Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Adblock Plus Version 2.6.7 for 75b3
Posted by: panzer
Date: October 25, 2016 08:07AM

If you have a version ABP2.6.11_km75.1 of Adblock installed, then you have to delete a AdBlockPlus7.kmm file first, as it doesn't have the same name as AdBlockPlus76.kmm from this version. Then unzip the file.

Otherwise, the file wont get overwritten and Adblock wont work anymore (tolbar icon is gone).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2016 08:08AM by panzer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rodocop
Date: October 25, 2016 04:44PM

thank you, panzer, for this remark.

Yes, I decide to rename kmm-file to differ it from the kmm for v.75

Date: October 31, 2017 03:56PM

Just publishing a little update (made some time ago)

ABP 2.8.2 for KM 76 (already preinstalled in KM 76 Pro)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2017 03:57PM by rodocop.

Posted by: Niceeight
Date: December 09, 2017 02:47PM

rodocop

Hello. I use KM76 Pro and when I click on filter preferences with right click on adblock icon I receive this error:

XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Line Number 25, Column 1:

<dialog
^

I tried use ABP2.6.7. but there is similar error. Do you know something about it?
Thanks in advance.

Date: December 09, 2017 10:54PM

What is language used?

P.S. This error usually occurs when locale files do not correspond with content (XUL) files.

But I have no glue how could you fall into such a conflict using packaged xpi-extension...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2017 11:58PM by rodocop.

Posted by: Niceeight
Date: December 10, 2017 03:58PM

Yes, true. I try change the language and work it.
I try translate K-Meleon in italian ( I think this is the problem for adblock) but I will open a new post because I need the help. If you can pass by ...
See you.

Posted by: callahan
Date: December 29, 2017 09:59AM

rodocop - I have a question ... or two, probably more with your post from 31 Oct.

Date: October 31, 2017 10:56PM

-------------------------------

I downloaded your version to add to the KM 76 version by roytam1. Everything seems to have installed OK. However, I don't think or know if ABP is really working. First of all, when is it turned on? In the top toolbar I see the little ABP icon or tab ... which is gray (no color) but turns red when I put the cursor on it or press on the ABP button.

It stays red ... ABP should now be active or working, am I correct? If so, I do not notice any changes when I go to various web pages ... with the ABP on or off.

I found some test pages in Google but nothing changes either way.

Am I missing another step or something? Thanks for your help. This is the 'light version' that you made for your KM76 Pro version, if I understand this correctly?

It should work OK in the version by roytam1 ???

ABP test pages:

https://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=how+to+test+adblock&btnG=Google+Search&gbv=2

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 10:03AM by callahan.

Date: December 29, 2017 11:43AM

After doing the same I definitely SEE the difference with ABP and without it.

But remember that default 'light sub' cannot block all the ads.

Date: December 29, 2017 02:29PM

Well I still see no difference anywhere. What version are you using ... your own KM76 Pro or the newer roytami version?

I have nothing showing up in 'about:addons'.

Is Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.50.5 necessary for this to work? I can't get it to fully activate ... is says 'Ask to Activate' ... 'Always Activate' is greyed out.

Give me a good working link to one of the test pages that you said do work with ASP. I tried many test pages and nothing looks different.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2017 02:33PM by callahan.

Posted by: siria
Date: December 29, 2017 02:50PM

callahan
I have nothing showing up in 'about:addons'

If an XPI-ADDON doesn't show up there, then it is NOT installed.

My guess: you've only installed the additional KM-macro, which creates a menu and button?
But the function itself must be executed by the addon.
(didn't check: does the macro contain a check if the extension is enabled? Does KM automatically delete extension prefs if they are not found anymore, but the "true" pref was contained in prefs.js??)

Edit much later:
Oops, meanwhile investigated that addon-stuff myself a bit closer and realized:
Whether an addon shows up an "about:addons" or not means nothing at all!
The visiblity only depends on the folder where the xpi is placed:
invisible hidden addons simply are in KM/extensions folder!
Originally this folder is meant for addons which are part of the native app, out-of-box already, therefore hidden. The prob is that in KM user-installed addons can very easily land there too, unintentionally, since the traditional way for KM to install extensions is by unzipping a prepared package into the root folder.
So it all depends on the people who create that package, into which subfolder they put the xpi.
This method is just meant for easier installation. Additionally addons in this KM/extensions folder work automatically and are much less picky about compatibility.

