Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
Readable
Posted by: jsnj
Date: September 11, 2010 09:19PM

Macro Extension for K-Meleon v1.1 - 1.6 pre beta

DOWNLOAD & INSTALL (Setup File) Restart K-M after installing.

Readable is the most customizable online solution for manipulating web content and making it readable. It transforms text on any website using fonts, colors, and layouts of your choosing. Left-click the toolbar/button to view text through Readable. Right-click the button to customize the style. Also available via the context menu and the View menu. Javascript required.

*Tip: Customizations are updated on the fly, so activate Readable on a web page then right-click the button to access the options and see the changes immediately.

Enjoy! smiling smiley

COMMENTS/QUESTIONS welcomed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2010 09:29PM by jsnj.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Readable
Posted by: Matt
Date: September 12, 2010 11:23AM

Thanks a lot, jsnj for Readable AND Tab All Windows. Both work perfectly. You included all options, even video options!

I'm gonna try to find some time to make a kml language definiton file for Readable.

Date: September 12, 2010 09:05PM

Matt
Thanks a lot, jsnj for Readable AND Tab All Windows. Both work perfectly. You included all options, even video options!

I'm gonna try to find some time to make a kml language definiton file for Readable.

Thanks Matt. I'm sure some people would appreciate that. When/if you do, I'll add translation parenthesis to the kmm file.

Date: September 13, 2010 06:05PM

Done. Once again THANK YOU, jsnj. Readable and Readability save my tired eyes.

Attachments: locales.7z (996 bytes)  
Posted by: panzer
Date: September 16, 2010 08:21AM

Which options are best for tired eyes? Do you know?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2010 08:26AM by panzer.

Posted by: caktus
Date: September 16, 2010 04:19PM

Newspaper/Large or Extra Large/Wide works best for me but don't let that keep you from experimenting with different combinations. BTW, Readability does not work well with some Home Pages and forums and can cause you to loose any dialog you may have typed.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: September 16, 2010 05:43PM

Hi, panzer,

eyes can be tired in so many ways, displays display so differently, and tastes vary widely. I, for one, hate serifed fonts, though many say they are easier to read.

The most important thing for my 60-year-old pair, (- myopic, too, from childhood) has nothing to do with Readable, though: it's a line in my userContent.css:
* {font-weight: 900 !important; }
which makes any font BOLD

As to Readable: I have it set to "Blueprint", Narrow/SansSerif", 15 or 16 px, LH 1.25em, Alignments: normal,normal,center, TB width to cover around 900-950 of my 1024 pixels, both margins 1.3em.

The transparency & video settings are not important to me.

Concerning the color theme: mine is at LightGrey/OffBlack, but I'd rather have LightGrey/"Real"Black - that's not offered, though.

@ jsnj: this was great work, again! thanks a big lot!
Is there any way to get that LightGrey/"Real"Black by editing the .kmm?

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: September 17, 2010 03:39AM

caktus
BTW, Readability does not work well with some Home Pages and forums and can cause you to loose any dialog you may have typed.

Readable or Readability or both?

SoerenB
Concerning the color theme: mine is at LightGrey/OffBlack, but I'd rather have LightGrey/"Real"Black - that's not offered, though.

@ jsnj: this was great work, again! thanks a big lot!
Is there any way to get that LightGrey/"Real"Black by editing the .kmm?

Thanks. No. The color theme is controlled by scripts located on the Readable site. I included all the color themes offered on the site. The js in the kmm file just specifies which of the offered themes to use.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 03:42AM by jsnj.

Date: September 17, 2010 05:46AM

@ jsnj

AFAIK, just Readability. I don't have Readable installed. This is the message I receive when trying to use Readability on home pages:

K-Meleon

Readability was intended for use on individual articles and not home pages. If you'd like to try rendering this page anyway, click here to continue. When I click on continue, Readability does the best it can to alter the page to my Readability settings.

When I accidentally clicked on Readability while typing in the text box in one of the KM Forums it seems to alter the page to my Readability settings but the text I typed had disappeared. I forget the other forum I tried it on but that one did the same thing. I haven't checked to see if I could actually post using the Readability plugin.

Charlie

Date: September 17, 2010 06:50AM

Hi, Charlie,

maybe you should just try Readable, it works with less interaction, I guess. On sites you know to cause problems to identify the content part, just select that with your mouse, only then click the button - worked perfectly so far.

As to the edit field thing: I never thought of using it there, will try right away - well, after copying this to the clipboard, that is.

After testing: all is ok, meaning:

it doesn't handle forum text boxes, as I expected. But other than what you stated about Readability, it does no harm to what I typed before.
A message appears stating "Automatic content extraction failed".
Following the instructions for selecting which comes with this message changes nothing.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 06:50AM by SoerenB.

