Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
HTTPS in YouTube won't let YouTube-services load
Posted by: newbial
Date: January 01, 2015 11:25PM

Hello everyone,

YouTube loads with HTTPS (even when I enter HTTP manually). Is there any way I can stop this? Thanks (and please, if you can help, keep it simple because I am a complete newbie). I am using K-Meleon 1.6.0 (because I have tons of extensions).

Thanks a million.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HTTPS in YouTube won't let YouTube-services load
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 02, 2015 12:25PM

καλημέρα newbial,

I know nothing to help You / no way around it.

I tested with several other new browsers with different engines but it seems to be a feature of all (it is in their list to force https / HSTS list) or better Youtube wants it. Youtube https was introduced some time ago (see here) to counter the beast attack.

If You deactivate secure connection - which You still can do with 1.6/1.7 You will get the following error.

SSL failure
Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.youtube.com.

Can't connect securely because the SSL protocol has been disabled.

(Error code: ssl_error_ssl_disabled)

Posted by: siria
Date: January 02, 2015 01:21PM

Wish I knew myself a way to work around server-forced httpS, because now I'm getting on other sites (not youtube, guess it was yahoo) constantly annoying browser warnings about "mixed content" with "unsecure" parts in it, on completely harmless content pages. So finally I had to switch off those warnings completely, grmpf.

newbial
please, if you can help, keep it simple because I am a complete newbie.
I am using K-Meleon 1.6.0 (because I have tons of extensions).

Uhm, if you have tons of extensions and using an old version, how does that make you a newbie? Rather sounds like you've been using KM for years <confused>

newbial
Well the actual problem is that I am having an impossible time downloading YT videos. Specifically:

(1) With the regular HTTP instead of HTTPS this "extnension"/"addon"/"macro" (or whatever it is called), which I had installed using the KM Extensions Manager, would 'slide down' appearing at the very top of the particular YouTube page I was on and would give me various options to download the video in different formats like flv, MP4 Hi Res, MP4 Low Res, mp3, 3gp. (I'm sorry I don't know the name of the "extnension"/"addon"/"macro").

(2) About a month or so ago the HTTPS has been appearing as the default connecting protocol to YouTube. Back then I would simply (a)empty cache, (b)delete cookies and (c)delete flash cookies (by going to the main toolbar in K-Meleon 1.6.0 and clicking Tools-->>Privacy-->>Clear Data) and then reconnecting to YouTube and the HTTPS would no longer appear and so the "sliding macro/addon" would appear, giving me options to download the video, in the way I mentioned in (1) above. (Sometimes, I would even just delete the S in HTTPS, leaving just the HTTP, and hitting the <Enter> key on my keyboard and this would also work).

(3) Now, however, there is no way of getting rid of the HTTPS and therefore no way of the "sliding "extnension"/"addon"/"macro" to appear.

By the way I'm still on KM1.6 too, due to win98, but am using the latest and improved version KM1.6beta2.6
For downloading I still use the special hexed flash9 plugin, which works great since years, except that it doesn't offer that luxury of choosing formats. But on the other hand it spares me the struggles of having to hunt for script updates every couple of months when the server scripts have changed again grinning smiley

So whichever script your macro uses, it probably needs an update, and in most cases that can be found in its original source on the web. To identify which specific macro you use, I'd do a text search for "youtube" in your KM/macros folders. Then look inside the found kmm-file with a text editor (notepad++ or similar) and look for links in it. Either a local downloaded script or a to a web-script. That should give you hints where to look for updates.

But there is another prob: The javascript engine in your KM1.6 is rather old, so more and more newer scripts don't work in it anymore.
If your machine isn't stone-age, I'd consider installing KM74 or KM75up1. You can install the new version parallel into a *separate* folder with another name. But first do a complete backup of your old installation folder (c:/programs) plus all the profile folders in your c:/users account.

