to websites and state system specifics like windows version and how much ram you've got

for some systems, km 1.1x works better due to no real tabs implementation.. apply desgun unofficial gecko update and you will have a secure and updated browser

Date: June 14, 2010 08:30PM

Günter, your logic goes like this: If it can't be found on your computer than it was found only on one single other computer. (Read what you wrote in your posting.)

Nein, bist kein alter, dummer Trottel, nur fanatisch und gehst immer von deiner Situation aus, ohne zu erkennen, daß nicht dein Rechner der Maß der Dinge ist. Bei mir trat der Fehler sicher auf mindestens 20 Rechnern auf und du siehst, daß sich auch andere über denselben Fehler beklagen. Wenn man dann weiter das Problem negiert, dann ist das Fanatismus. Schreib aber weiter, im Allgemeinen schreibst du ja hilfreiche Sachen.

Wo wurde das Druckproblem besprochen? Finde auf den ersten Blick nichts.

Eugen

Date: June 14, 2010 08:50PM

disrupted
it always depends of what sites you are browsing and if they use plugins and that's the most important thing in monitoring memory usage

flash and particularly action script flash will consume massive memory, however since its a library (dll) it will not show in your taskmamanger as the culprit for the memory leak but the program from which it's running from, like the browser.

so you think it's actually kmeleon using too much memory or leaking out when in fact it's a dll plugin

That is true, but I'm browsing the same pages with IE or Mozilla too. The memory usage goes up too, but memory usage is not accumulated, memory is released again.

disrupted
i made several tests before with 1.5.x and 1.6.x, with 1 tab, with 3 tabs and with 5 tabs
at one test all sites were not using plugins, very basic html and js code.. kmeleon mem usage remained constant after 30 mins to 1 hour and in some cases it actually went down

Speaking about usage in a productive environment means up to 8 hours, maybe more continuously use. But anyhow, I often get memory consumption by KM only after 5-10 minutes. Exactly as you stated, depending which sites I do access. Difference, other browsers release the memory after a time, KM does not.

disrupted

the second test wwas with flash(actionscript) and java runtime(sun java aplets not js), the memory usage will very slowly but gradually increase over time, after 1 hour it had almost doubled but this wasn't kmeleon's fault since the npswf32.dll was consuming that memory, when the tab or tabs with the flash content were closed the memory started to decline sharply.

Exactly this is what I can infirm on my computers.

disrupted
as gunter and klaus have mentioned, minimising reduces the memory to defaults instantly

Ofcourse I tried that reccomendation in the hope to solve the problem. Too bad it didn't so.
I told this countless times, but in the eyes of some I'm just inventing things. Again: It does not work, punctum.

disrupted
which confirms there is no memory leak. you can test the difference with real memory leaks with firefox- without any flash or plugins and 1 tab only the memory will escalate and minimising has no affect whatsoever on memory usage.

this is not saying that you might not be suffering from this problem but it isn't a memory leak in km binary, but due to that many sites rely on actionscript flash(not just gaming sites) but this cant' be a proper memory test or proof of a mem leak cause all plugins will consume that memory through the binary which will appear to be at fault when it isn't

Call it memory leak (I never used this term) or not, fact is that on the same machines KM eats memory and other browsers not.
I never had problems with KM 1.1x, the memory problem appeared only with the 1.2x versions.

disrupted
the sys requirements for km at 32mb ram might be unrealistic nowadays since most sites require much more ram for all the js and gimmicks but you can't really blame the browser for that

Still no problems with 1.1x versions in respect to memory consumption, even today not.

Eugen

Posted by: slayer
Date: June 14, 2010 09:44PM

If you think that with the 1.1x version of KM, the memory consumption was better, you could help the developers finding the exact more closer version to the 1.2x
For example: 1.19 gives a better performance than 1.2, so there was a change in the code in the 1.2. The developers should then know, comparing both versions, what was changed.

Date: June 14, 2010 10:04PM

guenter
I am totally fed up with ppl that claim something is wrong but cannot give URLs where their so called problem can be reviewed by others.

