All about K-Meleon extensions. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ad blocker for K-Meleon?
Posted by: spectro
Date: March 27, 2010 04:33PM

Hi!

Greetings from Finland! smiling smiley

Please is there some kind of ad blocker for K-Meleon available?

Thank You!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ad blocker for K-Meleon?
Posted by: panzer
Date: March 27, 2010 05:22PM

Greetings to Suomi:

http://adblockplus.org/en/kmeleon

Note: Current K-Meleon releases use outdated Mozilla code. Because of that, only Adblock Plus 1.0.2 is offered, newer Adblock Plus versions are not compatible.

So, will newer version of ADP be available for v1.6 or not?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2010 05:24PM by panzer.

Posted by: Matt
Date: March 27, 2010 05:59PM

Paragraph #4 and comment#2. Well, I hope somone knowledgeable will help Wladimir.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: March 30, 2010 04:24AM

panzer,

Well Adblock Plus 1.0.2 isn't half bad, so I'll settle for half a loaf for now and hope for better down the road.

N

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: April 11, 2010 07:30PM

other sites to get ABP for K-meleon:

http://extensions.geckozone.org/KMES-AdblockPlusEn
(v0.7.5.4 though; download links there dont seem to work at all - outdated links?)

http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext1.htm
(there's an adblockplus.7z package you can use to install ABP; v1.0.1 though but very stable)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2010 07:30PM by 4td8s.

Posted by: snuz2
Date: April 12, 2010 08:53AM

the current ABP for FF3 states categorically that it does not only block display of ad elements, but also does not download them. this is in contrast to css based add blockers which only block the displaying.

reading over the docs for ABP 1.0.1, it is not clear whether it downloads blocked elements or not...anyone know the quick answer for this?? smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2010 08:54AM by snuz2.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: April 12, 2010 05:57PM

i think it works the same way, the latest and our version are the same concept of blocking requests at root meaning that the ads will not only be displayed but not downloaded as well, you can also ask palant in his forum for confirmation

the built-n km ad blocker is based on css..this means it doesn't block the download of ads and caching them but will only prevent them from being displayed.

i always use a good hosts file in adition with adblockplus and before adblockplus..the hosts file with all ad servers blocked as 'local' prevents ads from getting downloaded so even without adblockplus i don't see those ads on other browsers but the difference to me is with adblockplus in km, the page layout becomes cleaner as abp removes the ad placeholders from the page but blocking with hosts, you can still see the place where the ad should have been there only without the banner

Date: April 14, 2010 10:18AM

i see...i also am very pleased with speedup and readability with ABP. only problem is it makes a long delay when KM starts up. i also block particularyly annoying ads at hosts level, but it's only a few domains. maybe i should try to download a real comprehensive list of ad hosts to block and see how that works. thanks for info.

Posted by: Matt
Date: April 14, 2010 06:44PM

4td8s
other sites to get ABP for K-meleon:

http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext1.htm
(there's an adblockplus.7z package you can use to install ABP; v1.0.1 though but very stable)

Could somebody verify which version of ABP is available on kmext, 1.0.1 or 1.0.2? 4td8s, are you sure about that? I think disrupted put the latest build (1.0.2) as it's mentioned on Wladimir Palant's website.

Posted by: caktus
Date: April 14, 2010 08:07PM

ndebord
panzer,

Well Adblock Plus 1.0.2 isn't half bad, so I'll settle for half a loaf for now and hope for better down the road.

Half bad?! While it takes a bit of getting used to creating the custome filters, I figure it's one of the finest little gems out there in the world of freeware.smiling smiley

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: panzer
Date: April 15, 2010 08:18AM

caktus
ndebord
panzer,

Half bad?! While it takes a bit of getting used to creating the custome filters, I figure it's one of the finest little gems out there in the world of freeware.smiling smiley

I think he did not mean Adblock Plus in general, but this version for Kmeleon (1.0.2).

Date: April 15, 2010 08:21PM

caktus
ndebord
panzer,

Cacktus,

Like Panzer said. It would be nice if the author would support KM 1.6.xx in the future with the latest and greatest version of AdBlock, but for now what we do have works for me well enough.

N

Date: April 15, 2010 08:36PM

ndebord
caktus
ndebord
panzer,

Cacktus,

Like Panzer said. It would be nice if the author would support KM 1.6.xx in the future with the latest and greatest version of AdBlock, but for now what we do have works for me well enough.

I'm hoping that a new version for 1.6 does come out but I assume it won't be until after 1.6 in in final release.