Date: January 04, 2015 04:15PM

Hi guenter,

Thanks a million for the reply. I can't say that I understood everything I read but at least it seems HTTPS is now impossible to get rid of. I really appreciate you taking the time to shed some light. smiling smiley

Re: HTTPS in YouTube won't let YouTube-services loadsmiling smiley
Date: January 04, 2015 04:59PM

Hi siria,

Thank you for taking the time and offering great advice! smiling smiley

siria
Wish I knew myself a way to work around server-forced httpS, because now I'm getting on other sites (not youtube, guess it was yahoo) constantly annoying browser warnings about "mixed content" with "unsecure" parts in it, on completely harmless content pages. So finally I had to switch off those warnings completely, grmpf.

Yup, same here. Happening more and more. I guess the "odder" (non-mainstream) the browser and older the OS the more HTTPS by default. Dunno.

siria
Uhm, if you have tons of extensions and using an old version, how does that make you a newbie? Rather sounds like you've been using KM for years <confused>

As subject of my post says, I need help with HTTPS and making extensions work, not using K-Meleon or installing extensions. smiling smiley

siria
For downloading I still use the special hexed flash9 plugin, which works great since years, except that it doesn't offer that luxury of choosing formats.

See now you're getting all technical on me and I'm lost. Googled "special hexed flash9 plugin" and first hit I got was that it could be an exploit, yikes!

siria
So whichever script your macro uses, it probably needs an update, and in most cases that can be found in its original source on the web. To identify which specific macro you use, I'd do a text search for "youtube" in your KM/macros folders. Then look inside the found kmm-file with a text editor (notepad++ or similar) and look for links in it. Either a local downloaded script or a to a web-script. That should give you hints where to look for updates.

Magical advice, thank you! (It will probably take me 12 years to get this done but I will try). :-) Question regarding that: if I used the Extensions Manager to install it then it is definitely an Extension, right? (I mean, it can't be a macro)?

siria
But there is another prob: The javascript engine in your KM1.6 is rather old, so more and more newer scripts don't work in it anymore.
If your machine isn't stone-age, I'd consider installing KM74 or KM75up1. You can install the new version parallel into a *separate* folder with another name. But first do a complete backup of your old installation folder (c:/programs) plus all the profile folders in your c:/users account.

Something I wouldn't even had dreamt of. What should I name the new folder?

Thank you so much for taking the time!

Re: HTTPS in YouTube won't let YouTube-services loadsmiling smiley
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 05, 2015 11:47AM

newbial

siria
For downloading I still use the special hexed flash9 plugin, which works great since years, except that it doesn't offer that luxury of choosing formats.

See now you're getting all technical on me and I'm lost. Googled "special hexed flash9 plugin" and first hit I got was that it could be an exploit, yikes!

siria

Magical advice, thank you! (It will probably take me 12 years to get this done but I will try). :-) Question regarding that: if I used the Extensions Manager to install it then it is definitely an Extension, right? (I mean, it can't be a macro)?

siria

Something I wouldn't even had dreamt of. What should I name the new folder?

1.) For Hexed Flash better use the K-Meleon Forum link. Posted by people that are here for long.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,114856,131443,page=13#msg-131443

2.) No, it can be a solitary macro also.

3.) How about c:/program files/K-Meleon74.0 and c:/program files/K-Meleon75up1 :O

Each folder must have an unique name. Next You maybe create a link to the desktop for each exe.

I renamed them to things like 74.0 and 75.up1. Then right click on the link and open its properties. Example from my HDD.

E:\K-Meleon74.0\k-meleon.exe -new

Add the parameter "-new" behind each link. That lets You start that version while another K-Meleon is still working. Provided it has its own profile.

This and other commands are indexed in 1.6beta.en-US/defaults/commands.html,
K-Meleon74.0/browser/defaults/commands.html.

A unique profile can be achieved easiest by creating a portable install that has a profiles folder in its install directory. Example:

c:/program files/K-Meleon74.0/profiles/..

On XP and higher You have to manually grant writing privileges to that folder.

I actually still use what started as an old 1.6 profile. It is copied to each new version. An old idea of siria. 74 can transfer old password files to the new system. It is described in the forum somewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2015 12:01PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.