Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
profiles backup(update)
Posted by: disrupted
Date: June 26, 2010 06:11PM

http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/profilesbackup.7z

- one version for mulitple profiles or portable(auto detects root profile.ini)
- entire km profiles folder is backed including pluginsreg.dat
- auto creates backup on first run/install
- restore option disabled if no backup is found
- option to auto back the profile on the exit (only wth clean close not crash-foolproof), option is on by default
- option to auto restore profiles folder on startup if corrupted profile is detected (enabled by default)

access from edit>profiles backup>open gui or toggle autoback/auto restore

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: profiles backup(update)
Posted by: Mister M
Date: July 25, 2010 05:30PM

Just what I was looking for. Works perfectly. Thanks :cool:

Posted by: mhf
Date: July 26, 2010 10:15AM

disrupted - works fine except that I get an error message when KM restarts saying that KM wasn't closed correctly and do I want to open the previous session (that is with Auto Backup enabled) - nothing serious...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2010 10:18AM by mhf.

Date: July 26, 2010 06:00PM

i think i fixed it, there was also another very bad bug wth auto restore which is fixed now

try this update please, still same probblem?
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/profilesbackup.7z

Date: July 26, 2010 06:14PM

p..s if you have recently downloaded profilesbackup, try to clear your cache first or you might download the old version from cache or better try this link

http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/sourceforge/k/project/km/kmext/profilesbackup.7z

Posted by: mhf
Date: July 26, 2010 06:52PM

Hi disrupted - that works, I tried the version in your post with the usual link not the alternative one - it works with or without Auto Backup enabled.

Date: July 26, 2010 08:16PM

that's great, thank you very much m

Date: July 26, 2010 10:14PM

Before doing backups I cleared my cache & history, but I never received any error messages of any kind, and all the backup files were made.

Thanks for the updated files though, I've installed them just in case.

One question I do have though; what is the frequency of the auto backup & auto restore (although I'm not quite sure why you'd want auto restore)?

Date: July 27, 2010 04:34PM

autoback creates a backup everytime kmeleon is closed(only with clean proper exit-not crash)

autorestore is only triggered after kmeleon has crashed or a system crash whilst kmeleon is running - an event when most profile corruptions happen.

profile back will backup your history and cookies but not cache when you have default type installation(multi user) because your cache is in another folder.. in case of single user/portable, your cache will also be backed up because in single user installation your cache is stored in the same profile directory

Date: July 27, 2010 07:40PM

disrupted
...profile back will backup your history and cookies but not cache when you have default type installation...

And that's exactly what was happening, so it is perfect. grinning smiley

Posted by: panzer
Date: October 15, 2010 09:07AM

Disrupted:

edit-browser cionfiguration
1extensions.profilebackup.corcheck - value f*cked

What is the correct value? Should I modify it? grinning smiley

Date: October 15, 2010 12:10PM

grinning smiley sorry, that's the correct value..don't modify it. this pref works like the sessions plugin when the value is always false for 'cleanclose' until the browser quits normally so sessions reads the pref at startup and finds out if the browser crashed to trigger the 'restore last session' message.

profile backup works in a similar way when you choose to automatically create a backup to ensure that the backup is only made when the browser has been safely closed without crashes and that prevents creating a backup with a corrupted profile. so this pref remains ;fucked' when the browser is running and changes only when kmeleon closes properly. the reason the pref name starts with 1extensions is so to place as the very first pref in the prefs.js for 2 reasons. the auto backup and restore autoit commands read the pref file before deciding what to do..if you have a big prefs file and the value is in the middle or end, it will take a second or so more for autoit to query but when the pref is right in the beginning of the file, autoit finds it right away resulting in much faster function. the other reason is when prefs become corrupted that value will be removed.

Posted by: panzer
Date: November 16, 2010 08:52AM

It is still much better to copy your profile in another file and use it (delete the existing profile and copy this one back) than use restore profile function due to the fact that on USB some files in profilebackup folder continously get deleted for some unknown reason (part of profilebackup is missing).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 09:13AM by panzer.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.