Charlie

Date: April 15, 2010 08:43PM

snuz2
i see...i also am very pleased with speedup and readability with ABP. only problem is it makes a long delay when KM starts up. i also block particularyly annoying ads at hosts level, but it's only a few domains. maybe i should try to download a real comprehensive list of ad hosts to block and see how that works. thanks for info.

yes, i do note that abp k-plugin may cause a delay at launch..that delay depends on the system configuration..it's mostly trivial and unoticable but on older machines it can be somewhat significant.

you can do this:
the adp k-plugin mainly has 2 functions:
1- displaying a page-context menu entry on images and frames to easily add custom filers based on websites
2- display a statusbar indicator

if you choose to disable the k-plugin, adp will still block all filters normally but you will lose the 2 features above..if you add easylist and a couple more subscriptions, you will probably won't miss the context menu entries..the status bar indicator is a per choice thing, i don't like it anyway and have it disabled

edit>preferences>k-meleon plugins
uncheck adblockplus from the list and restart kmeleon
-will not disable abp from blocking ads

Date: April 16, 2010 03:48AM

caktus

I'm hoping that a new version for 1.6 does come out but I assume it won't be until after 1.6 in in final release.

caktus,

Agree completely. It would be nice to have an AdBlock that worked perfectly with the next release of KM. <fingers and toes>

N

Date: April 18, 2010 01:53PM

ndebord
<fingers and toes>

Don't hurt you're self.grinning smiley

Charlie

Date: April 18, 2010 10:45PM

caktus
ndebord
<fingers and toes>

Don't hurt you're self.grinning smiley

Caktus,

LOL!

Crossing, not lopping off!!!

N

Date: April 19, 2010 05:03AM

disrupted
if you choose to disable the k-plugin, adp will still block all filters normally but you will lose the 2 features above..if you add easylist and a couple more subscriptions, you will probably won't miss the context menu entries..the status bar indicator is a per choice thing, i don't like it anyway and have it disabled

edit>preferences>k-meleon plugins
uncheck adblockplus from the list and restart kmeleon
-will not disable abp from blocking ads

didn't really have much effect on the startup delay. any hints on what other parts of the system configuration may be generating the delay? I only have easylist on the filters.

thanks for trying,
snuz2

Date: April 20, 2010 05:28PM

it could be adblock jar, it's chrome and due to the nature of abp it must be loaded with kmeleon startup.

try this one, overwrite existing files and disable the adp kplugin
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/adblockplus.7z

Date: April 21, 2010 05:21AM

That's the one I have been trying out.smiling smiley

Date: April 21, 2010 05:14PM

then it's the chrome..but the adp jar is the extension itself

if the delay is too annoying, maybe you can use the loader to make the launch faster..the loader will fix that problem , you will need to use the loader with windows startup. it's only drawback that if you change any preference in kmeleon, it won't take affect unless the computer is restarted or logged off/on or manually closing and reopening the loader which can be annoying.

if you don't change preferences often this won't matter but if you want your settings saved without restarting you should use the startup super extension, this adds a restart entry in kmeleon file menu which closes and reloads the loader automatically so settings are saved.. in any case, the restart super is a good to have when using the loader.

you can download restart super(must be used with loader.exe only) from this link
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/kmsuperexit.7z

Date: April 23, 2010 04:26PM

When I use the Super Restart, km does not reopen the (any) web page that I had been viewing and I have to reopen KM and manually reopen the page using the URL bar > Go, or Sessions > Undo Last Closed. I have re-downloaded/installed Super Restart several times thinking it might be corrupted but the problem persists.

Is there a way to make Super Restart automatically reopen the page I had been viewing? This is by no means a deal-breaker but it would be a nice convenience. I am using KM 1.5.4.

Thank you.

Charlie

Date: April 23, 2010 05:11PM

it's not a bug, the restart extensions are like manually closing the browser and launching it again..just in one step so it's not supposed to auto-open the last session.

this can be set per user choice using sessions
sessions>options>
select open the following session at startup and then select previous session from the dropdown menu
this will always open the last session whether when kmeleon is first launched or after restart

in theory it could be implemented by automatically writing the pref when kmeleon is closed and then removing the pref again after kmeleon is reopened, but this can be complicated and may cause problems
1- user may have sessions for startup by default so restart has to check the pref first>
2- if user has sessions enabled, then will need to get pref for sessions prompt'ask before opening'>
3- restart will have to suppress the prompt before relaunching and enable it after kmeleon is opened
4-case user doesn't have sessions enabled, restart will need to disable sessions after opening the browser

all these conditions will mean many parameters will have to be passed to autoit and act according to the variables and write to prefs.js and send accelerators back to kmeleon after reopening to set back to default settings, this will cause some delay and restarting won't be instant..the script has to make sure all prefs was written properly before reopening the browser.

writing to prefs externally is something i try to avoid as much as possible or restrict it to just one line cause one error at writing a pref may corrupt it and kmeleon will then make a new profile

Posted by: jsnj
Date: April 23, 2010 06:09PM

disrupted

all these conditions will mean many parameters will have to be passed to autoit and act according to the variables and write to prefs.js and send accelerators back to kmeleon after reopening to set back to default settings, this will cause some delay and restarting won't be instant..the script has to make sure all prefs was written properly before reopening the browser.

writing to prefs externally is something i try to avoid as much as possible or restrict it to just one line cause one error at writing a pref may corrupt it and kmeleon will then make a new profile

All of that can be handled in the macro module. I don't believe the autoit script needs to be changed. I may take a look.

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: April 23, 2010 08:20PM

Hi, disrupted,

the restart extensions are like manually closing the browser and launching it again

Isn't that true only for the "Super Restart"? I am using "Restart Plus", tweaked according
to this thread, but that tweak is only needed to avoid the session PROMPT on restart, AFAICG.

