Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
Extracting Extensions...
Posted by: zer0
Date: April 29, 2011 01:28PM

I'm lost... Here I am trying to install kmes, or any extension really, and I can't figure out where the heck I am supposed to extract the file! I've browsed through the web and this forum to try and find an answer but they just say "directly to the root folder" which can't possibly be true as the extensions obviously have macros, which go into the macro directory and chrome files. I get that, I put them in their respective files (K-meleon\chrome or \macro) but now I've come across another problem. There is no kmextensions folder. Now I figured this is because I have no extensions so I just made the folder myself and through in the respective files (k-meleon\kmextensions)

SO, all of those seem to me to be in the right place. But where do the locales go? the tools? the actual exe file. Do I even use the exe file? And where does the autoit file go? I searched for .au3 files but there aren't any... Err this is so complicated. Also, I've done everything how one might think it should be, macros to macros chrome to chrome tools to tools and exe file in the root but it still hasn't worked... Please help, and I'm sorry if this is one of those annoying questions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Extracting Extensions...
Date: April 29, 2011 02:38PM

Come on, 18 people have viewed this page and not even replied. You all know how to do this. Should I put it in the profile folder instead of the root folder?

Posted by: siria
Date: April 29, 2011 05:51PM

If you do extract the zip into the root folder as written everywhere, they automatically go into their corresponding subfolders, or if not yet existing, create them. They are already contained in the zip, subfolders too ;-)

Date: April 29, 2011 09:37PM

Thank you for your help. I did not know that about file extraction, is that true for any extractor? Also, I have already manually put the files in to their respective folders but have not had any significant change in K-Meleon, lol. Is there something I have to do within the browser to finalize the installation? I've never had this much trouble installing extensions =( but I don't care this browser still seems to have some potential. Thx again for your reply its much appreciated =)

Posted by: siria
Date: April 29, 2011 10:12PM

Looks like you started with one of the few rather complicated extensions, but believe me, most KM macros consist just of one lonely kmm-file which goes into the macros folder! grinning smiley

Since you say you tried to install the extensions manager (KEM), you probably have already seen those pages, but let me post the links again for others:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/help.htm
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/kem.htm

Frankly I don't know what's missing yet. Perhaps you forgot one of the files with all that (unnecessary) manual copying? And after the extracting, did you restart the browser (incl. the loader if used)?

Oops... something dawns on me - you said "KMES"? That's the other manager, from here, right?
http://extensions.geckozone.org/KMES-KMESmanagerEn
This is a different one, it's okay but works differently, and I have no clue how... It only works with the special exe or zip files from that site, and those unusual zip files confuse me a bit (being still a passionate manual extractor :coolsmiling smiley Otherwise the descriptions there are really great!
Perhaps try the KMES installation version with the exe... Or try the other (KEM) manager from kmext.sf.net, which works with "plain" zipped extensions...

--------
About unzipping in general, well, am actually not sure if all unzip tools work the same way, guess most come with some options for a user to adjust, but I'd expect them to have as default setting to respect the folder structure... Well, if someone isn't sure how his zip tool is set, just do a quick test by extracting a zip file into a new empty folder smiling smiley

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2011 10:49PM by siria.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: April 30, 2011 12:55AM

siria
Looks like you started with one of the few rather complicated extensions, but believe me, most KM macros consist just of one lonely kmm-file which goes into the macros folder! grinning smiley

Since you say you tried to install the extensions manager (KEM), you probably have already seen those pages, but let me post the links again for others:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/help.htm
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/kem.htm

Frankly I don't know what's missing yet. Perhaps you forgot one of the files with all that (unnecessary) manual copying? And after the extracting, did you restart the browser (incl. the loader if used)?

Oops... something dawns on me - you said "KMES"? That's the other manager, from here, right?
http://extensions.geckozone.org/KMES-KMESmanagerEn
This is a different one, it's okay but works differently, and I have no clue how... It only works with the special exe or zip files from that site, and those unusual zip files confuse me a bit (being still a passionate manual extractor :coolsmiling smiley Otherwise the descriptions there are really great!
Perhaps try the KMES installation version with the exe... Or try the other (KEM) manager from kmext.sf.net, which works with "plain" zipped extensions...

--------
About unzipping in general, well, am actually not sure if all unzip tools work the same way, guess most come with some options for a user to adjust, but I'd expect them to have as default setting to respect the folder structure... Well, if someone isn't sure how his zip tool is set, just do a quick test by extracting a zip file into a new empty folder smiling smiley

Siria,

Yup, two different methods of installing extensions. Most definitely a tad confusing. Personally, I never got past using either JuJu's executable installs (which do their own thing) or using the manual method of KEIH.... for me that means when I have a 7z (the usual archiver used for K-Meleon extension macros) file, I run KEIH on it. I right click in Windows Explorer and when asked, scroll through my program files until I find KEIH and then pick it to run the KMM 7z file. Works for me.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 12:47AM by ndebord.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: April 30, 2011 05:24AM

extracting on top doesn't remove an existing folder and delete its contents regardless of the program used, this is an os behaviour, all of them including dos work the same.. when a folder is copied to a location where another folder with same name exists, only same name files are replaced(or prompt), new files will be added to the directory and files already existing in that path are left. extractors work the same way, unless configured to create new directory which is usually not a default setting... but i understand the confusion, even a supposed guru at techalert who ironically writes reviews of software criticised kem thinking the root folders will be removed- just shows you the kind of morons who work in the IT publishing business these days, they wouldn't even know how to copy files in command prompt. if you are flummoxed, simply use the extension manager which is recommended for 7z extensions. unlike what some simpletons seem to believe, the extensions manager KEM is not just a simple uninstaller for removing files. it ensures your components are registered properly when you install an extension and every file goes to its proper location. uninstalling using kem- reregisters your componets(where applicable) ensuring that no missing component is kept registered which might effect browsing behaviour and cause crashes, kem restores your kmeleon system files if they were modified or replaced by an extensions and even has the ability to restore your default pref values if they were changed-even mozilla's overhyped xpi service fails to do. perhaps it lacks the pointless graphics and logos but it does its job perfectly and downplaying kem as a simple uninstaller that just reads an info file is both insulting and disrespectful of the efforts of 4 programmers who contributed in coding it.

nde, you don't need to browse and run keih manually to open it, you can launch it directly from kem by clicking the 'run installer' button which launches keih as a separate process the exact same way as launching it manually. make sure to update to version 7.4

Posted by: ndebord
Date: May 01, 2011 12:52AM

disrupted
nde, you don't need to browse and run keih manually to open it, you can launch it directly from kem by clicking the 'run installer' button which launches keih as a separate process the exact same way as launching it manually. make sure to update to version 7.4

Disrupted,

Yes, I understand how KEM works and have been following its successive iterations as it has been developed. It is just that I am slow to adopt new stuff and so stayed with KEIH as a reliable installer, IF NOT, as you point out, a method of handling registry settings.

I shall look for 7.4, as I don't believe I have downloaded that version yet.

P.S. aside: I do think it would be nice if the extensions website was searchable and perhaps alphabetical by subject.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 12:55AM by ndebord.

Posted by: MXB
Date: May 04, 2011 11:40PM

siria

I've played with all sorts of archiving tools over the last 25 years and most of them by default dump the extracted files into the directory where the archive file is. As siria says they all have options to let you choose a destination or to extract files with or without their directory structure (if it was saved in the first place) or other attributes.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.