Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
Issue with the BetterPrivacy addon
Posted by: Zero3K
Date: October 03, 2014 04:43PM

*subject*

Its not showing that I changed the settings in its Options & Help tab. It shows what is selected by default instead of what I selected/changed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Issue with the BetterPrivacy addon
Posted by: guenter
Date: October 08, 2014 04:33PM

IMHO better/easier to try via the existing FireFox addon. So maybe make a thread here. In case someone knows somthing.

Summary: The BetterPrivacy Addon shows the Flash cookies and partly manages them for K-Meleon 74 but has the problems reported by the initiator of this RFD in the 74 announcement thread.

guenter
Zero3K
I'm having issues with the BetterPrivacy addon which is installed into K-Meleon 74. Its not showing that I changed the settings in its Options & Help tab. It shows what is selected by default instead of what I selected/changed. Also, none of the options I changed are taking effect.

If settings do not stick it indicates that an addon is broken.
One JavaScript error usually knocks an addon out for good.sad smiley

You can try to find the error via Console2.

It is often that only one thing or a setting (or maybe two) is broken - if that is the case and it is no essential item deactivate it - edit it out. You need no profound JS knowledge to try - only a little html and JS reading. You can only improve it.

If You do nothing - it will do nothing. smiling smiley

No idea why it is not showing changes in the settings panel but You can try to experiment and look whether changing the settings does something in about:config?

Go about:config type into the search box: .bprivacy.

That calls most or all BetterPrivacy prefs.

Next toggle a setting via about:addons in the settings manager of the addon.

Next You try to see how that behaves in about:config. In theory it must show the new state after a page refresh of about:config if the new pref is set.

Check whether You get the flash cookies killed if You set it to automatic.

The XUL window that notifies and asks You in Firefox may not fire up.

Check whether it works anyhow. That is what all is about. Even if the panel only partly works.

If the settinsg panel does not work either You are not yet stuck.

You can do the settings in FireFox and transfer them one by one to K-Meleon.
That it when a K-Meleon can come tp play. It can be made to help with the settings. But You may have to learn to code kmm Yourself. There are examples to show how to toogle a pref value in the forum and at K-Meleon Extensions Page.

p.s. I must admitt that I am not interested much in the flash cookies problem as long as sites can also fingerprint Your machine via the installed plugins (there is AFAIR a addon against this) and via installed fonts (AFAIR none for this). All three can only be used while flash is active. See at browserspy.dk. Each of the three together with Your IP makes Your machine unique (or almost) among millions of user PCs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2014 05:30PM by guenter.

Options: ReplyQuote

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.