Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
what happened to my web services sub-menu?
Posted by: sickley
Date: August 16, 2010 02:08PM

been working on my laptop and started adding extensions to installation of k-meleon when i suddenly noticed my web-services sub-menu under the tools menu is not there.... im not sure if it was somehow removed by another extension or what, but if anyone knows whats up let me know.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2010 02:09PM by sickley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what happened to my web services sub-menu?
Date: August 16, 2010 03:21PM

seems to disappear whenever i install the iGoogle sidebar extension.... not sure if it's a conflict with another extension, a problem with the igoogle extension itself, or simply an igoogle problem.

edit: im not so sure anymore. it does however seem like an extension conflict. well what ever the issue is im wiping my k-meleon install and starting fresh sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2010 03:32PM by sickley.

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 16, 2010 05:16PM

Can I move this thread to Extensions or General?

It does seem to be a k-meleon core bug and You get more attention and possibly help ther.

Date: August 16, 2010 06:24PM

absolutely

Date: August 16, 2010 06:45PM

yeah its definently related to the igoogle extension. my web services menu dissappeared when i installed it and didnt come back when i uninstalled, nor when i restored a previous profile

Date: August 16, 2010 06:52PM

probably the wservices.kmm thats doing it. i deleted it and then installed another extension that uses the web services and the menu is back

# K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage)

# ----------web dev popup menu-----------------------

wservmenu_BuildMenu{
setmenu(WebServices,inline,wservmenu,1);
setmenu(wservmenu, popup, "Extra Services");
}

$OnInit=$OnInit."wservmenu_BuildMenu;";
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
$macroModules=$macroModules."wservmenumenu;";

Date: August 16, 2010 06:53PM

but this one works

# K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage)

# ----------web dev popup menu-----------------------

wservmenu_BuildMenu{
setmenu(WebServices,popup, "Web Services",);
}

$OnInit=$OnInit."wservmenu_BuildMenu;";
# ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
$macroModules=$macroModules."wservmenumenu;";

Date: August 16, 2010 07:14PM

i copied over all the files for the igoogle extension except the wservices.kmm and everything seems to work ok.

edit: well the igoogle toolbar isnt loading anything, but that may have to do with something else. it doesnt work as a sidebar however, just a floating window

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2010 07:16PM by sickley.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 16, 2010 07:27PM

I think you're on to a little macro bug, due to a mixup of that helper menu contained in various macros, unfortunately in different versions:

If I read you right, the upper version is from igoogle macro, the code shows that it creates a menu "Extra Services".
The version below creates instead a menu entry called "Web Services".
But both use the same BuildMenu-name, so those 2 kmm files are simply overwriting each other whenever you install a new macro that contains that menu-creating kmm file.

It's not as if one were bad and the other good, it's simply that they overwrite each other, while the 'main' macro, the other kmm that is included in the zip, relies to find that menu name that is in 'its' version of the wservices.
I'm sure disrupted is going to fix those zips faster than we can look... grinning smiley

Meanwhile, if you wanna play a bit with your newly installed macros NOW, just copy the third setmenu line to the two others, so both menus will be created. In theory this should work... ;-)

PS: In case you're wondering about the code, the menus "WebServices" and "Web Services" have nothing to do with each other, except that the second one is placed into the already existing first one. "WebServices" (without Blank) is a native KM menu, just invisible witout anything filled in yet. You can place any submenus you like into it, name doesn't matter. For KM "Web Services" is just as much a different name than any other name would be, simply because it is not 100% identic, due to the blank.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2010 07:47PM by siria.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: August 16, 2010 08:15PM

igoogle sidebar has been defunct for a while now and fails to connect to google services. it was one of the early extensions that used a universal speciality macro causing the conflict with the same entry without an inline. it has now been removed, thanks sickley

Date: August 16, 2010 11:14PM

yeah i was looking at the menu codes and wish i knew the k-meleon macro language...some day when im bored ill have to sit down and read through some tutorials. Thanks for the heads up disrupted. what i was actually looking for is like a gmail sidebar or something so i thought id try out the igoogle one. needless to say im not too upset it doesnt work lol. know of any gmail extensions/macros or the like?

Date: August 16, 2010 11:42PM

you're very welcome jesse

i think you want to make gmail your default mailto handler so you can have access to all kmeleon's mailing features directly to gmail and not an actual mail application.. there was a post a long time ago and someone referred a program that makes this happen but this will be very hard to find in forum search but i think this one is the same
http://www.rabidsquirrel.net/G-Mailto/
it will modify the register key for mail protocol to use gmail;s site and should work properly as long as kmeleon is the default browser

there's also gmail text which will automatcially open gmail compose with the selected text
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,109000,109000#msg-109000

and there's a gspace extension which uses gmail folders as storage, gspace is somewhere on kmext.sf.net but you should install it with the extensions manager because it has component files

there's a notifier of sorts that works for gmail and yahoo..could be a little tedious to setup at first as it's an old hexed miranda plugin but once you set it up, it's very easy to use and can be used for any email account that supports pop3
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,86558

Date: August 17, 2010 12:14AM

thanks distrupted. this will suit my needs. i guess ill have to wait and see if anyone wants to make a pseudo sidebar lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2010 12:17AM by sickley.

