Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
policy manager - global policy not sticking
Posted by: mhf
Date: November 28, 2009 05:26PM

I set global policy to disable js and my trusted sites to enable js, however whenever I restart KM the global policy reverts to js enabled and I have to change it again each time - is this normal ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: policy manager - global policy not sticking
Posted by: siria
Date: November 28, 2009 05:49PM

No... just tried it, but for me "global" remains blocked.

Date: November 28, 2009 06:03PM

Ah ha ... what to do, any ideas ?

Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 29, 2009 01:24PM

your pref settings are not saved, this happens if you are using the symbiotic loader loader.exe, you will just need to close the loader first and relaunch it or you can you can use the restart super extension http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext7.htm which adds a menu entry under file to restart or exit by restarting the loader.

if you're not using the loader then you might not have certain rights in the current user account to write to system folders.. add more writing privileges to that account or use an administrator account

Date: November 30, 2009 05:38PM

Thanks disrupted but I don't use the loader and I do use admin rights when installing or setting up anything - so I don't know !

I can't see what I'm doing wrong unless I still don't understand how it works : KM preferences take priority over PM right? So js should be enabled in preferences and then set as I wish in PM, e.g. disabled in global and enabled in trusted sites, anyway that is how I'm doing it.

Never mind, it's no big deal to set the policy each time I fire-up KM, providing I remember to do it !

Date: November 30, 2009 08:21PM

yes km prefs override so make sure js in km is enabled and then open pm and set global to disabled.. also this extension policy manager conflicts with noscript..make sure to uninstall noscript before using pm..they can't work together.

if all fails, then test with a new testing profile(edit>manage profiles>create new>ask at startup check) because you could have a remnant noscript setting in prefs overriding policy manager

Date: December 01, 2009 06:10PM

Yes disrupted - it's the profile thing, I looked in pref.js and there are effectively bits left over from when I disabled NoScript.

By the way, does the KEM completely uninstall extensions ?

Thanks again for your help. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2009 06:14PM by mhf.

Date: December 01, 2009 08:40PM

well..not completely but it does a much better job than that other infamous gecko browser(at one point it was so powerful, it even uninstalled kmeleon grinning smiley).

some prefs are indeed removed..some aren;t.. i tried to remove all strings set by an extension but it proved very problematic especially with some extensions where some settings may not be universal.. .ie. depending on user..like for example with policy manager, where the user creates own zones with unique names.. so locating and removing the exact strings with autoit wasn't as easy task and sometimes caused bigger problems like messing the prefs.js file..which is not worth the trouble if it ends in the user not being able to use the browser..i'm guessing that's the same reason that seamonkey/firefox etc decided to leave general pref settings alone after uninstalling an extension. if you open an extension uninstall ini, you will find a section called strings which i used to test but it's no longer implemented.. maybe in the future we(and by we i mean desga tongue sticking out smiley) can use a foolproof way to remove all prefs safely.

some extensions use general settings which are read from a separate js in default\prefs\location.. those are removed safely without problems.

for extensions that throw a lot of strings in prefs that can cause problems if left when an extension is removed; i recommend this extension called 'preferential' which is like about:config only it displays all settings in a very organised tree so all settings for one extension are combined under one branch so it's very easy to find and remove all its strings with one click
prefernetial:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/preferential.7z

Date: December 02, 2009 12:21PM

Yup, thanks for that - I had Preferential installed but had forgotten it (on top of which the menu entry is called "Extra config" which didn't remind me of anything and it took me a while to find it again).

Anyway, I cleared out all traces of NS and now PM runs perfectly at start-up...!

Date: December 03, 2009 07:28PM

that's great.. i'll add an extra readme file inside policy manager explainiing the noscript conflict, thank you mh

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.