Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
K-Meleon plugin
Posted by: Leo
Date: October 05, 2015 04:03PM

I would like to install a plugin, precisely, Domain Blocker. How can I do it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon plugin
Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 05, 2015 05:41PM

I think that depends on the type of plugin. If it is a standalone plugin compatible with FF, then perhaps all you need to do is add the dll file to root\browser\plugins.

If, however, the plugin needs to tightly communicate with KM then the plugin must be installed in root\kplugins or profile\kplugins AND must have the correct methods for the dll to pass/receive data to kmeleon.exe.

Some additional information can be found here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/KPluginSpecs

Unfortunately, I do not know if the KPluginSpecs page is up to date.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: October 05, 2015 06:58PM

I think, Leo speaks about K-Meleon native extension Domain Blocker

Leo,
just unpack 7z-archive into your K-Meleon folder and restart KM.

The corresponding items should appear in context-menus (for page, link and image)

Date: October 06, 2015 04:11PM

I did it... but I don't see the plugin sad smiley

Date: October 06, 2015 04:57PM

OK now I see the BLOCK DOMAIN button but... it does not block domains. sad smiley

Date: October 06, 2015 05:19PM

This works through HOSTS file. Check its contents to be sure domains are really added there.

May be you don't have access rights to change this file.

Date: October 06, 2015 08:34PM

Can you tell me how can I make it work?

Date: October 06, 2015 09:47PM

I've tested the Domain Blocker and it works like it can:

it adds domain linked to HOSTS-file and after that you cannot load that domain ever.

But I see that, for example, images from such a blocked domain could still be loaded on other sites as linked objects.

I think this is what you called "Doesn't block domains". If so - then we should assume that Domain Blocker isn't the right tool for such a task.

Tell us - what is your goal of using this extension (NB! not plugin)?

If you want to block some third-party stuff on visited pages you'd better try other blocking tools like AdBlockPlus or Blockeria or KM built-in blocking capabilities.

But if all you need is exactly domain blocking itself - Domain Blocker definitely does this job. Try to browse blocked domain from address bar - and you'll see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2015 09:47PM by rodocop.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 06, 2015 10:23PM

Just a bit more basic info, the "HOSTS" file is located somewhere in the windows folder, and it's just a simple text file. To manage the added domain blocks in it, to modify or remove them again, that file must be edited manually (with notepad or whatever). If I understand it right, this "Domain Blocker" helps to make the adding easier, but it would also work to add the domains manually, via notepad.

As a possible alternative, but not sure about possibly different effects, the extension ExExceptions/ExExPermission also has an option to block domains, by using the "document" setting:

http://www.google.de/url?q=http://kb.mozillazine.org/Hostperm.1
(yeah site is outdated, but the descriptions should still be valid for permissions.sqlite too)

The bigger prob is that I have no idea how to make that addon work in KM7X :cool: Couldn't download its latest link either, so only tried to extract the ExEx files from narumans74+1. Obviously not enough.

(sig) New unofficial K-Meleon 76.4 (KMG76.4) available, in own subforum.
Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016
K-Meleon FAQ (link missing in forum sidebar)
Tips&Tricks - Learning new stuff every day
New to K-Meleon? What do you like? What not?

Date: October 06, 2015 11:35PM

siria,
I've prepared the basic package of ExExceptions.
Simply unpack as usual.

The only issue is that macro doesn't send address of page or link to ExExceptions form. Just opens it.

Some macro editing needed. Maybe you'll be able to get this function working.

But all basic menus (in Tools and in page- and link-context) are here and do work.

Attachments: exexceptions.7z (15.8 KB)  
Re: K-Meleon plugin / ExExPermissions, ExExceptions KM75
Date: October 07, 2015 12:24AM

rodocop
I've prepared the basic package of ExExceptions.
Simply unpack as usual.
The only issue is that macro doesn't send address of page or link to ExExceptions form. Just opens it.

Great thanks! I love the permissions manager smiling smiley
No time to test today anymore, just a quick look into the files:
the macro just fills a pref with the domain: "extensions.exexceptions.URL"
The job of the xpi is to read that pref and copy it into the input field.
There lies the prob.
When I compare it with narumans74+1 file, it's probably defined in exexceptions.js. His part around "onload" seems to define it, just 2 lines and a var below, but haven't done a full file compare yet.

Based on Goanna engine, called 'test' builds forever but more stable as 75.1 acc. forum members. It's 1-2 generations ahead of predecessor KM76RC-2016

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2015 05:44PM by siria.

Date: October 15, 2015 07:19PM

It works!! smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley
Of course I can only test offline, but it does open the config window fine, and it does add the URLs to permissions.sql, that's all that's needed anyway.
The only glitch is that it doesn't fill the URL-field on my Vista.
Guess that can only be fixed by someone with javascript skills :cool:
As a workaround, I've added two lines to copy the URL (that was supposed to auto-appear in ExEx) automatically into the clipboard, so only 1 step is now necessary, Ctrl+V to paste.