What you wish this URL should point to? I can only think about a screenshot but I don't see what more information it delivers than what I told you before.

guenter
I am totally fed up with ppl that think they are so special

It is not about me being special or not, it is about a fault I (and others) experienced. (Remember I never stated who causes this fault I only know it appears when KM is running.)

guenter
that it matters to me or anyone else here whether they

It's also not about what matters or doesn't to you. It is about you denying a problem just on the logic that you don't have it's impossible anyone else could have it, no matter that more than a dozen people complain about it.
Please don't consider you as the measure for the entire world and btw, pls. don't speak in the name of "anyone else".

Eugen Mezei

completly abandon KM for private use and to never put it into productive work. (I intented to install it on a big pool of productive machines...

guenter
I simply do not give a fart

Lack of arguments ---> going rude?
Beside that it is not about what you give or not, I wrote which consequences I took. Simply as that, difficult to understand? What do you expect, to put unreliable software into a productive environment? I don't have the luxury solving problems by ignoring them or denying facts. You are in a lot luckier position.

guenter
whether the quoted country man of mine

Wrong again. Please talk facts not presumptions. I am not a countrymen of you. Egually not as your computer is not the measure for all the computers running KM. Wishtinking, phantasies and false presumption will bring us nowhere furter.

guenter
or anyone that depends on his installs uses K-Meleon. All what matters to me is that I can use it.

That's fine for me. It still does not make true your statement the memory problem would be inexistent.

guenter
I am totally fed up with ppl that do not know what they talk about

If you mean I don't know internals of KM than you are true. I never wrote that.
What I know I'm talking about is what I'm constating and that was the only thing I ever talked about.
Problem is I (and others) constate, you deny by ignorance. Deny, but please based on facts.
In your opinion the problem doesn't exist as long as you don't want it to exist. But again, you are not the center of the world. Too bad, isn't it?
I'm constating, you're ignoring (that would be fine but more than that you deny based on wishtingking, not facts). If you know what you are talking about, why you don't solve problems?

guenter
when they claim the browser leaks memory but really mean that it uses the huge amount of memory required to render rich content pages.[/guenter]

You are the only one using the term memory leaking, did you notice that?
Laughable to tell us "they claim the browser leaks memory". Are you "they"? Pluralis majestatis or what?

guenter
I am totally fed up with ppl that claim an application must not grab and keep RAM that is not currently used or needed by other applications

If it does this to an amount that it renders your computer useless for work than it is a problem.

guenter
or be the nanny memory manager for the OS.

Fact is the OS manages other programs just fine. Maybe they are written to some specification imposed by the OS that should be respected?

guenter
It would be better for me if these trolls stop posting here and stop using K-Meleon.

This would still not solve the problems KM has.

Eugen

Date: June 14, 2010 10:25PM

slayer
If you think that with the 1.1x version of KM, the memory consumption was better, you could help the developers finding the exact more closer version

By 1.1x versions I mean all 1.1x versions. But exactly as you suggest I proposed in some other threads that most practical would be to compare the 1.1.6 version as this was the last official 1.1x code.

slayer
to the 1.2x
For example: 1.19 gives a better performance than 1.2, so there was a change in the code in the 1.2. The developers should then know, comparing both versions, what was changed.

No 1.2x version ever existed.
From 1.16 it was a big jump to 1.5x.
The big version step demonstrates (rightfully so) the important improvements the new generation brings, but it seems somewhere in the vast code change are hidden some faulty program parts.

Maybe comparing 1.1.6 to 1.5.0 would be util, maybe not, I don't know how much of the old code was used or if it was a total rewrite or if only modules or whatewer was rewritten.
I am not the specialist, in fact I am pretty unknowing. Thing is the ones who states themselves as specialists followed no path of investing the problem (like e.g. the path of comparing as you suggested). Thing, no problem. The problem begins when they get upset when problems are reported and are offended when one changes browsers after no improvement happens.

Well.. just enough time spent on a initially tehnical problem whose solution is blocked by a social one. Just not worth it, working browsers are plenty.

