Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
Need to reinstall K-Meleon 1.6
Posted by: Larkspur
Date: November 07, 2014 09:00PM

I mistakenly downloaded and installed K-Meleon 74 with the installer, and because it wouldn't let me rename the directory it put itself into it overwrote 6.1. I'd created a restore point just before the installation, but after performing the Restore, 6.1 remained thoroughly screwed up. Because 74 does not support some extensions I rely heavily upon, I want to continue using those two older versions; therefore I uninstalled the installer version of 74 and will in future use only the portable version.

But now I have to do fresh "installations" of both previous versions. I don't want to have to rebuild my profiles, bookmarks, cookies from scratch. I also want version 6.1.0 and 1.6.0 Beta 2.6 to share their bookmarks, caches, cookies, extensions etc. Don't know if I can make 74 do the same. It seems to have a whole new arrangement to its directories.

Can some kind soul list for me exactly what folders/files I need to save from their original directories so that I do not have to rebuild all this stuff? I'm likely to forget something if I don't get some help.

Thanks muchly,

Larkspur

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need to reinstall K-Meleon 1.6
Posted by: guenter
Date: November 08, 2014 07:49AM

I install each K-Meleon with installer. I change the name during install.

How. I choose "user defined install" (I never use default) that guides me to a field where it offers the last used install location as default. This target (sorry retranslated from German) field is editable. There I give each install an unique name.

I tried to upload an example pic but Forum does not let me.

Examples in the same folder/HDD root e:/

.k-meleon1.5.3pt-BR
.k-meleon1.6beta2.en-US
.k-meleon1.6beta2.en-US1.9.19 (uses newer GRE than the one above)
K-Meleon1.1.6_2de-DE
K-Meleon1.7a2up1
K-Meleon74.0
K-Meleon74.0RC
K-Meleon74.7+1

c:/Programme/ = c:/program files/ in English.

K-Meleon0.7.1
K-Meleon0.8.2
K-Meleon0.9
K-Meleon1.0de-de
K-Meleon8.2de
K-MeleonCCFME0.089
Kmlite...

Each is installed so that it has its own folder ./K-Meleon/profiles... The plder ones had it there anyway. The newer are set up as portable install. They get their default settings when I copy an old profile into the new user profile.
Passwords bookmarks and all.

I have kept the old ones for comparison/support. It lets me check whether a bug is old.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2014 09:39AM by guenter.

Attachments: Zwischenablage01.gif (95.4 KB)  
Re: Need to reinstall K-Meleon 1.6
Posted by: siria
Date: November 15, 2014 10:48AM

Larkspur
I'd created a restore point just before the installation, but after performing the Restore, 6.1 remained thoroughly screwed up.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/About_omni.ja_(formerly_omni.jar)

Mozilla
Starting with Firefox 10 and Thunderbird 10, the file extension .ja is used because Windows System Restore does not back up files with the .jar extension, but it does back up .ja files. This change was needed to prevent Firefox from becoming corrupted.

Uh oh... that doesn't sound good sad smiley
In the case of KM1.6, it does contain some native jar-files in the folder "chrome".
Perhaps it helps to copy them over manually again, extracted from a zipped KM1.6 download, but no idea.
But there are also a few rare extensions out there which come with a jar-file.

The question is also, would overwriting with km74 actually *delete* the old chrome folder?? Perhaps a setup-version?
And the next question: what if we use the popular old method of just unzipping a new KM into the old KM folder, and the new one is KM74?? Would it ignore the old chrome folder, since it's not used any more, or would it mess anything?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.