Posted by: desga2
Date: August 17, 2010 05:38PM

Ups! this is the second extension with wservices.kmm macro file problem:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,109262,109548#msg-109548
I told you already and I think I'm right.
Extensions have problems when this included more than one kmm macro file.
Extension must be reviewed to prevent this bad method of multiple kmm files and on this way avoid menu problems and other problems.

I don't understand why people have a lot of Extensions installed in KM.
If I wanted a browser with a lot of Extensions, or a lot of Extension with a browser some time, I would use Firefox instead K-Meleon.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: siria
Date: August 17, 2010 06:05PM

Well, people have different needs, and there are some other fundamental differences about browsers than just the number of installed macros grinning smiley

Anyway, awhile ago I've started using the following solution for my own macros if needed. Just rewritten a bit for Web Services now, and admittedly renamed to start with MENU :cool:

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Menu_Web_Services {
setmenu(WebServices,popup,_("Web Services"),1);
setmenu(WebServices,popup,_("Extra Services"),2);
}
index($OnInit,"Menu_Web_Services;")>-1 ? 0 : $OnInit=$OnInit."Menu_Web_Services;";

This could be included *inside* macros which need that menu, at the end of it. Guess the problem is rather that especially for WebServices there seem to exist two versions which create a different menu name, that's why I've now put both here. But that's just after reading the posts above, haven't checked those macros myself...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2010 06:07PM by siria.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: August 17, 2010 09:09PM

desga2
I don't understand why people have a lot of Extensions installed in KM.
If I wanted a browser with a lot of Extensions, or a lot of Extension with a browser some time, I would use Firefox instead K-Meleon.

Hum, I don't understand too why they have so many installed extensions (I have just less than 10 extensions), but if I want more, I surely won't use Firefox smiling smiley

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: August 17, 2010 10:23PM

the problem isn't due to a secondary macro for a menu, it happened when early extensions used a different wservices.kmm that build the menu differently.

there aren't problems with speciality macros as long as the extensions depending on them use the same speciality macro which is now done with the recent updates and revisions and all extensions using a secondary menu macro do not conflict in anyway or cause any problems. this is exactly the same as using the sendto macro which is provided by default installation, or using the config menu which is built using own macro.. just like there's nothing wrong with using sendto for creating submenus there isn't anything wrong with using a secondary macro for making a predefined menu. when no extension is using a speciality macro or the sendto macro, no menu will be displayed at all. the only difference between a speciality macro and the sendto is those are installed with extensions and the latter comes with kmeleon

sendto was provided to make it easy for users to write macros without passing a url paramater and speciality macros are provided for macro writers when they prefer to display similar functions under a unified menu.. avoiding the clutter and confusion when everything is right in tools menu or the document context.
while siria's approach is another solution, it isn't practical for writers and is somewhat similar to alain's original speciality macro 'entertainments' which was pprovided for games... the menu was built using a prefs value on startup and then removed when kmeleon was closed.. ensuring that menu can only be drawn when a game macro exists and creating the pref. while that is a good method to limit the menu to their calling macro; it isn't the conventional way for other macro writers to use that same menu.. with the speciality macro you only have to include it in the package and write your macro without worrying about conflicts or weird work arounds.

the speciality macros provide a tidy way of combining similar macros, compare that with firefox where every extension just throws itself in the tools or document menu and the end result you have ugly and confusing menus extending to the height of the browser window and even collapsing.. luckily here, we don't have this problem and we shouldn't since we all work together not only in creating original extensions but making sure they display neatly without cluttering the interface.

extensions are becoming an essential part for most browsers.. purists do exist who demand nothing more that the surfing power but the vast majority want extra functionality at par with other browsers..otherwise, no matter how they prefer kmeleon for its speed and responsiveness; they will look elsewhere or confine kmeleon to 'secondary browser' (when i want to quickly check my email).. limiting its usage to no more than 5% of actual surfing and eventually dropping it all together. the whole idea is they shouldn't feel the need to resolve to firefox when they need extensions, especially useful and justified ones.. surely some do require useless eye candy extensions but we don't cater to those anyways and they can only be satisfied with a manipulative ui like xul and nothing else.

kmeleon maintains its performance with many extensions and macros installed plus the unique and powerful macro language.. there's nothing wrong in taking full advantage of those features

http://kmext.sourceforge.net/macros/speciality/

Posted by: panzer
Date: August 18, 2010 08:57AM

I, probably THE person with most extension installed in the history of Km, can say only that I respect both those who have a lot of ext installed as those with one ext installed the same. Ultimately, it is down to individual taste and need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2010 08:58AM by panzer.

Date: August 25, 2010 08:20PM

I used to have 2 installations (sorta). one was my 'everything installation' that had pretty much any kme I could find use for, and the second was my 'portable installation' which had the bare minimums plus some frequently used kme. the main reason I used to do this was because there was no easy way I knew of to keep the two synchronized (this is no longer an issue with the new synchronize kme). Quite honestly there are little to 0 kme's that will noticeably slow down the performance of k-meleon for me on any machine I use it on otherwise I WOULD pick and choose my extensions.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.