Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
compression proxy
Posted by: slayer
Date: January 23, 2016 09:30PM

Hello people! I was wondering... is there any extension to use a compression proxy, to reduce data usage and improve speed browsing. There is one addon for ff, but I'm not sure if it can be translated to KM. Chrome also have a proxy, and Opera has Turbo.
My internet connection is really bad, and I was looking for something like this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: compression proxy
Posted by: MSlayer
Date: February 06, 2016 01:14AM

So no clue? I'm thinking in something like:skyZIP

Posted by: rodocop
Date: February 06, 2016 10:14AM

Are commercial solutions acceptable for you?

I know comparatively cheap one named MyProxy - local application which adds options like traffic compression or adfiltering and some privacy protection

Date: February 06, 2016 11:54AM

Also you can test the small app from toonel.net - and you have 4 options:

1) free old java-based app v.0.0.50.50 (attached to this post) - needs Java2SE minimal version 1.3.1 (download if you don't have Java installed; otherwise - skip it).
Cross-platform.

2) free and slightly newer classic windows app v.0.65 (get installer)
Doesn't need Java (contains necessary files inside package) but GUI is in russian only!
You don't need to change something in its settings so this shouldn't be the big problem.

free service is comparatively slow (but usable) and the compression ratio varies from 15% to 75% depending on content with general average around 35-40%.

There are options to change image compression level so you can partially manage traffic size.

3) Paid newer java-based cross-platform app Toonel v.3.8. Needs JRE 1.4 at least

4) Paid newer windows only app Toonel v.3.8. Needs .NET 2.0

You can buy 1-year access key using WebMoney (1200 WMR or ~15-16 USD) - WMID#129487991894
(Just use Google Translate to read more from that page)

Screenshots (self-explaining):

be sure you've set corresponding proxy for KM

Windows and old jar free apps alongside - web settings for outer proxy (if any) and image compression
(as you can see, it's easy to manage it even with russian GUI)

UPD.: fortunately you can manage russian version 'internationally' through web-interface - go to the address http://127.0.0.1:7999/ to get the ENG admin panel like this one:

with even more compression related options!

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2016 01:30PM by rodocop.

Attachments: toonel.jar (117.3 KB)  
Date: February 06, 2016 02:09PM

Other effective approaches to traffic minimization are:

1) content filtering (less connections are established and less data are downloaded)
2) improved caching

First could be done in different ways with a number of tools:
- filtering DNS servers (OpenDNS, FoolDNS, NortonDNS etc.) It seems to me that FoolDNS is the simpliest one with good filtering out all the scam (ads, trackes, webbugs, malwartizing);
- adblocking tools. AdBlock Plus and Privoxy are 2 of them already adapted for KM;
- fine tuned filtering on the domain-level - with ExExceptions (yes, this FF addon works with KM fine) or native Blockeria macro by siria;
- sure you can switch off JS, images and block Flash with KM in-built options;
- using mobile or touch site-versions where possible. For example m.facebook.com is way more lightweight than main version.

For second goal you can use portable local caching server HandyCache for example.

Posted by: Mslayer
Date: February 08, 2016 03:15PM

Thank you for your replies!
It is a quite complex task then. I was thinking in something like a server side thing. I was wrong for sure. I suppose that the firefox addon can't be adapted.

Date: February 08, 2016 07:45PM

I think SkyZIP can be adapted in theory bun not by me. It needs more skilled XUL and JS dev...

Posted by: MSlayer
Date: May 05, 2016 10:29PM

OK I just found this!
googleweblight
It is from google, it will show the mobile version of a page compressed by the google servers.
For example :
kmeleonbrowser.org

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.