Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
Jartester problem
Posted by: mouse
Date: November 13, 2010 11:22AM

I cannot make jartester find the xul files in any jar file, including those for extensions already installed in k-meleon. The dialog that is ussposed to list the xul files just lists nothing. I have 7-zip installed on the default path (Program files\7-zip).

Under help it says to set the 7-zip path (of not default) using atl-shift-j, but nothing happens when I do this.

Jarfiles and manifests are in chrome folder.

Can anyone help? Would really appreciate it. Have tried adding 7-zip to path environment variable, and making 7-zip default open action file association (now restored to original Java assn).

Jartester was installed using defaults

Many thanks in anticipation.

Mouse

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jartester problem
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: November 13, 2010 01:59PM

Hum, Imust say there is a long time I have made this extension, and also a long time I haven't used it.

Looking for jartester.kmm, must probably give you the answer. You must modify it to add the 7-zip folder path.

After that, it will probably work ...

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: November 13, 2010 02:50PM

Thanks very much for your help. Sorry still cannot get it to work.

Have inserted the following line in Jartester.kmm, before the general section:

$_7Zip_Path="\"C:\\Program Files\\7-Zip\\7z.exe";

This is the correct path. I copied your syntax in the file.

I used your installer to install it the tool.

Still lists no .xul files, thought they are there in the .jar

I note that it appears to be able to run at leat one .xul though - about.xul, if I put the name in myself.

Sorry it isn't any easy fiX! very much appreciate your help

Mouse

Posted by: siria
Date: November 13, 2010 03:13PM

Have no idea about that stuff, sorry, just wonder if "7z.exe" really is the correct one? It looks like a dos version or such, the 'normal' version with the filemanager is starting with "7zFM.exe"

Date: November 13, 2010 05:33PM

Good thought,but no that did not work.

Bit doubtful that 7-zip is at fault now. But not sre what else it could be!

Thanks anyway

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 13, 2010 10:11PM

You did everything right with the 7zip path.
It must be only edited on non English systems.

IMHO the tester does not do an intermediate step. A minor bug? No matter.

Workaround: Open the jar in 7zip and choose a file name that ends in XUL.
What we need is in ./*.jar/content/ (not in locale or skin)!

Choose the jar already opened. When You are prompted to insert a name, chose one & try it.

I chose E.g. Stocklist

Now: ok Your choice.

If it is usable - it will come up. Else choose another item name that ends in .XUL.

Common problems: Only overlays available. sad smiley

The following example is from roboform. The window part originally said overlay. Which is unusable to K-Meleon. You can also use "dialog" or some other thing K-Meleon can use. I did not bother to edit anything more - so "id = ...overlay" still tongue sticking out smiley

<window id="roboNavigatorOverlay"... 

And edit the closing tag as well. smiling smiley

</window>

Best do as search & replace in the editor.

Similar things can be done for sidebar overlays.

Other problems. References CSS of browser. Redirect to ./skin/global or ./skin/communicator else get the CSS, include and reference it in Your K-Meleon extension.

BTW. The error console will guide You to problem spots. Open it.

Maybe first try to retro engineer one or two done by disrupted or alain.
You will find the originals somewhere at the FF extension pages.

Good luck, future success and welcome to the club smiling smiley

p.s. Keep smiling if You encounter a no go - not all can be converted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2010 11:05PM by guenter.

Attachments: jartester.gif (20.4 KB)   stocklist.gif (16.6 KB)  
Date: November 14, 2010 10:09AM

Thanks very much for all your help, and the welcome.

Just a greying 4GL programmer i'm afraid - nothing up to date!

Anyway, what I was trying to do was port an extension which does deep SSL checking - the extension is verification engine www.vengine.com from Comodo. (I'm a Comodo forum mod).

What the apps does is give various indications on level of security when you access an .ssl page. It also checks whether the name of the org on the page matches the IP I think, and compares with a very selective whitelist. Pages are graded safe, middling, or unsafe according to the details of the certficate (normal, enhanced security, revoked) etc, and IP details. The reason for the grading is available. Level of security is indicated by page border colour - and a sort of alert that flashes out from the padlock, and can be invoked by hovering over it. This carries more certificate details than standard certificate dialogs. It also has flashing arrows that indicate where it is reading the company name from.

The extension is available for FF and for what they describe as Mozilla 1.7 (Seamonkey?). At the moment I'm trying the firefox files. Dunno if the Seamonkey files would be different or an advantage?

