Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
how to install flashblock
Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 01, 2010 07:50PM

Need to remember how to install flashblock.

Any help much appreciated.

Tks.

N

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to install flashblock
Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 01, 2010 08:54PM

Edit - preferences - page display - content filters

Date: October 01, 2010 08:57PM

JamesD
Edit - preferences - page display - content filters

JamesD,

Thanks... let me ask more. Is there not a flashblock jar and manifest file in addition to a flashblock.kmm file somewhere. I do recall why back when that you had to also manually edit the css file.

N

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 01, 2010 09:06PM

There is a flashblock.jar file. It is in root/chrome. I think it comes with KM.

One time, and I don't remember the version, there was a problem with it, and some way was given to fix the problem.

I found the replacement Jar file. I cannot attach here because it is 1,637kb. It is not flashblock jar which is replaced, it is embed.jar.

You do have flash installed already? Mine reads like this:
Shockwave Flash

File name: NPSWF32.dll
    Shockwave Flash 10.1 r85

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2010 09:14PM by JamesD.

Date: October 02, 2010 12:24AM

JamesD
There is a flashblock.jar file. It is in root/chrome. I think it comes with KM.

One time, and I don't remember the version, there was a problem with it, and some way was given to fix the problem.

I found the replacement Jar file. I cannot attach here because it is 1,637kb. It is not flashblock jar which is replaced, it is embed.jar.

You do have flash installed already? Mine reads like this:
Shockwave Flash

File name: NPSWF32.dll
    Shockwave Flash 10.1 r85

James,

That will teach me... I have my older K-meleon file, which is a combination of new and old stuff. It has flashblock.jar and the other files I mentioned. I have run Desga2's updates over time, but never a new install from KM's download site at SourceForge. So I just did that and it had embed.jar, not flashblock.jar in it. So I need to copy over my other files and remove the outdated flashblock files.

Progress!!! <much thanks>

I too have v.10.1.85.3

P.S. Again much thanks. Just tested by going into chrome and zipping up flashblock.jar and flashblock.manifest and then deleted them there. Also went into macros and zipped than deleted flashblock.kmm... Doing that, however, deleted the little toggle icon for flashblock from KM's toolbar. So I put it back into macros.

Right now all I have deleted are the chrome files.

Never knew that I had duplicate files to do flashblock.

SIGH

P.P.S.

In addition I found a flashblock.js file here:

C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\defaults\pref

Left that alone too.

So, all in all, I think I probably have a messed up combination of files from the older flashblock.jar and the new embed.jar installs.

Anybody care to jump in and say exactly what files I should have in KM 1.5.4 and which I should dump?

Tks.

<weak grin>

N

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2010 02:31PM by ndebord.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 02, 2010 06:07PM

K-Meleon's default chrome files are embed, en-US ( English-UnitedStates or another language file e.g. de-DE = German-Germany / de-AT = German-Austria fictive to show the system) and newsfox (a default extension which contains code and language files).

Each item consists of 2 files: The jar plus its corresponding manifest.

The jar file is a zipped XUL folder containing files (can be unzipped and inspected).

The manifest file contains an inventory that tells K-Meleon what is inside the jar.
You too can easily find/look where flashblock is inside embed.jar. Manifests are human readible smiling smiley

content	flashblock  jar:embed.jar!/flashblock/content/flashblock/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2010 06:14PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 20, 2010 11:41PM

:cool:

Quote from the PrivacyTutorial in the wiki:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/PrivacyTutorial

Disabling Flash, Java, and JavaScript

5. To disable flash, you can install flashblock:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/FlashBlock

6. To disable Java and Javascript, go to Edit > Preferences > General and uncheck Enable Java and Enable JavaScript.

How to get a flashblocker, acc. to wiki:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/FlashBlock

Pick one of these files:

* Flashblock with border around replacing element
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/?binary=internal%3A%2F%2Fbaf7d710ef60a5b5d5be5fb0b7f5eb27.zip
* Flashblock without border around replacing element
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/?binary=internal%3A%2F%2F262abadcb153799ebba460a4a5e10dbc.zip

Choosing is only a matter of taste. Both configurations work the same.
Then proceed to install as follows:

* KM menu: Edit/Preferences/Settings go to the tab userContent.css and add these lines at the bottom:

object:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000?,
objectswflash.cab?
{ -moz-binding: url("chrome://flashblock/content/flash.xml#obj?"); }

* Extract the downloaded file to K-Meleon chrome directory (in KM's main directory).
* Make a backup copy of the file named installed-chrome.txt
* Edit installed-chrome.txt and add the following line:

content,install,url,jar:resource:/chrome/flashblock.jar!/content/flashblock/

* Important notice: if you've chosen the second file (flashblock-noborders.jar), rename it flashblock.jar or change the line above to work with the longer name.
* At this stage K-Meleon should be closed.
* Delete chrome.rdf
* Restart KM

Well, sounds slightly complicated to me, and perhaps yet more to new users trying to figure out if KM is a browser that can block flash and how... :cool:

Something I wonder: The flashblocker included out-of-the-box in KM needs javascript to function.
Perhaps one or both of those extra-install flashblockers can work without it??