A second possible subfolder is KM/browser/extensions. Addons which are manually placed there, will show up on about:addons, but are disabled by default. Users must discover them there and switch on first. Another prob: addons in that folder have no Remove button.

The third and "normal" way, as used from other browsers:
the user installs the xpi-file by opening about:addons, and then opens the xpi there.
For example by dragging via file explorer a locally dowloaded xpi-file into the page, or by clicking the menu button in right upper corner to find and open the file from his disk, or hitting CTRL+O to open it etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2019 01:45PM by siria.

Date: January 05, 2018 11:39PM

callahan
Well I still see no difference anywhere. What version are you using ... your own KM76 Pro or the newer roytami version?

I have nothing showing up in 'about:addons'.

Is Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.50.5 necessary for this to work? I can't get it to fully activate ... is says 'Ask to Activate' ... 'Always Activate' is greyed out.

Give me a good working link to one of the test pages that you said do work with ASP. I tried many test pages and nothing looks different.

1) How did you manage with adding ABP? I've unpacked the archive given here in thread in brand new KM-Goanna - and got working ABP on all your test pages and my ones!
Surely, it should be present in about:addons after adding and KM restart.

2) set the pref extensions.blocklist.enabled to false to get your plugins working in 'Always activate' mode

Posted by: Raymeleon
Date: May 05, 2018 10:44PM

foliator
@rodocop:

I have Adblock Plus 2.6.7 running successfully in the release version of KM 75. There is one thing I'm not clear about, however: I have "Count filter hits" enabled. In the past I've used ABP in Firefox, and the hit numbers appeared on the toolbar beneath the ABP button. This is not the case in KM, perhaps not even possible, so where can one see these counts?

By the way, I stopped using ABP in Firefox because it made the browser very slow to launch. In KM this doesn't happen at all; the launch time is just as fast.
I'm testing this macro with Adblock Latitude on KM Goanna and I'm wondering the same thing.

Would it be possible to view the "Count filter hits" feature from ABP? This is quite handy when writing custom filter lists.

Date: June 07, 2018 10:36PM

In KM (any version) you can see hit counting only through openings "Filters and subscriptions settings".

Date: June 08, 2018 07:23AM

I just noticed today that I did not post a reply to your reply and question from January 05, 2018. I usually don't do that or try not to. I must have missed your reply in some way.

Thinking back, I think I must have decided to not use Adblock Plus at that time. I don't have it currently set up and working.

I may give the whole thing a new try again in the near future and be back with some questions. Just a little busy in June for now.

callahan

Posted by: pejayuk
Date: July 11, 2018 12:06AM

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but have been using K-Meleon for several years. I would really appreciate some help in getting Adblock Plus working again.

I have just unistalled KM 75.1 and am using KM 76RC. I have extracted ABP 2.8.2 into the KM main folder but nothing has happened. Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks.

Date: July 19, 2018 07:27PM

What package of 2.8.2 have you used?

This one should just work after KM restart.

Date: July 20, 2018 02:04PM

Thanks for reply. I'm not sure which package of 2.8.2 I have. I got it from a link you posted on this thread (31 October 2017).

I have had partial success with moving all the individual files I had unzipped from the 2.8.2 download into the corresponding folders where I have placed KM76. (C:\k-Meleon76).

I'm not sure if I have done this correctly or if ABP is working as it should. If I have used the wrong version I will start again. I am using XP SP3.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2018 02:21PM by pejayuk.

Posted by: hermes
Date: July 20, 2018 10:29PM

@pejayuk

On XP SP2/SP3 possible to highly recommend KM Goanna (many mistakes have been corrected, there were less crashes). KM 75.x, unfortunately, objectively is today the good, but old version.
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,143253,146706#msg-146706
And in the context of Goanna, it is possible to recommend ABPrime:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,146713,146731#msg-146731
and
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,146713,146713#msg-146713

Date: July 21, 2018 01:43PM

Thanks for your recommendation Hermes. I am slightly confused as I don't understand much of the terminology used in these forums.