The FF extension files sit in a Program files/vengine subdirectory. I've worked out I think the right places to put them in K-meleon. They include:
- a Jar (in XUL's and a .js) >put in chrome
- a .manifest > put in chrome
- a dll > put in componets
- a xpt > put in componets
- an install.rdf and .js, which I believe irrelevant

I think above you are suggesting I edit the manifest, not the jar? Contents of chrome.manifest below (does it need renaming to same as JAR?). Already edited content line - is it correct?

content vengineext jar:vengineext.jar!/content/
overlay chrome://browser/content/browser.xul chrome://vengineext/content/vengineoverlay.xul
overlay chrome://browser/content/browser.xul chrome://vengineext/content/vengineoverlayev.xul appversion>=2.0
overlay chrome://browser/content/browser.xul chrome://vengineext/content/vengineoverlayev_old.xul appversion<2.0
overlay chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul chrome://vengineext/content/vengineoverlay.xul
overlay chrome://pippki/content/downloadcert.xul chrome://vengineext/content/vengineoverlaycertdlg.xul

I would imagine that the best implementation in KM would be for the security grade to be reflected in browser URL bar colour, and for it to be possible to invoke a dialog with all the details, maybe by hovering on the padlock. But just the ability to invoke the dialog with the details would be helpful.

One thing I note already is that if the DLL is in the coponent directory KM aopens then closes immediately it has finished loading the page. Dunno what this means. If I rename this file to xxx.OLD, this does not happen.

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

Mouse

Date: November 14, 2010 08:12PM

mouse
Just a greying 4GL programmer i'm afraid - nothing up to date!

The extension is available for FF and for what they describe as Mozilla 1.7 (Seamonkey?). At the moment I'm trying the firefox files. Dunno if the Seamonkey files would be different or an advantage?

The FF extension files sit in a Program files/vengine subdirectory. I've worked out I think the right places to put them in K-meleon. They include:
- a Jar (in XUL's and a .js) >put in chrome
- a .manifest > put in chrome
- a dll > put in componets
- a xpt > put in componets
- an install.rdf and .js, which I believe irrelevant

I think above you are suggesting I edit the manifest, not the jar? Contents of chrome.manifest below (does it need renaming to same as JAR?). Already edited content line - is it correct?

content vengineext jar:vengineext.jar!/content/
overlay chrome://browser/content/browser.xul chrome://vengineext/content/vengineoverlay.xul
overlay chrome://browser/content/browser.xul chrome://vengineext/content/vengineoverlayev.xul appversion>=2.0
overlay chrome://browser/content/browser.xul chrome://vengineext/content/vengineoverlayev_old.xul appversion<2.0
overlay chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul chrome://vengineext/content/vengineoverlay.xul
overlay chrome://pippki/content/downloadcert.xul chrome://vengineext/content/vengineoverlaycertdlg.xul

I would imagine that the best implementation in KM would be for the security grade to be reflected in browser URL bar colour, and for it to be possible to invoke a dialog with all the details, maybe by hovering on the padlock. But just the ability to invoke the dialog with the details would be helpful.

One thing I note already is that if the DLL is in the coponent directory KM aopens then closes immediately it has finished loading the page. Dunno what this means. If I rename this file to xxx.OLD, this does not happen.

1.) 4GL is as good as any training - my guess - I am user and only learned HTML and some Basic way back.

2.) You would probably best use the Firefox port if it is new. Mozilla 1.7 GRE code will probably stop to work with 1.6 (MIMEEdit extension also stopped).

3.) Yes You are right that is where they go, do not forget that You have to delete ./components/compreg.dat & xpti.dat after You added an xpt. They will be rewritten including the new info about Your xpt.

4.) Your manifest looks good - You altered the manifest to have K-Meleons chrome paths. The overlays info is AFAIK not used by K-Meleon. He has no chrome that can be overlayed. Paths to "content", "locale" and "skin" is all.

5.) K-Meleon has no XUL URLBar that You can color or call easily. It is C++ and only Dorian programms c++. No idea how and if You can do it.

6.) You mean that the dll works with K-Meleon and does something?

I will resume my own chore now and update a few version 1.5 skins to 1.6 smiling smiley

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: November 15, 2010 08:17AM

I think 7zFM.exe is't the right program to use.

For kmPackager, I use 7za.exe which is a line command for 7z, and it works.