But no one will find it here - please consider attaching it also to it's own thread in extensions? smiling smiley
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,124407

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2015 07:22PM by siria.

Date: October 15, 2015 08:55PM

So simple - the URL was already fixed! By naruman in 74.1 grinning smiley
A quick test shows it seems to work to simply copy over his file and zip it up again to xpi:
exexcept\content\exexcept\exexcept.js

The differences in the two files are only a few lines, for "appending" and for adding the special KM-exchange-pref.

But the META-INF folder contains checksums, which probably should be updated to the new file sizes too.

Posted by: WasiFH
Date: March 13, 2023 03:04AM

Its old thread byt very much related to my issue , that is , ExeExceptions (ExPermission or so in past) extension.
The current KM Goanna cannot remove or edit a site in the permission manager ONCE it is added.
For example, if you ad a site abcxyz.com and set it to DENY JScripts or any thing, and pressed set button it be added in the pesmission.sqlite. BUT after that you cannnot remove or edit the same site again.
I have to edit this permission.sqlite in KM 7.5 to remove the site or so.

What is the problem?

Date: March 13, 2023 03:48PM

WasiFH
The current KM Goanna cannot remove or edit a site in the permission manager ONCE it is added.
For example, if you ad a site abcxyz.com and set it to DENY JScripts or any thing, and pressed set button it be added in the pesmission.sqlite. BUT after that you cannnot remove or edit the same site again.
I have to edit this permission.sqlite in KM 7.5 to remove the site or so.

Pity, but thinking about... Younger KM-versions can handle native Firefox-addons far better. That was just about impossible in the early days, und skilled devs adapted just a few important ones for KM.
Perhaps meanwhile the original "ExExceptions" addon would work, after just adding the old domain-tweak? Am just not sure where to find those addons now, and a fitting version at that...
Dimly remember an old killer prob that FF-addons cannot fetch the current KM-page (and sadly that will remain forever?), but our old KM-ExEx had got a little hack to read the domain from a pref instead. And this pref was filled by macro before opening ExEx... That tweak was a real tiny code change and could certainly be copied over again, even by yourself, just plain text, somewhere...

Over the years there were more ExEx-discussions in the forum here and there, could contain interesting information...
But perhaps yet simpler? Before fiddling with scripts, just try exchanging any SQLITE files (if contained) from a slightly younger addon version. Or other of its files... (Cannot test myself, sorry)

Another thought:
Some native Gecko settings pages also work far better now, like "about:preferences". Although if IIRC that's only for DEFAULT settings (dozens of prefs like "permissions.default.images"), but hopefully if you look around, perhaps can find some trace to more settings....
Page permissions are absolutely crucial, and this ExEx stuff is ultrasimple, all it does is editing a sqlite file, add or remove a few lines of text, all the rest is done by the engine itself. All this addon needs is getting a DOMAIN name transferred somehow, that surely must be possible.

Regarding the current prob again, old ExEx: wondering if it works at least to reset values to "-"?
That means "default", and that means this domain-line in the database gets removed. IF that works, then resetting all fields this way should make the whole domain vanish after next ExEx-start. But just a theory ;-)

EDIT: Just re-discovered it also has an Import-Export function at the bottom, for older hostperm.1 format, as plain-text list. No idea if that still works, and if that would be easier or not as workaround.

New info:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,154431,157222#msg-157222

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2023 01:37AM by siria.

Posted by: WasiFH
Date: March 15, 2023 04:58AM

Thank you Siria.
I have tried many approaches to resolve this issue but with no success. I have tried different version old and new of this extension whatever I found.
As far as I know the extension is OK and the fault is in KM Goanna BECAUSE the same version of this extension works flawlessly in KM 75 and 76 (I have all installed).
Firefox works differently than K-Meleon. KM stores in a more efficient way than Firefox does i.e., in KM, sites are stored in permission.sqlite without protocol ex. abcxyz.com (without https://). In Firefox (talking about 52 esr) sites are stored as https://abcxyz.com.
By this, KM can block, for example a site has different addresses like cdn.abc.com and medua.abc.com and js.abc.com and I want all of these to be blocked so in KM I just add abc.com and all of these will be blocked. BUT in firfox and newer browsers, all of there must be added with trailing https://. And other situations where a sub-dmain needed to be blocked but not the sister sub-domains, in that case Firefox and the newer browsers cant do it except to block the whole domain,
Roytam1 said that an API has been changed ad the extension needed to be updated? but adodupan said that it has already been updated as you mentioned the link to his post
I think you and some other experts here may be able to fix it?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.