I was having the problem installing Adblock after I upgraded from KM 75.1 to 76 RC2. Is the Goanna version you're talking about a different/better version than the 76 RC2?

Posted by: hermes
Date: July 22, 2018 12:45AM

@pejayuk

As told a roytam1 earlier: (for Goanna)

...actual codebase is 38ESR with various fixes from 38~57...

I.e. 76RC2 it is pure Gecko 38 ESR, and Goanna is modified engine, partially pritenduyeshchy on compatibility with Gecko ~52.

Posted by: luk3Z
Date: August 10, 2018 06:13PM

pejayuk
Thanks for your recommendation Hermes. I am slightly confused as I don't understand much of the terminology used in these forums.

I was having the problem installing Adblock after I upgraded from KM 75.1 to 76 RC2. Is the Goanna version you're talking about a different/better version than the 76 RC2?

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,141979

Example 2:
I want to install Adblock Plus for K-Meleon 76.
All I need is:
- macro on this page: http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext1.htm
but links are broken and didn't updated FFS! ...but fortunately we have macro in this topic (thanks to rodocop): http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,132173,page=3 last post Attachments: ABP2.7.3_km76.7z (464.3 Kcool smiley - don't use K-Meleon Extensions Manager to instal this ABP2.7.3_km76.7z because icon on toolbar won't show up - in this case you have to extract archive to KM dir
- now we have working ABP 2.7.3
- let's update Adblock to latest compatibile version 2.8.2:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/versions/
just move adblock_plus-2.8.2-an+fx+sm+tb.xpi in the new tab with typed address about:addons

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?10,150634
K-Meleon Quick Reference:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/docs.php
Basilisk/KM/SM xpi converter:
https://www.addonconverter.fotokraina.com/
Best regards.

Posted by: RJJIII
Date: January 19, 2022 09:25AM

hermes
@pejayuk

On XP SP2/SP3 possible to highly recommend KM Goanna (many mistakes have been corrected, there were fewer crashes). KM 75.x, unfortunately, objectively is today the good, but old version.
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,143253,146706#msg-146706
And in the context of Goanna, it is possible to recommend ABPrime:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,146713,146731#msg-146731
and
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,146713,146713#msg-146713
Sorry to bump an old thread.

All the ad blockers are confusing me. These 2 seem the same.

AdBlocker Plus and AdBlocker Prime both seem to work about the same in the latest release of K-Meleon (76.4.5.G). Both have similar icons and seem to have similar performances. Both show up in my about:addons as disabled. Both have a preferences or settings page that appears blank.

(Also, is the CSS adblocker (the one in the privacy bar) obsolete? I've tried a few different blocking stylesheets, but they seem to have minimal effect. The CSS blocker will render some banner and full-page ads blank, but most of the annoying ads get past it. Is there a CSS style sheet out there somewhere that works well? Or is this just no longer viable?)

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: January 19, 2022 06:12PM

RJJIII
(Also, is the CSS adblocker (the one in the privacy bar) obsolete? I've tried a few different blocking stylesheets, but they seem to have minimal effect. The CSS blocker will render some banner and full-page ads blank, but most of the annoying ads get past it. Is there a CSS style sheet out there somewhere that works well? Or is this just no longer viable?)

The CSS adblocker (Tools > Privacy > Block Advertisement) is, as userContent.css, to change how the content is displayed on a site, but can be switched on/off dynamically.

As so, it doesn't block, but hide ads and, if used as so, change site design.

Any stylesheet would be obsolete the same way that advertising techniques change from time to time. Long ago, hiding some iframes, images, etc was easy as all had the same pattern but, in the end, is in the hand of the users to setup CSS rules to hide content by editing "profile > chrome > adblock.css". It is almost impossible to have a bunch of rules valid for any site.

Personally, I mostly use it to change site designs on the fly, without restarting K-meleon, as userContent.css requires, and barely to hide ads. I have a "global" rule set for ads that I don't remember the last time I changed it, as, if I do, I do site per site with their own rules, because the global, as you find, may become useless.

