Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
PopupConfig - customize allowed events etc.
Posted by: siria
Date: September 25, 2016 02:46AM

There were some interesting discussions lately about stronger popup blocking, thanks to JohnHell and others (for example http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?4,139805 or http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,136247)

Now couldn't resist any longer and created a little macro too for easier pref toggling.
As usual, the menu has grown, and grown... oh well :cool:

This macro doesn't secretly change any unwanted settings or such by its own, only creates a new menu.
And could test it only in KM1.6, but should work in modern versions too. Anyone feel like trying? ;-)

PS: Never noticed, but KM shows a native gecko icon in the statusbar if an automatic popup is blocked on a page! And clicking this icon offers directly to whitelist the current page.

Installation:
just copy the attached kmm-file into a macros folder and restart the browser.

(Uninstall: delete the file again. Done.
But to avoid confusion I'd recommand to reset your customized hidden prefs first)

(Update: now version2)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2016 08:33AM by siria.

Attachments: popupconfig_menu.png (21.7 KB)   popupconfig.kmm (11.1 KB)  
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PopupConfig - customize allowed events etc.
Posted by: rodocop
Date: September 25, 2016 01:51PM

WOW again!

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: September 25, 2016 04:50PM

Incredible...

That is a huge work.

I haven't tested but I see the smart tricks you did as adding the # to block. Awesome.

P.S.: I have to study that $ARG. I thought Dorian added to K-meleon 7x branch the functions style for macros, but... ARG could make macros accept parameters... earlier...

Posted by: burp
Date: September 25, 2016 05:27PM

nice !
thx

Posted by: siria
Date: September 25, 2016 06:32PM

Thank you guys, that's very nice! smiling smiley
Doesn't happen every day that a macro gets any feedback, let alone 3, but as you know yourself once in a while we need to know that not all our work is just a waste ;-)

JohnHell
I haven't tested but I see the smart tricks you did as adding the # to block. Awesome.

Yep, exactly my reaction too when discovering that trick on the web :cool: It was mentioned in a couple places and quite old, so no idea who invented it first. And of course the macro merely provides a menu for already existing Mozilla functions.

Does that "info bar" thing work for anyone? It's supposed to add some info strip on the top of pages with blocked stuff, instead of the statusbar icon. Not sure which KM version and if that works in all geckos or perhaps just in FF, in that case should remove it again. A test page somewhere would be handy too.

JohnHell
P.S.: I have to study that $ARG. I thought Dorian added to K-meleon 7x branch the functions style for macros, but... ARG could make macros accept parameters... earlier...
Yes!! Absolutely love that $ARG thing, couldn't be easier and very helpful! Not knowing the concept at all, it took me 1-2 years in the beginning to even realize what it's about, not finding any explanation or examples anywhere at the time. On the other hand, those new pure javascript functions... oh well, sure very handy too, but javascript and I are from different planets. Very glad we have diverse people with diverse talents here smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.