Posted by: disrupted
Date: October 21, 2010 07:56AM

it's the same flashblock embedded now in the kmeleon jar. this page is for km 0.8 because flashblock wasn't included and had to be installed manually. 0.9 and 1.0 included flashblock by default but as separate jar using that same method described on the wiki page.

js is required to disable flash while allowing active toggle without the need to reload the page or enabling all flash content on that page. js is how flashblock detects flash embeds and then what controls selective activation of some flash and leaving other disabled if the page contains several flashes.

you're using a gecko browser
http://blog.istvan-antal.ro/2010/10/disabled-javascript-myths/
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/scripting/jstips.aspx
http://adblockplus.org/blog/usability-vs-security
http://dedoimedo.com/computers/noscript-use.html

js insecurity is overhyped.. very soon most websites will not offer non-js support=completely crippled without js..so, anyway it's a personal choice but don;t think it's justified

Posted by: disrupted
Date: October 21, 2010 08:41AM

http://dokimos.org/ajff/
if disabling js doesn't protect you from this then there's no point :p
(behold, i am now blind)

Date: October 21, 2010 02:14PM

siria

Well, sounds slightly complicated to me, and perhaps yet more to new users trying to figure out if KM is a browser that can block flash and how... :cool:

Its was not complicated when all the files were present and You could peek into them and compare. A step by step description/recipe. A find the file or code line and do exactly what is described. Now without the files it sounds hard.

BTW. I was a new user when that was written. It was a steep learning curve but possible. Like all rookies, I followed those old recipes to the letter, keeping backups. When I made a mistake - I had to try again. grinning smiley

Date: November 15, 2010 02:26AM

guenter
siria

Its was not complicated when all the files were present and You could peek into them and compare. A step by step description/recipe. A find the file or code line and do exactly what is described. Now without the files it sounds hard.

BTW. I was a new user when that was written. It was a steep learning curve but possible. Like all rookies, I followed those old recipes to the letter, keeping backups. When I made a mistake - I had to try again. grinning smiley

Guenter,

Just installed KM 1.6 beta and the first problem (of course!) is flashblock.

Lost that little icon that you can have in KM 1.5.4 and the drop down dialog box with options.

Any ideas much appreciated.

N

Date: November 15, 2010 12:39PM

Sorry no idea, report it as bug - since the beta is an official version now. smiling smiley

Date: November 15, 2010 02:39PM

guenter
Sorry no idea, report it as bug - since the beta is an official version now. smiling smiley

guenter,

Yes, I will, but would like Desga2 to first start an official thread in one of the forums, aside from Announcements. <g>

N

Posted by: desga2
Date: November 15, 2010 10:04PM

ndebord

Lost that little icon that you can have in KM 1.5.4 and the drop down dialog box with options.

I think you had some Flashblock extension, can you explain what options are you lost, some screen shot?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: jsnj
Date: November 16, 2010 12:10AM

ndebord

You used Desga2's flashblock extension for KM 1.5.x which included that button. You can see the flashblock options in KMv1.6b from the Privacy-Permissions menu and from the page context menu. Try this attachment. It includes a button with a right-click menu with both of the options. Extract to your K-Meleon directory.

Attachments: FlashblockButton.zip (2.2 KB)  
Date: November 16, 2010 05:02AM

jsnj
ndebord

You used Desga2's flashblock extension for KM 1.5.x which included that button. You can see the flashblock options in KMv1.6b from the Privacy-Permissions menu and from the page context menu. Try this attachment. It includes a button with a right-click menu with both of the options. Extract to your K-Meleon directory.

jsnj,

Perfect, very much appreciated. Thought I had mucked it up somehow. Good to know that this little icon is there once again...

P.S. Ah, not quite perfect, but perhaps that is because of the difference between the design of flashblock in KM 1.5.4 and KM 1.6beta. In the former, the icon gives you a toggle between always loaded Flash and never loaded (meaning you have to click on the little placeholder to run a flash animation). This new version takes you to a whitelist where you have to tell flash it is ok to automatically run).

Personally, I liked the older method. <VBG>

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 03:29PM by ndebord.

Posted by: jabberwocky
Date: October 15, 2012 07:25PM

disrupted
js is required to disable flash while allowing active toggle without the need to reload the page or enabling all flash content on that page. [...]

js insecurity is overhyped.. very soon most websites will not offer non-js support=completely crippled without js..so, anyway it's a personal choice but don;t think it's justified

Well, I think it's a big security fault, if flash gets enabled, when you disable javascript. All those using tor or a proxy are terrible f*cked. You can disable flash by applying the following to yóur userContent.css:
/* --------------------------------------------*/
/*
* Block Flash
*/

embed[type*="application/x-shockwave-flash"],
embed[src*=".swf"],
object[type*="application/x-shockwave-flash"],
object[codetype*="application/x-shockwave-flash"],
object[src*=".swf"],
object[codebase*="swflash.cab"],
object[classid*="D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"],
object[classid*="d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"],