Sorry the off-topic, but I can't tell anything about AdBlock as I didn't use either one.

Date: January 21, 2022 04:25AM

JohnHell
RJJIII
[ . . . ]

The CSS adblocker (Tools > Privacy > Block Advertisement) is, as userContent.css, to change how the content is displayed on a site, but can be switched on/off dynamically.

As so, it doesn't block, but hide ads and, if used as so, change site design.

Any stylesheet would be obsolete the same way that advertising techniques change from time to time. Long ago, hiding some iframes, images, etc was easy as all had the same pattern but, in the end, is in the hand of the users to setup CSS rules to hide content by editing "profile > chrome > adblock.css". It is almost impossible to have a bunch of rules valid for any site.

Personally, I mostly use it to change site designs on the fly, without restarting K-meleon, as userContent.css requires, and barely to hide ads. I have a "global" rule set for ads that I don't remember the last time I changed it, as, if I do, I do site per site with their own rules, because the global, as you find, may become useless.

Sorry the off-topic, but I can't tell anything about AdBlock as I didn't use either one.
That's not that off-topic. Now I have a better idea of why there is still a separate CSS ad blocker.

I found some more recent CSS-blocking style sheets (http://floppymoose.com/). Like you said though, the ad techniques are constantly evolving. I looked at one Facebook ad that was like an html puzzle box with random elements inside of random elements and even words broken up with inline elements. That has to be some kind of 100 generations deep strategy to evade ablockers.

I get what you're saying though about specifics. If Wikipedia or Reddit have a big native ad that will slip by an Ad Blocker, a CSS page can target it specifically.

I also like the idea of using it for any CSS, not just ads.

Anyways I think I'm almost figuring out my own problem anyway. If anyone else gets confused by this: AdBlock Prime is a fork of AdBlock Plus for Goanna-based Pale Moon. AdBlock Prime and AdBlock Plus can use the same "Profiles.ini" text file to block certain targets. K-Meleon's built-in adblock.dll was designed by Dorian ( http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,135175,page=1 ) to use Adblock Plus rules. So it can also use that same text file when it's renamed to adblock.txt and dropped into a root profile folder. If all 3 blockers use the same blocking reference, they give similar results. This is why they looked like they were doing the same thing. I think that both ADP extensions update themselves, but I'm not 100% sure. The built-in ad blocker can update itself but its default method of doing so creates a giant set of rules (80KB ABP vs 5000KB for built-in) which slows the browser down. The built-in ad blocker seems the most reliable. Right now its rules have to be manually updated though.

Date: August 08, 2022 07:15PM

RJJIII
AdBlocker Plus and AdBlocker Prime both seem to work about the same in the latest release of K-Meleon (76.4.5.G). Both have similar icons and seem to have similar performances. Both show up in my about:addons as disabled. Both have a preferences or settings page that appears blank.

Very strange.

I've downloaded fresh KMG build and unpack it.
Downloaded ABP 2.8.2 by my own link above - and unpack it in KM folder.

I run KM (not activating KM adblock kplugin, but this doesn't really matter) - and have got ABP button on toolbar, it's working, Preferences are populated with basic filters, and ABP itself works, also showed in about:addons as active

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2022 07:17PM by rodocop.

Date: August 09, 2022 06:32AM

That's the expected behavior and I think it will work that way on any fresh installation of KM.

The issue I ran into before (I think) came from trying multiple ad-blocking solutions. Different AdBlock Plus versions, ABPrime, AdBlock Latitude, and other extensions can be installed at the same time but will try to use the same assets. So if you install one old extension that doesn't work, it will break the newer extension as well. If anybody else runs into the issue that I had, try completely removing every adblock .xpi file in both extensions folders, then re-install the extension.

And yes, you're correct about the kplugin. It doesn't affect AdBlock Plus.

Edit: I tested this again recently in case anybody runs into this issue. Rodocop's package works if it's the only adblock plus family extension. If there are multiple adblock extensions, there will be some errors until the other adblock extensions are disabled. It doesn't seem necessary to uninstall the extension, just disable it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2022 04:24AM by RJJIII.

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.