Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
extensions for V75.1 ??
Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: December 13, 2015 02:05AM

I am changing to V75.1 as my main browser from Firefox and would love to use some extensions.
Got the updated Extension Manager to make it easy and it appears to work fine with some and not with others - but this may be my fault - hence my 1st query:

I used it to install AdBlockPlus 75 - but nothing about that appears anyplace a'tall; is this because I was not literal enough and it will not work with V75.1 ??

Aside of that - I have found no separate place listing those extensions for this version, and a bunch that would be great that are marked for older versions.
My 2nd query then is=> Which older extensions work with V75.1, please ??
(Or if better - how to tell ??)

I found mention of the bookmark importer extension and installed it - but it did not respond - so I tried to uninstall it and got a malformed INI error.

I really do need to import & merge my several sets of bookmarks into this one browser's bookmarks file.
- Is there a tool someone may recommend that may do this for me, please ??

I have more questions for certain, but I will stop here in hopes that someone may be kind enough to direct me in solving any of these things.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: extensions for V75.1 ??
Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 13, 2015 09:50AM

First of all:

if you are looking for extensions on KMext - most of them are still usable with newest KMs.

It isn't obvious to find if some extension is actual or not. But it's really easy though takes some time: you should not install neither save - but OPEN desired link by clicking it.

It should open in your archive manager (7z, zip, rar etc.). Look at the folder structure. The extension is usually fully usable unless it contains folders
chrome
components
kplugins
modules
or
defaults

First 4 mean that this is adapted FF extension and nowadays they are installed differently.
Look the Extensions subforum for more info. This thread may contain links and instructions on the installation for some of FF-derived addons.

When you see only defaults folder (from wrong ones) - just unpack extension and change defaults\pref path to browser\defaults\preferences.
Now extension should work.

About AdBlock. Use this package by manual unpacking it to your 75.1.
(NB! The original browser\omni.ja file will be ovrwritten!)

Date: December 13, 2015 09:52AM

Use KM Bookmarks Importer to merge bookmarks sets (every of them should be previously saved as html-file)

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: December 13, 2015 06:50PM

smallhagrid
I really do need to import & merge my several sets of bookmarks into this one browser's bookmarks file.
- Is there a tool someone may recommend that may do this for me, please ??

In Firefox:

Bookmarks menu > Show Bookmarks

(bookmarks window)
Import and Backup > Export bookmarks to HTML

In K-meleon:
Enable Netscape Bookmarks in preferences (if it isn't already, that should) and copy the exported bookmarks.html file to your K-meleon profile.

Re-open K-meleon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2015 06:51PM by JohnHell.

Re: extensions for V75.1 / bookmark-importer merger
Posted by: siria
Date: December 13, 2015 07:21PM

That extension is an autoit-tool, that means if it's broken due to the new KM-version, then it needs an autoit programmer to fix. No idea how to "merge" several bookmarks-files, unless copying them together as text and manipulating the "seams" afterwards, but needs knowledge.

BUT perhaps that extension is only broken due to the spelling error in the macro or the non-specific variable name? Just a slim chance, but worth trying:

Replace the kmm-file in the macros folder with the attached test-version (have it renamed, so it doesn't overwrite the original).
Please make a backup copy of your profile folder first.
Then try again...

If it doesn't help, use KM1.6 portable to import and merge your files, and then copy over that merged file into KM7X...

PS: I love "Favorites" :cool: Single tiny files for each one, that means no probs with import/export to 1 huge file, therefore rock-stable.
Perhaps a way for merging too, first open IE and import all "bookmarks.html" files, then open KM and import the IE-Favorites as bookmarks? Or alternatively just share them common with IE.

Edit:
Have attached a test2-version, that puts " " around the exe-path, but haven't tested yet. Could help if the path contains a blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2015 07:32PM by siria.

Attachments: KMBimporter_test.kmm (568 bytes)   KMBimporter_test2.kmm (576 bytes)  
Date: December 13, 2015 10:32PM

I think it's now time to present one new russian contribution to all the world.

This is a manual bookmark copier from FF and SeaMonkey to KM.
All kudos go to our comrade hermes.

Archive contains videotutorial for how-to use this addon. There are only russian description there, so I should explain the method.

After installing this into KM (just usual unpacking) you can open FF or SM, choose some bookmark or bookmark folder in their menu and Copy it using context menu.

Then open KM and press Alt+i hotkey to import. First time KM asks you to point to your current bookmarks.html.

Next time it just inserts copied folder or bookmark to your collection.

That's it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2015 10:33PM by rodocop.

Posted by: siria
Date: December 13, 2015 10:45PM

Cool, sounds great!
But pity it's going to be lost here, it sure deserves an own thread. And attach the file directly? :cool:

Attachments: FF_SMART_iMPORT.7z (392.9 KB)  
Posted by: guenter
Date: December 14, 2015 01:08PM

siria
Cool, sounds great!
But pity it's going to be lost here, it sure deserves an own thread. And attach the file directly? :cool:

I attached the archive as 7z to Your post. Do what You have in mind.

The archive contains a Russian film.

A folder called "macros" with FF_SMART_iMPORT.KMM.

A folder called "tools" with FF_SMART_iMPORT.eXe.

My guess add/copy the macro to macros folder create folder tools and put the exe there, restart K-Meleon and look for the new entry in the menus. Else alter the macro so that it creates any entry maybe in help?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2015 01:20PM by guenter.

Date: December 14, 2015 01:53PM

Excellent information - Thanks Rodocop !!

I am a little unclear on this part:

rodocop
About AdBlock. Use this package by manual unpacking it to your 75.1.
(NB! The original browser\omni.ja file will be ovrwritten!)

It seems odd to me to unpack something into any app's root folder - but that seems to behow this is done ??

Also - I do not know what omni.ja does or why it may matter if it is overwritten ??

Thanks.

Date: December 14, 2015 02:05PM

Sorry for the separate replies - there is no multi-quote function at this forum !!

Upon the subject of bookmark import & merging...

Between posting & now I remembered of a nag-free trialware that is fully functional - portable, and did this for me before when I needed to do it between several versions of FF portable.
What I liked so much about it is that it allowed my folder structures to remain intact and also helped me to create labeled sub-folders for each of the several bookmark files it imported.
The result was very neat and simple to navigate.
It is called LinkCollector, and I got it from here: http://www.portablebookmarkmanager.com/

Now I am off to look inside some extensions.

Thanks for the great help here Folks !!
(If there was a 'thank you' function here I'd have used it a bunch of times already !!!)

Date: December 14, 2015 06:05PM

smallhagrid
It seems odd to me to unpack something into any app's root folder - but that seems to behow this is done ??
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also - I do not know what omni.ja does or why it may matter if it is overwritten ??

Thanks.

1) Yes, this is how KM deals by default: all the extensions or partial upgrades are packed into archive with corresponding folder structure - to be just unpacked into KMs rootfolder.

This is exactly what KM Extensions Manager does too ;-) The only difference is that KEM also remembers what was added or replaced for easy uninstall.

2) omni.ja is the main chrome (GUI-related) part of KM (as well as Firefox) packed into archive (.ja - is just the zip-archive)
I was to add some stuff into official omni.ja in order ABP has all the functionality not limited one.
The only way to install it using "general KM upgrade convention" (the rule about unpacking described above) leads to overwriting of omni.ja. Really - this is just adding some stuff without changing other part of omni.ja.

But comrades have convinced me that I should warn users about omni.ja replacement.

I should make this compatible with KEM but this ABP extension is temporary solution anyway. So I decided to spend my time with creating new stuff and not waste it to ABP as long no real problem with updated omni.ja should happen.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.