Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Basic adblock
Posted by: hermes
Date: February 24, 2018 10:40PM

@rodocop

In fact, I've made a toolbox for working with adblock lists for a long time. For automatic filtering of lists. The only nuance for an inexperienced user, it can be uncomfortable. However, you can instantly compare lists up to 1 GB (on x86) and up to 1.5 GB (on x64 workstations or x86 server systems).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2018 10:47PM by hermes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rodocop
Date: February 25, 2018 03:10AM

WOW!

Posted by: Raymeleon
Date: May 05, 2018 04:59PM

Testing basic adblock on Goanna.

There are problems detecting rules of type, $webrtc.

For example, this rule:

$webrtc,domain=ghacks.net

If you go to ghacks.net, it will block all CSS requests.

roytam1, can you look into this?

Posted by: Slickone2
Date: February 14, 2019 06:07PM

Has anyone else been using this adblock with the Goanna version? I need to install it if it works correctly.

And does one of the macros that JamesD created, also in this thread, work with the Goanna version? And which one?

Posted by: siria
Date: February 17, 2019 01:29AM

Slickone2
Has anyone else been using this adblock with the Goanna version? I need to install it if it works correctly.

And does one of the macros that JamesD created, also in this thread, work with the Goanna version? And which one?

No expert around, sigh...
And I'm not using it myself due to old system, so the whole thing is over my head. Only know that the dll has been included out-of-box since a few years, and is still contained in K-Goanna too.
But of course, it doesn't make much sense without ANY user interface, without the macro you mentioned! Too bad that Dorian has vanished again sad smiley

Anyway, just try it yourself, and if there are probs just disable it again.
For the menu macro I've attached below a little macro update, version 2.8
It's been about a year that I tried to figure out how that plugin works, and meanwhile all forgotten again, but at the time had noticed a little glitch with the toolbar button. The icon pic kept vanishing after restarts, this should be fixed in v2.8

If anyone needs a little helper macro to easier hide single images or such, take a look here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,145345

But it's very frustrating that the plugin is so extremely GUI-hostile that not even macros can do much sad smiley
Especially needing restarts for every little change.
siria, a year ago
Roytam, Dorian: any chance that adblock.dll could get 2 commands that can be called by macro? 1) To download fresh lists from the web and 2) to import the current disk list again in the middle of a session, because I have a little macro that adds more rules to it? (posted awhile ago, mainly for $ImageURL, but user can crop path shorter or edit more if he knows syntax)

PS: there are also some alternative Adblock-xpi-addons which they say are working. Several quite detailed threads here in the forum. For example ABPrime (ABP-version for Goanna, very limited GUI as for ABP too), or SilentBlock (regex), or BluHell, perhaps also uBlock (but NOT uMatrix)

Attachments: adblockcontrol28.7z (9.8 KB)  
Posted by: hermes
Date: February 17, 2019 08:03PM

@Slickone2

The module in main Goanna set is completely workable (used every day).

For work of plug-in any macro is not required. The macro is necessary for logs and expeditious inclusion / switching off on the fly (and even it is not an indispensable condition).

adblock.txt has to be placed in profile folder. Actually, this same patterns.ini (for AdblockPlus /
ABPrime, as example). Possible copy and rename patterns.ini into adblock.txt and to copy in a root of profile. At existence of a macro, inclusion of kmeleon.plugins.adblock.logging will create log file near with adblock.txt.

Support of blocking rules is found at level AdBlockPlus v2-2.7 (without ## rules).
It is not recommended to copy blindly subscriptions, copy only necessary rules.

At reasonable and filtered set of rules module is extremely effective. However for effective use,
it is required to understand work of rules and feature of KM (for example, there is no webrtc smiling smiley).
Then it is possible to avoid many problems.

At unreasonable use (for example, an overload a useless excess set of rules) module will cause braking since will analyze each inquiry according to all list, but it is a problem not so much of module how many its misuse by user.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2019 08:21PM by hermes.

Posted by: Slickone
Date: November 12, 2019 12:05AM

hermes
@Slickone2

The module in main Goanna set is completely workable (used every day).

For work of plug-in any macro is not required. The macro is necessary for logs and expeditious inclusion / switching off on the fly (and even it is not an indispensable condition).

adblock.txt has to be placed in profile folder. Actually, this same patterns.ini (for AdblockPlus /
ABPrime, as example). Possible copy and rename patterns.ini into adblock.txt and to copy in a root of profile. At existence of a macro, inclusion of kmeleon.plugins.adblock.logging will create log file near with adblock.txt.

It's been awhile since this post but I ended up sticking with KM Gecko for awhile since I didn't know any any real advantage that KM Goanna offered me at the time, and the adblock wasn't any better (I don't think I knew about ABPrime then), and I didn't have time to keep researching the adblock and install it on a new version, so I just kept using KM Gecko. I was hoping the adblock would have matured some by now but it doesn't seem to have. But since that post, I've come across more and more sites that just won't work with KM Gecko anymore, so I'm trying KM Goanna.

Apart from some sites not working at all with KM Gecko, many just don't work with this basic adblock enabled, and do once it's disabled, so since I have to disable it often, a control is invaluable.

Can someone that uses subscriptions tell me if ABPrime would be more site-compatible than the basic adblock? And since it seems to come with an interface, it wouldn't require me having to re-learn how to/install the macro control any time I need to install a new browser.

It's a little odd that KM (at least KM Goanna) comes with adblock.dll in the kplugins folder, but then has to be placed in the profile folder if you want to use it, and that it comes with an adblockplus folder, yet that's not enabled either. If KM is already including these, why doesn't it already have adblock in the correct place, and with a simple control for it? It could easily be disabled if users don't want it.

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.