Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
progress bar showing cache % in statusbar
Posted by: mhf
Date: November 11, 2011 09:19PM

What do you think? A progress bar showing the used space of the cache in the statusbar.

This would be useful for me as after loading lots of images or videos KM begins to slow as the cache is nearly full - the progress bar could even have a context menu allowing to empty the cache (disk and/or memory).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: progress bar showing cache % in statusbar
Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 12, 2011 02:56AM

@ mhf

I think this thread should be in the "Improvements" section rather than the "Extensions". Maybe a moderator will move it.

In 1.5.4 the information is available in the PREFERENCES - CACHE area. There are buttons to VIEW either the memory cache or the disk cache.

In 1.6.0 beta2 only the disk cache is working. I think this is a bug. I think I will report it in the "Bugs" section.

As for the statusbar, I don't think that would work very well. Too many things could overwrite the information there. An 'on demand' view of the cache percentages could be useful. I don't know how to do it yet. The preferences panels do not use the macro language. I will look and see if I can do anything.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 12, 2011 07:15PM

I was able to make an accelerator key set which will show you the cache values. Use EDIT - CONFIGURATION - ACCELERATORS to open your accelerator file and enter the following line.
CTRL ALT VK_SPACE = macros(moz_AboutCache)
Save the file. You may need to restart KM. After that pressing CTRL + ALT + spacebar will display the cache values. It is a little faster than finding the same item under the TOOLS menu.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Posted by: snuz2
Date: November 13, 2011 07:05AM

I'm not sure I understand this, when the disk cache gets full, old entries are automatically thrown out to make room for new entries. Clearing the cache should make it slower, not faster... You can also just make your disk cache bigger, ask if you don't know how...Normally, a browser always has a FULL cache so displaying it's state would be pointless.

Also, videos are not stored in Kmeleon cache because they are played by external programs or plugins. Either way, kmeleon just downloads them to your temp directory. Although they are supposed to be deleted automatically when kmeleon exits, if it crashes, they are often left in your temp directory. And they are Big files. Is your hard disk getting full from this ( not likely if your computer is newer but very easy on old system )? Do you have some kind of setup with a ramdisk ? Because that can also cause this problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2011 07:09AM by snuz2.

Date: November 13, 2011 09:37AM

Thanks James for the accelerator key - it is much quicker than going round the houses : perfect. And it's given me an idea for something else to make life easier.

@snuz2 : I should have mentioned that I do use a ramdisk for the cache as this explains the phenomena and why I want to check on its status.

Have a good weekend.

Posted by: snuz2
Date: November 13, 2011 10:36AM

Ramdisks are already built into windows since 1995 because everything written to disk is also written to RAM for quick access, so you are now keeping two copies of your cache in RAM.
Try geting rid of the ramdisk, I will be very surprised if it has been speeding up anything except the time it takes for your machine to run out of RAM and resort to disk swapping, which is what is slowing it down. Swapping is the opposite of a RAM disk where the hard disk is being used to substitute for unavailable RAM. It is very bad.

Date: November 13, 2011 05:58PM

Hi snuz and thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure that I agree with everything you say (though that doesn't mean I'm right either).

KM builds two caches : a memory cache device and a disk cache device, however they do not stock entirely the same data. In my case the disk cache is held on a ramdisk and I can say that I have noticed speedier loading when using it and not a HDD disk cache - but I may be wrong ...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.