In F2, I have set a homepage, not the last session as my start page.
In the "Sessions" Options, I ticked "start with last session" and "ask before opening it".

That is perfect, IMHO, for all machines which do not necessarily need the loader.

Behaviour list:

On normal Start: Prompts: Start with last session or not?
-> if "No": Opens homepage
-> if "Yes": Opens last Session
on Start via "Restart": Opens last Session WITHOUT prompt (tweaked version).

Question: for which machines is the loader really needed? CPU < 1.2 GHz?

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2010 08:28PM by SoerenB.

Date: April 23, 2010 10:33PM

no, restart extensions either for loader or regular are for restarting the browser, nothing more than advertised.. it doesn't restore sessions and was never intended to

i don't understand the rational for restoring sessions with restart extensions, why would you restart anyway?

restart is mainly a developer's extension- or at least that was the target when first written- as an easy way to restart when testing macros or ported xpi extensions and see changes introduced.

restart super(loader) was written much later(maybe a year later) when users of loader complained about settings not saved..that version was indeed for regular users to set their changes easily without rebooting the computer or manually closing the loader. again, no save/restore session was intended or found logical at that time.

sessions is a k-plugin even though it's by default installtion, it can very well be disabled by the user. making restart rely on a k-plugin session will put too much unnecessary read code variables on a simple extension meant for for a simple and quick task.

extension like the skin manager do indeed read/fetch many prefs and writes them back according to variables, the result is a significant delay when compared to restart extension... besides the delay due to regular read an wrte to prefs, there is an added delay within the code to ensure write has been complete successfully before launching the browser.

even if automatically restoring sessions is a favourable feature that can be added to restart, the pros vs cons factors favours leaving that specific extension as it is, very simple and fast, a user who wishes to restore a session after a restart can do that manually or they can simply set session to auto open last one without the prompt. naturally, users can always edit the macro or the autoit script to add more customised features to their liking...like restoring sessions or opening specific sites but those added features may not be liked by all users especially when delays accompany such updates, bearing in mind..that some users already use old and slow machines and even if a delay is insignficant on x machine, it can be very annoying on another machine.

so the best restart is what it is now. in 2 steps:
1- closes all windows instances of the browser
2- reopens the browser

the loader is crucial to old computers but i don't think you can easily say what target cpu it's for, they are other factors..like memory, background application..even hd speed. personally i think a properly set 1.2 cpu(clean and doesn't have lots of rubbish running) with adequate ram doesn't really need the loader. loader probably shines on 800mhz(single cpu) and lower.

p.s. restart extension is very special to me (desga knows why) smiling smiley

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: April 24, 2010 07:55AM

Hi, disrupted,

i think a properly set 1.2 cpu(clean and doesn't have lots of rubbish running) with adequate ram doesn't really need the loader. loader probably shines on 800mhz(single cpu) and lower.

That's good info - thanks!

p.s. restart extension is very special to me (desga knows why)

Well, I certainly didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings. If I have, I'm very sorry!

As far as the rest of your post is concerned, I do not understand it completely, but I guess most is about speed and perfomance.

Well, I was not that interested in loading speed on restart.
Hence my loader-related question (like: "Dear reader, if your machine is so slow as to really need the loader, you need not read the rest of this!").
I was rather interested in saving MouseClicks, and avoiding time-chopping by unnecessary prompts.

In the same context:
for this your question
i don't understand the rational for restoring sessions with restart extensions, why would you restart anyway?
imagine the follwing scenario, which happens quite freqently here:

I have some open tabs, lets say some help/forum pages at autohotkey.com in one window, some IT-related news at www.heise.de plus some kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum pages in a second window.
Now, there I happen to find some setting/ option/ extension I'd like to give a try right away, before having done the reading on all those other pages.
So, after installing, or editing prefs, or whatever, I click "Restart", and then I'm FREE to do something ELSE.
When I return to K-Meleon in 3, or 33, minutes, I can check my new settings/ extension, and continue my daily reading.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: April 24, 2010 02:52PM
Posted by: disrupted(un)
Date: April 24, 2010 11:50PM

restart update;

enables opening last session+ suppress tabwarn close prompt if applicable(does not affect user setting for tabwarn)
auto detects loader process: one version for users with loader and regular without loader
option to disable open last session(regular restart:homepage)
edit>configuration>restart options>open last session

download for both loader and no loader:
restart regular(no toolbar button) button:http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/restartkm.7z
restart+toolbar button(plus):http://kmext.sourceforge.net/files/restartkm2.7z

!important:
for loader.exe users, if you;ve previously used the older version (superexit); you must uninstall that version first befor downloading the update.
use kem to uninstall or manually delete those files:
macros\loaderestarter.kmm
root\kmsuperexit.exe
root\kmsuperexit.au3
root\superexit-readme.txt
kmextensions\superexit-restart(forLOADER.EXE).ini

Date: April 25, 2010 12:35AM

please note: start with last session adds 240-280ms delay, disabling last session removes the delay like in older version

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.