Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
How to install stylish for K-meleon
Posted by: Newbie
Date: December 25, 2013 03:10PM

How to install stylish for K-meleon ????

I have downloaded this file - stylish-1.4.0-an+fx+tb+sm-windows.xpi
& put it in K-Meleon folder, but nothing happened.
I want to install dark style theme , because the default theme is so bright , i dont like it...

Please, help me !!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to install stylish for K-meleon
Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 25, 2013 08:06PM

You cannot install FF extensions directly in K-Meleon.

There are old adapted version of Stylish though on the KM Extensions Central

Date: December 25, 2013 09:26PM

Ok, i have installed Kem & stylish from your links...

How to download this style (for example) -
http://userstyles.org/styles/23516/midnight-surfing-global-dark-style

I don't see neither link for download nor code for copy/paste...sad smiley

Date: December 26, 2013 07:15AM

Click on the 'Show CSS' link under the image

Date: December 26, 2013 10:15AM

It's very strange, but i cannot see the link for "use CSS" on the page....?
JavaScript is activated, but no result...
i can see it through Menu-Links , but when push the link, nothing happened

Date: December 26, 2013 10:58AM

What is your KM version? If older than 1.6 - then upgrade and retry.

Date: December 26, 2013 11:47AM

yes, i use 1.5.4 , why to upgrade to 1.6
its unofficial version...

Date: December 26, 2013 12:07PM

There are no unofficial versions now ;-)

1.5.4 has very outdated engine which is not capable to handle most of modern web.

1.6 is less outdated and is the last mature version of browser, which is beta officially but most stable de-facto.

Try on of the portable builds from my sig to see the difference. 1.5.4 cannot be recommended unless you are using Win98.

Date: December 26, 2013 01:00PM

Rodocop , just now i have ruined all my installation of K-meleon following your "wise" tips..

I removed ver. 1.5.4 , installed 1.6.0 and guess what -
Stylish cannot be installed, you wise guy...

I know it, this is fvcking version, why do u tout it to me... full shit version sad smiley

YOUR STYLISH DONT WANT TO INSTALL ONTO GREAT 1.6 VERSION.......................................................

Posted by: siria
Date: December 26, 2013 06:50PM

The "wise" guy here isn't rodocop but you. Wise and awfully "nice" to be around, congrats to your parents.

In fact the official page has not been updated in years and therefore misleads new users today, but rodocop is absolutely right. No K-Meleon user with a bit clue uses stone-age version 1.5.4 anymore. Way too many modern websites don't work with it anymore. Simply due to old age KM154 has meanwhile turned into the version with the most display bugs on todays web! And the beta versions on the official download page are history too, too old, there are newer versions with less bugs available in the forum.

The best newbie choice today is probably the improved 1.6beta2.6 by JamesD or another updated version, e.g. from rodocops sig line. They do work quite well, perhaps not perfect yet, but well enough for daily use and sure have far less display bugs as the really old official versions.
Some people also use a forum version of KM1.7alpha, if I recall right that had better display but more internal bugs, it depends on ones needs. But all those newer 1.6+1.7 versions in the forum are far better on todays web than the old official versions. Although meanwhile ALL versions are slowly getting outdated.

The good news is, since a few weeks there is a brandnew and modern version KM74 in the works! Just not ready yet for an official beta release, but we hope soon.

Anyway, everything that KM154 could, KM1.6beta2.6 can do as well and even better. So if something doesn't work that did before, you're probably doing something wrong.

On a personal note I'd say, it doesn't look like KM is your cup of tea anyway, it's not fully automatic, so you're very much welcome to use one of the countless other browsers instead...

Date: December 26, 2013 08:53PM

Newbie,
well I wouldn't blame you as you are real one described by nickname.
You didn't know.

There was no need to uninstall old KM as I've suggested a PORTABLE build - it can be used alongside with current installation being simply unpacked into some new folder.

Well, I don't know why you have a problem with Stylish now, but I can offer you new deal tongue sticking out smiley:
download one more PORTABLE build - this is 1.6 db+NS by dugbug, our comrade.

It has Stylish already out of the box. Enjoy it.

But in future please be more accurate with blaming others in your fails.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2013 08:54PM by rodocop.

Date: December 26, 2013 11:49PM

Hi rodo, just wondering - perhaps his problem is with portable versions in general, that old prob with write-protected program folder?
In that case here it probably still helps to simply delete the empty profile.ini to get another profile location, but in general the traditional KM philosophy of storing everything inside its protected main folder (skin modifications, new macros by default etc.) has created so many probs since XP, am not sure how many users those write-protection probs have driven away. Then again, guess have read that since win7 there was some semi-automatic redirection build into the system or that users are asked for permission for each file, or something, have no idea if it helps.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2013 08:54AM by siria.

Date: December 27, 2013 09:06AM

Well, i have reverted to the good old ver.1.5.4smiling smiley
I've downloaded 2-3 black-themes styles in .css from stylish.org.
They are working pretty good, but now i have other problem.
The themes have been installed with Stylish Manager, but i have not the possibility to "disable" them & to revert to the original view of the page, which iam browsing.
In other words i need something like "reset-theme"
Any ideas...?

I have installed a plug-in, dubbed Colour-inverter. It came with 4 embedded versions. One of them is reset version, which has been activated with F5 button...
I tried to copy-paste one of the styles-themes in folder ..K-Meleon/styles under the .css extension, but it didn't work...probably the plug-in doesn't recognise the
"new" style...

