ProfileBackup
Posted by: ndebord
Date: January 23, 2011 03:14PM

Anybody know how to make ProfileBackup save its info to another folder on my hard drive besides C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\ProfileBackup?

Tks

N

Re: ProfileBackup
Posted by: siria
Date: January 23, 2011 03:44PM

Hmm, took a look on kmext, and there are two macros for this. The second (non-XUL) has that path in the beginning of the kmm-file, so that looks as if you can customize it if you like... I'd just try and see ;-)
(open and edit the kmm with notepad, but make sure to copy that line first and put a comment # sign at the original, to keep it as backup)

Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 23, 2011 05:15PM

the destination path is a remnant of the old profilesbackup portable edition. it has no affect in the current profiles backup.

the idea was to make profilesbackup independent from macro(parameter free) so a user can run it with out having kmeleon process to enable restore in case of corrupted profile that prevents kmeleon from running altogether(i.e. profilesbackup couldn't be launched then with an extremely corrupted profile)

you can change the dest_path in the original portable edition to use a preferred destination if you like but that isn't practical as you'll have to edit the macro every time you'd like to use another folder plus i'dn't recommend it anyways for the reason mentioned above.
portable edition should be some where there

i made a slight change in the code of the latest version to accommodate your request. download from:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/iol/profilesbackup-nde.7z

to use a custom backup folder, launch the binary profilebackup.exe directly from its path %kmeleonpath%\tools and make sure kmeleon isn't running.
you'll get a browse folder prompt:

select the folder and click ok and profiles backup will use it for backup(but not for restoration- restoration will always use the default path) clicking cancel will use the default location for backup as normal and opens the ui.

if you prefer to use a custom location for both backup and restore then it's better to use the portable edition at the mirror service and change the dest_path, however to launch it without kmeleon running(case restore needed with badly corrupted profile) you will have to send several parameters to it first..5 or 6 i can't remember, any missing or wrong parameter will not execute the binary or cause errors so it should only be run from within kmeleon. backing the profile in kmeleon's own folder is the safest path for both regular and portable

Date: January 23, 2011 09:09PM

disrupted
the destination path is a remnant of the old profilesbackup portable edition. it has no affect in the current profiles backup.

the idea was to make profilesbackup independent from macro(parameter free) so a user can run it with out having kmeleon process to enable restore in case of corrupted profile that prevents kmeleon from running altogether(i.e. profilesbackup couldn't be launched then with an extremely corrupted profile)

you can change the dest_path in the original portable edition to use a preferred destination if you like but that isn't practical as you'll have to edit the macro every time you'd like to use another folder plus i'dn't recommend it anyways for the reason mentioned above.

i made a slight change in the code of the latest version to accommodate your request. download from:

http://kmext.sourceforge.net/iol/profilesbackup-nde.7z

to use a custom backup folder, launch the binary profilebackup.exe directly from its path %kmeleonpath%\tools and make sure kmeleon isn't running.
you'll get a browse folder prompt:

select the folder and click ok and profiles backup will use it for backup(but not for restoration- restoration will always use the default path) clicking cancel will use the default location for backup as normal and opens the ui.

if you prefer to use a custom location for both backup and restore then it's better to use the portable edition at the mirror service and change the dest_path, however to launch it without kmeleon running(case restore needed with badly corrupted profile) you will have to send several parameters to it first..5 or 6 i can't remember, any missing or wrong parameter will not execute the binary or cause errors so it should only be run from within kmeleon. backing the profile in kmeleon's own folder is the safest path for both regular and portable

Disrupted,

Yup, that profilebackup executable was on JuJu's site, so I have been using it in KM 1.6beta1.

Thanks for the modified executable, but after reading your post, I believe you that the original method is the better one. I'll just write a batch file to copy it over to a new location.

N

Date: January 24, 2011 01:04AM

siria
Hmm, took a look on kmext, and there are two macros for this. The second (non-XUL) has that path in the beginning of the kmm-file, so that looks as if you can customize it if you like... I'd just try and see ;-)
(open and edit the kmm with notepad, but make sure to copy that line first and put a comment # sign at the original, to keep it as backup)

siria,

Tried that too.... but as Disrupted has pointed out to me, the current way that Alain's profilebackup (for portable KM) works from his site, is pretty darn good. I've moved to a batch file backup routine and put profilbebackup on a hotkey, so am pretty OK with it as is. <shrug>

http://extensions.geckozone.org/KMES-ProfileBackupEn

N

Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 24, 2011 01:00PM

There is also ResProfile in the MacroLibrary.
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmResProfile

Date: January 24, 2011 02:33PM

JamesD
There is also ResProfile in the MacroLibrary.
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmResProfile

JamesD,

Had forgotten about that one entirely.

Thanks!

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 02:33PM by ndebord.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.