I don't know if it's installed with 7z, look for 7z folders, and set the path to it.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: November 15, 2010 12:48PM

guenter
3.) Yes You are right that is where they go, do not forget that You have to delete ./components/compreg.dat & xpti.dat after You added an xpt. They will be rewritten including the new info about Your xpt.
Thanks yes worked this out from another post of yours I think! Now strangely these .dats are not being recreated. So I guesss I may need to re-install KM, if there's not a simmple fix.

guenter
4.) Your manifest looks good - You altered the manifest to have K-Meleons chrome
guenter
paths. The overlays info is AFAIK not used by K-Meleon. He has no chrome that can be overlayed. Paths to "content", "locale" and "skin" is all.
Thanks. Some other ported extensions do still have overlay= in them, but I assume from what you say that these are redundant and are simply ignored.

guenter
5.) K-Meleon has no XUL URLBar that You can color or call easily. It is C++ and only Dorian programms c++. No idea how and if You can do it.
Pity. I guess it will need to be a pop up window or 'bubbble' or something then, or writing text maybe next to the padlock. Is footer accessible? Can you ask for a border colour change, or a border to flash outside the page border. Is there any documentaion that says what functions exist?

Still not sure what I should edit. Sound like its the .xul files in the JAR - is that where you put the window calls you refer to in the first post?

guenter
6.) You mean that the dll works with K-Meleon and does something?
Not really. It seems KM must be calling it, as KM crashes a the point it would be called if it is not renamed.

In general des the presence of a .dll mean that extension cannot be ported or that the dll functions will not work?

guenter
I will resume my own chore now and update a few version 1.5 skins to 1.6 smiling smiley

Well rhanks you very much for your help and sorry for all the questions. Not sure if this stuff is documented anywhere, else I would try that first.

Best wishes

Mouse

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2010 12:50PM by mouse.

Date: November 15, 2010 12:56PM

JujuLand
I think 7zFM.exe is't the right program to use.

For kmPackager, I use 7za.exe which is a line command for 7z, and it works.

I don't know if it's installed with 7z, look for 7z folders, and set the path to it.

A+

Thanks very much JuJuland, Tried this but no go I am afraid. Wondering if the 'utils' macros need any extra actions to install. They are in there, lised in the GUI macros dialog, and ticked?

As far as I can see the text file that should contain the xul list is not getting created. I'll try procmon to se if I can confirm this.

Best wishes

Mouse

Date: November 16, 2010 10:53PM

mouse

guenter
Pity. I guess it will need to be a pop up window or 'bubbble' or something then, or writing text maybe next to the padlock. Is footer accessible? Can you ask for a border colour change, or a border to flash outside the page border. Is there any documentaion that says what functions exist?

Still not sure what I should edit. Sound like its the .xul files in the JAR - is that where you put the window calls you refer to in the first post?

I found something FlasblockButton extension with the little icon bar by desga2. It changes icons to show the state of a pref. Could You perhaps adapt that idea? You have experience with programming and maybe Your extension uses states of prefs?

Exactly You edit the files in ./chrome/*.jar/content usually starting with the XUL file that is used by K-Meleon e.g. to change the options or to show a state until it works = K-Meleon ErrorConsole shows no more errors and the XUL window does what You want.

JarTester is used to start such XUL files on the fly to see what they do and to find what errors they raise. You follow the messages of/on the ErrorConsole to the point where execution stops with an error. Fix it & start again.

mouse
and sorry for all the questions. Not sure if this stuff is documented anywhere, else I would try that first.

Absolutely no need to be sorry. You are trying to create something that ALL can use later = ME TOO! smiling smiley

Detailed "How to hack Firefox Extensions" have been described several times - there should be threads.

In a nutshell since You already solved the initial steps alone.

Unpack, drop files into the right K-Meleon folder, if needed delete the 2 ./components/*.dat, fix paths of ./chrome/manifest to work in ./K-Meleon/chrome, start XUL files in ./*.jar/content/ to find which XUL file(s) You need to start the extension & which are used by the other XUL files, find thrown errors in XUL and JS files with the help of Console, fix the errors as good as You can. Common errors: reference to Firefox chrome styles or XUL -> comment out or redirect to K-Meleon chrome or include and reference Firefox files e.g. browser.CSS. JS errors: fix if You can - comment out sometimes helps.

IF You get Your extension to run, You create a kmm that starts the extension, toggles a pref... and last not least You post/adertise it and its download place in Form grinning smiley

p.s. I finished the finding & update of the 2 keys in the toolbars.cfg of 150+ skins and some other changes in as many *.nsi and txt files faster than I though. It is uploaded already. Found and used a tool that more or less helped to automize the job smiling smiley
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?10,112251,112251#msg-112251

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 11:08PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.