Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
Dial-up timer
Posted by: panzer
Date: March 20, 2010 08:45AM

Could a macro be made for dial-up timer?

It should work something like Dydlo

It would be useful to remind people to disconnect from their modem to avoid high phone bills.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dial-up timer
Posted by: desga2
Date: March 20, 2010 08:51PM

This Extension already exist: Disconnect on Exit (Dialup)

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: March 21, 2010 06:11PM

No. I've meant this:

DYDLO

This program shows a small timer on top of your screen when you are connected to the internet via a modem; it can be useful to remind you for how long you were connected so that you don't forget to disconnect from the internet when you stop using the computer, incurring online charges.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2010 06:18PM by panzer.

Posted by: disrrupted
Date: March 21, 2010 10:56PM

why don't you call dydlo with an exec command in a macro with the init or onstartup events..this way dyldo will run with kmeleon.

it's possible to do a countup with either js or autoit to display in the titlebar or statusbar but that will show timer since km was launched but not necessarily time spent on dialup connection

Posted by: disrupted
Date: March 21, 2010 11:09PM

panz, this will launch dydlo with kmeleon and terminate it when kmeleon exits(dydlo is included)
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/dydlo-panzer.7z

Date: March 22, 2010 02:14PM

Thanx. i would do it myself if I knowed how.

Date: March 22, 2010 04:42PM

it's alright, that's why we have the forums smiling smiley

Date: March 31, 2010 05:19PM

Tested Dydlo-panzer and after I got logged in, it started counting from 1 and then just suddenly added more than 10 minutes. I do not know why. I will have to test it some more.

Date: April 01, 2010 12:35AM

it;'s probably some glitch with dyldo and a connection..hopefully won't happen again, the macro runs dydlo just like launching it manually so it shouldn't affect how dydlo functions.. unfortunately i can't test dialup any more, my isp used to provide a dialin number for "emergencies" so that was very handy when i needed to test how an extension would work on dialup but lately that number no longer worked and when i enquired they said they no longer provide emergency dialup sad smiley

emergencies= ships going astray in the mediterranean (no sail zone)and ripping out fibre optic cables, when usually dialup becomes just as useless as dsl grinning smiley

Date: April 02, 2010 12:02PM

Tested again. Now it is OK.

Posted by: caktus
Date: April 03, 2010 09:27PM

No Frills Timer Is a handy little tool but I've yet to find one that holds the time values when a backup such as System Restore is used.

BTW, I didn't think anyone accessed the sites using direct-dial anymore.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: April 06, 2010 07:45AM

I use dial-up because I do not net to access the web more than 4 times per month. But I will someday go to broadband. grinning smiley

Date: April 07, 2010 07:17AM

Talking about the devil: it appears that my modem died. Comp froze twice when I tried to connect. Now comp can't find it.

Well, it worked good good 5 years and a couple of months ...

Edited: I did a research on Google and maybe, just maybe, it should work again. Will see ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2010 08:14AM by panzer.

Date: April 07, 2010 01:41PM

It still works. I reinstalled it, but comp crashed every time I tried to connect. Then I found out that connection is linked it to com3 and not com 1 and 2. I changed to com1 and here I am. Before I have it linked to both com 1 and 2, but now I will have to change it manually.

Good thing: pages load faster. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2010 01:43PM by panzer.

Date: April 08, 2010 07:34PM

Since my comp crashed every time I opened my connection, I purged 2 worms with Avast. It still crashed. Then I connected without Outpost Firewall, Connection Keeper and Kmeleon opened, and it worked. One of them is making problems to my connection. I think it is firewall. I just have to open them after I tried to connect.

Ah well, I learn something new every day ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2010 07:34PM by panzer.

Date: April 09, 2010 12:04AM

i thought it might be a wrong com..modems are less prone to failure like soundcards or vga.. they can live forever unless of course a thunder storm grinning smiley

i'm not sure but maybe kmeleon needs to be added to allow list in outpost?
i don;t have any experience with firewall programs.. i prefer freebsd for a firewall

Posted by: caktus
Date: April 13, 2010 05:31PM

As per disrupted, definitely sounds like the firewall but rarely do I dare go with out a firewall running.

I too use a dialup ISP and am quite happy with it although download speeds leave a lot to be desired. But the kind of dialup I was referring to is when many moons ago when we had to actually dial into a web sites and files driving long-distance phone bills through the roof.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.