Date: September 17, 2010 08:03AM

panzer
Which options are best for tired eyes? Do you know?

Dark Green / Off White is my best choice, but... De gustibus est non disputandum ;-)

Date: September 17, 2010 08:10AM

Yes, but I have never found a research, published on net, on what options are really the best ones. Not what somebody prefers, but what is actually the best for your eyes.

I prefer to watch tv in dark room at the evenings, but that doesn't make it good for my eyes, now does it?

I use F.lux for some time now. If you take a look at how your eyes feel when you don't use it at all (at the evenings) and how relaxed they became when you use it, you can truly see the difference.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 08:13AM by panzer.

Date: September 17, 2010 09:18AM

panzer
what is actually the best for your eyes

Isn't that a question that does require some medical advice, which should be given after an examination of your very own special pair?

panzer
Which options are best for tired eyes?
Well, a medical advice even I can give: If your eyes are perfectly okay again after a good night's sleep, the advice is: keep'em shut for long enough every day!
Find out whether you strain the muscles around your eyes a lot: that would be a sign for suboptimal settings.

Mind you: there ain't no such thing as "best options"! Some folks need as much contrast as they can get when reading, for others the brightness of the white background, or of the white font on black background, coming with that is too bright, so they need less contrast.
Fonts should be big enough to be easily read from your working distance from screen.
That one should be between 1.5 and 2.5 times the display's diagonal, and should take into account the ergonomics of YOUR space: keyboard, mouse, chair situation.

btw., have you tried ergonomics as search term? Maybe you'll find some hints ...

Again: feel the muscles around your eyes, and stop reading if your eyes start hurting - possibly a bit earlier. And go to an opthalmologist if you feel things are getting worse. Which they will, most probably, from around 50 years onward ...

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: September 17, 2010 09:23AM

Thanx. I was more thinking about colors and how some pages uses nasty mix of colors so you cannot stay there for long time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 09:31AM by panzer.

Date: September 17, 2010 03:38PM

I have found that, as SoerenB mentioned, closing my eyes for a few seconds or so seems to help momentarily. I have found that viewing TV in the dark that it helps to have a little indirect light on top of or behind the TV. Well, for me anyway.

I find it is easy on the eyes if the desktop or web page back ground is set to a light yellow or opaque. Well, again, for me, anyway. But some web page designs are hard-wired to prevent this.

Charlie

Date: September 17, 2010 05:00PM

Hi,
cactus
But some web page designs are hard-wired to prevent this.
and I presume now that that is what panzer meant, too. Sorry I did not think of that
- that's because I haven't seen such a page for a long time.

Those are pages, then, that don't have "text" file type content? Selecting text to copy & paste to notepad simply is not possible? So in most cases it is flash-, less often image content, and whatnot.

Neither Readable nor Readability can help here, and MY best advice (there may be better advice ..) is:
write an email to webmaster@- and info@- domain.name.tld and tell them your opinion, and look elsewhere for similar content displayed less nastyly.

PS:
caktus
closing my eyes for a few seconds
I meant: try to get more sleep ...

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 05:04PM by SoerenB.

Date: September 18, 2010 06:47PM

SoerenB
Selecting text to copy & paste to notepad simply is not possible?

I have found that some such pages will permit content to be copied and copied using Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C. But I don't know if this can work with Readability.

SoerenB
I meant: try to get more sleep ...

I bet that works too.:cool:

Charlie

Date: September 28, 2010 08:28AM

SoerenB

Mind you: there ain't no such thing as "best options"! Some folks need as much contrast as they can get when reading, for others the brightness of the white background, or of the white font on black background, coming with that is too bright, so they need less contrast.
Fonts should be big enough to be easily read from your working distance from screen.
That one should be between 1.5 and 2.5 times the display's diagonal, and should take into account the ergonomics of YOUR space: keyboard, mouse, chair situation.

Only yesterday I found Darkscreen extension I made a while ago. Darkscreen is good, although it shuts itself down for a milisecond sometimes. The alternative to this is SsOverlay, which places a colored overlay onto the screen. The color and transparency levels can be adjusted to suit the user (Darkscreen only dims the screen).

Btw, the new page should include more mild green color that the one we have now. smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2010 08:40AM by panzer.

Date: December 13, 2010 08:15AM

caktus
I find it is easy on the eyes if the desktop or web page back ground is set to a light yellow or opaque.

Could I change the color of the text and backround if I read a text in off-line mode (downloaded page)? I have some books in html format and would want to have a black backround and a green text.

How should I do that?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.