Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
Extension Manager for K-Meleon 74
Posted by: Larkspur
Date: May 31, 2015 06:04PM

Hi all,

A year ago I tried out K-Meleon 74 but had to go back to 1.6 because I could not live without Adblock Plus and at that time there was no version available that would work with 74.

I've just downloaded a file (adblockplusMOD-km74.7z) which appears to be a version of Adblock that will work with 74.

However I have a new problem. I also downloaded the Extensions Manager for 74 (kemNT-7.4.zip) and extracted its contents into the K-Meleon 74 directory. However after doing so and closing and reopening the browser, the Extensions Manager does not appear in the Tools menu, so I do not know how to install the Adblock Plus extension.

I love K-Meleon and have been using it faithfully for the last two years. But I have to confess that I am disappointed at the lack of support for extensions for the latest versions. The extensions I cannot live without are Adblock Plus, Autoclipcopy, cookie culler and the one that opens a page opened in K-Meleon directly into Firefox. Where oh where are those much needed souls who will update these extensions for the newer versions of K-Meleon?? Otherwise I shall be forced to keep switching back and forth between versions.

While I'm at it, I suppose there is no way to have more than one version open at the same time?

But my primary question is, how do I install the Extensions Manager into 74 and use it to install the new update for Adblock Plus?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Larkspur

P.S.: After posting this message I did a Google search on the topic and it took me back to the K-Meleon Extensions Central page where I read,

"IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR INSTALLING EXTENSIONS IN K-MELEON/74:

To be able to install and run extensions, you must edit the file
chrome.manifest
located in the K-Meleon root folder

append this line:
manifest extensions/extensions.manifest"

I did as directed but still do not know what to do next. I'm used to seeing the Extensions Manager show up under the Tools menu, which it still does not. So how do I install the desired extensions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2015 06:34PM by Larkspur.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Extension Manager for K-Meleon 74
Posted by: siria
Date: May 31, 2015 06:40PM

Sorry can't resist: your mind still works too firefoxish ;-)
Thinking that without a manager tool extensions couldn't be installed, and assuming that every extension would need updates for new KM versions. A few do, simple macros not. And the ironic thing is that you're posting this just after George has again updated tons of "FF addons" in the forum here grinning smiley
That said you're right that KM needs a bit more support than others, but that's what the forum is here for smiling smiley

First a tip: KM74 is outdated (as the download page too ;-), the new KM75 is 99% finished and works better with macros and especially with adapted FF addons. Would recommand to try:
http://kmeleon.sf.net/files/K-Meleon75.7z

Of course you can run several KM-versions at once. Just not use the same profile at once. To start a parallel session, modify the start shortcut and append "-new":
....programs...k-meleon.exe -new
Configure KM to ask at startup which profile to use:
Edit > Manage Profiles > Ask at startup

AdblockPlus has been updated for KM75 some months ago already:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,132173
Installation description is there too, IIRC just unzipping, like macros.
The latest version is at the bottom, posted by rodocop.

For opening the current page in Firefox that's just a simple link. A macro for that shouldn't have probs with new KM versions?

Cookie culler - not sure, but vaguely remember it was mentioned in the forum too somehwere...

Options: ReplyQuote

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.