Eugen

Eugen

Date: June 14, 2010 11:05PM

i honestly could not reproduce but to be honest i don't think i ever used kmeleon for more than 2 hours in one session but what i'm certain of is memory is always reverted after a minimise. i'm sorry for labelling it as 'memory leak' but what you're describing sounds like a leak... but obviously it's not consistent on all systems and appears to be system-specific which normally rules it out as a leak. for me both 1.1.x and 1.5 and 1.6 are the same when it comes to memory handling , the differences lie in ram usage, e.g 1.5.x uses more memory initially than 1.1.x even with one tab and 1.6 uses slightly more than 1.5 etc

can you please test the latest 1.6 aplha4 and compare to 1.5 in memory handling after long usage, and open a bug report linking to this thread so you don't have to write full description again..this way dorian can deal with it.

remember, it's crucial to state all your system specifics in the report
windows version(and what major updates like sp2, sp3 etc), ram and cpu..even graphics card type may be related in such a bug and if it's an integrated vga or regular pci or pci express and nic type, you can never know..

Date: June 14, 2010 11:24PM

OK, I would read through the instructions of correctly making a bug report and make one after.

I doubt it is a hardware incompatibilty problem as I had the same problem on at least 15 different computers. By different I mean different cpus (different producers, different major generations), different mainboards (completly nonintegrated with peripherials, integrated with VGA, integrated with NIC, with PCI VGA, with NIC in PCI, etc.), desktops, different laptops, etc. etc.
What was common for all of them the OS was XP SP2 and above. Once Win98se, but on Win98SE I mostly used 1.1x versions.

Eugen

Date: June 15, 2010 03:40AM

Eugen Mezei
OK, I would read through the instructions of correctly making a bug report and make one after.

Eugen

Dear Sir, You better read...

As far as I understood You - You stopped using K-Meleon...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2010 03:40AM by guenter.

Date: June 15, 2010 01:03PM

eugene, do you have adblockplus installed? if yes, i suggest you disable its k-plugin adblockplus.dll and monitor your ram usage/handling in 1.5..i'll explain more after finalising a couple of tests

Posted by: Anon
Date: July 30, 2010 03:54AM

siria

Sorry to reopen this old post. For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of K-Meleon. While I'm not ready to abandon the use of other browsers on my system yet, I believe and hope that one day in the future I will be able to.

I think having an open forum, i.e. uncensored and not requiring registration to post is very valuable to users like myself who like to see the unbiased opinions and experiences of others using KM. If you were to simply muzzle the users who have a problem that would be a big dis-service to us all. That being said, I don't think flame wars or rudeness is necessary to get one's point across. I hope the administrators and moderators will keep this in mind.

I haven't done my own testing on this issue but I have noticed similar behavior on my system (1.53) where in some instances KM will use and retain a large chunk of memory after heavy browsing for many hours with a massive amount of tabs open. As others stated, the memory is returned upon the closing of KM, but at least for me, minimizing KM did not release any memory.

KM still uses a lot less memory than FireFox in a similar situation.

I haven't tried to upgrade to 1.54 yet. I don't use AdblockPlus for KM, but I do use GreaseMeleon and a few scripts, so this may be the culprit. I realize that GreaseMeleon is probably outdated and not supported, but as far as I have found, it is the best and only way to make _some_ scripts work. Unfortunatly some don't work at all. This memory issue does not happen quickly, it takes quite a while to manifest itself. I will try to make some time to test more and report my findings, but it's a complex scenario that has many variables, so I'm not sure when or if I will be able to come to any conclusions regarding memory usage/retention. Please don't get the wrong idea - I post here to hopefully help other users - not to complain.

Posted by: Guest
Date: August 02, 2010 05:51PM

Just to chime in here - I am running a fresh install of 1.5.4 with no adblock plugin and K-meleon uses up 263MB of RAM with just this tab open! This is after about 4 hours of browsing mostly news websites, gmail, and looking at pictures.

I minimized and restored the browser and it went right back up to ~260MB used. I'm just curious if this is evidence of a memory leak and how I should try to resolve this. FWIW, this happens on Firefox as well, although K-meleon seems to do a better job handling this "leakage". Is there a way to force K-meleon to restrict is caching so memory usage is limited to, say, <100MB? My 512MB machine is hurting! Thanks in advance.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.