How to install FF extensions
Posted by: zesqqigs
Date: June 16, 2016 03:32PM

Hi all

I'm a very new K-meleon user. I read here and there that this browser is able to use the FF extensions (and there's also the about:addons page) but I can't undrstand how to install them

everytime I try, I get an error message (extension not compatible with my browser). I tried to download and install from local file, but without any result.

Can someone explain me how to proceed? Thanks in advance

Re: How to install FF extensions
Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 16, 2016 04:32PM

You should have the kmeleon.install_firefox_extension pref set to true.

Check your about:config page and set (or create and set if needed) this pref to get a possibility to install addons.

But don't expect that all FF-addons (even had being installed) would work with KM. Those integrated in FF-chrome (toolbars and menus) aren't expected to work here.

Posted by: zesqqigs
Date: June 16, 2016 04:38PM

Oh, thanks smiling smiley

I will try some... this browser seems to be very powerful (if I got right, it's highly configurable through .INI editing, that is good) but understanding what is possible and how to achieve it isn't very easy

Date: June 16, 2016 04:41PM

Or just try portable K-Meleon 75.10 Pro (from my sig) - it has a number of options and prefs already set to optimal values.

Date: June 16, 2016 04:43PM

zesqqigs
I will try some... this browser seems to be very powerful (if I got right, it's highly configurable through .INI editing, that is good) but understanding what is possible and how to achieve it isn't very easy

Not .ini but other configs: .cfg, .js and macrolanguage files (macros)

Re: How to install UNsigned FF extensions
Posted by: siria
Date: August 23, 2016 11:49PM

This sounds like it could get very interesting for us too - some day in the future ;-) But also interesting for occasional FF users:

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/14/override-firefox-add-on-signing-requirement/

Mozilla implemented the add-on signing security feature in Firefox some time ago, and made it mandatory in Firefox 48 for the Stable and Beta channel.

This means that Firefox users who run Stable or Beta versions of the browser can only install signed add-ons in the browser.
Firefox Dev, Nightly and ESR users can install unsigned add-ons however after making a change in the preferences.

How to is explained in the article, it's a bit complicated but not much.

Or better, if perhaps KM could manage to avoid that sig enforcement out-of-box already??
With or without a global user pref. Although I tend to think that people who happily accept to be fully remote commanded what they may or may not customize, are rather not the typical KM userbase, but stick to the original gecko :cool:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2016 11:52PM by siria.

Re: How to install UNsigned FF extensions
Posted by: guenter
Date: August 24, 2016 07:05PM

Thank You siria nice find.

p.s. Since K-Meleon is based on ESR it can do anyway. But knowing this is valuable.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.