I prefer to have "reset-theme" in Stylish Manager in order to come back to the original view of the site, if i want to do this.

Date: December 27, 2013 01:43PM

Am not familiar with "stylish", but happen to know the color inverter. Actually that "reset" function is nothing else but a simple page reload, no special function! So no matter what was used to change a page style, for resetting click either the normal reload button or hit the normal reload-shortcut F5 (works in some other browsers too btw, quite handy).

No idea though why your other style doesn't work. Or only not with invertcolours?
That macro has only the given 4 styles and stylenames are hardcoded in the macro file.
But invertcolours.kmm is a nice, short macro, perfect to try a bit self-customizing. If you like just make a backup copy, store it elsewhere, and then open the original kmm with notepad or any other editor. Little things like changing hardcoded file names or menu lines are pretty much self-explanatory.
On the other hand, if the "bigger" macro stylish works and needs no editing, you don't need the basic invertcolours at all.

Date: December 28, 2013 09:23AM

...at last , iam done smiling smiley
Everything works like charm now, but it was difficult to get it.
The problem was , that in Stylish Manager one of the columns didn't display correctly. I found out that suddenly by chance, clicking on the edge of the inner window in Stylish Manager, where is the row for the columns. There i saw column, dubbed Active, but after clicking on it a few times, nothing has changed.
After a minute i understood, that something's wrong with it.
And really it was - the first column was narrowed & almost invisible.
I tried to extend it - and......guess what - it appears a tiny little circle next to each theme smiling smiley
Clicking on it with left/right mouse button made the relevant theme active/inactive,
changing the colour of the circle to blue (when active).
That was all - the mystery is resolved & Stylish Manager acts really adequate.
I can confirm nevertheless , that funcions "Help" & "Search for updates" are not working...but for me this is of a little sense.

On a side-note only to add a word about the plug-ins Colour-invertor & Styles Extreme. Yesterday i thought they are really useful add-ons, but now i dont think so.
When you activate a theme/style of them, when you refresh the page with F5, or insert the address of other web-site in browser's field, or just click a link in the page, which you're currently viewing, then it reverts all to original view of the site. Working in such a manner, imho these plug-ins are of very little use....

Date: December 28, 2013 11:05AM

There is special extension Javascriptia suitable for you needs, I think.

It allows apply selected js to the page every time it's loaded. Read more by following the link given. This is great tool.

Fortunately, siria is the author and - I think - can help with using it. Siria, can you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2013 11:06AM by rodocop.

Date: December 28, 2013 11:36AM

Another question i want to ask -
is it possible to make a key-combination for activate/deactivate JavaScript, instead of going through F2- Java Script - select/deselect -close.
Or probably exist simple plug-in for turn off/on of the JS...?

Date: December 28, 2013 11:38AM

It's there ALREADY!!!

F7.

Date: December 28, 2013 12:47PM

smiling smileysmiling smiley Many thanks, robocop
i didn't knew it..
hear it for first time...
It is not mentioned nowhere in the menus or help...

Date: December 28, 2013 04:58PM

If you're happy with stylish, that's great, guess it's also the best and most popular macro for this purpose.

If you really want to stick a bit longer with KM, just a few basic things you may want to have a look at:
F2 > GUI Appearance > display keyboard accelerator in menus (=shortcuts)
View > Toolbars > Privacy Bar (=buttons to switch JS, cookies etc.)

To hide or unhide single buttons of a toolbar, add or remove the comment signs # to all lines of a single button here:
Edit > configuration > toolbars
Or move the button position up/down by cut&paste a block.
Every button can have a command of your choice on left-click and additionally a menu of your choice on right-click or long-click.

Completely new buttons can be added as well, but that requires quite some handiwork and time. Also the syntax is very touchy, so important to make backup of the toolbar.cfg file first, because with the slightest mistake KM will crash at next startup.
Info page for the default commands, not complete:
Edit > Configuration > Commands List
Nearly every other command can be added as button too, especially those of additional kmm-macros. Provided you first have an icon image for it somewhere.

The good thing is, if some day you decide to upgrade to a newer KM version, the customized toolbar.cfg can simply be copied over.
Unless you don't delete it first of course or accidentally overwrite it, so it's a good idea to keep a separate backup copy of modified files. Attention, skin configuration is NOT stored in the profile folder but in the program folder.

----

Hi Rodo, thanks for liking a macro of mine, glad my stuff is actually useful for someone smiling smiley Must admit it's been too long, have forgotten most details, meanwhile you know it better than me! Regarding faq, would rather explain it by mail, but may take a moment.

Date: January 05, 2014 11:55AM

Robocop, can u tell me another place for K-meleon plug-ins like "KM Extensions Central" ?

Date: January 05, 2014 09:15PM

this is 'official' and most recently updated. More actual extensions are here on forum in different threads.

Date: February 15, 2014 12:30PM

Rodocop, you're from Russia, right...?
I have problems with this site - rutracker, cannot download with K-meleon...
any advise what to make...?

Date: February 15, 2014 11:05PM

Rutracker's site engine simply doesn't support old Gecko, so it refuses to work correctly with KM 1.6-1.7 but works fine with new builds.

That's all the problem.

Date: February 16, 2014 04:46PM

what to do ? - to install k-meleon 1.8 or higher...?

Date: February 16, 2014 07:02PM

...or use KM Twin with ChromeTab installed.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.