Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
Extension/macro for permanently blocking things?
Posted by: Carl-Robert
Date: January 22, 2018 09:15AM

Hey!

Back at trying K-Meleon due to the Goanna-builds. So far everything is working great and I've already ditched Seamonkey to a support-role.

I browse without javascript, so most adverts and annoying things are already not loaded (and a hosts-file for the ad-, tracking- and malware domains), but occasionally there are things I want to remove from the page.

I installed the Nuke image extension from the extension central, and it works nicely (albeit for just images), but it isn't permanent. So is there a similar extension to delete simple things like images permanently from a page? Adblock plus probably can do this, but it seems rather overkill for the problem.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Extension/macro for permanently blocking things?
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 22, 2018 11:12AM

Hei Carl-Robert,

maybe try: ExExceptions

Quote from install rdf: You can specify which web sites are allowed to load various objects in one management window. By MATSUI Nag.

Comment: Please note that some pages load things from different URLs. Youtube.com and yahoo.com as examples. So You may have to try what URL to block to achieve Your goal.

Install:

Copy attachment to ./K-Meleon/browser/extensions

Create bookmark: chrome://exexcept/content/exexcept.xul

Call ExExceptions via bookmark or via about:addons its options.

Disclaimer: I have not tried with the current 20180121 K-Meleon test version.
Since I am not into blocking. But ExExceptions used to work for 74+1 etc.

Greetings to Suomi from Hannover

p.s. I use BluHell firewall and that is it.

SeaMonkey is my main Mail client and I use its composer module.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2018 11:21AM by guenter.

Attachments: {145e79b6-6c19-4b9c-915a-45c90a2f06a5}.xpi (17.2 KB)  
Date: January 22, 2018 11:55AM

I tried Exexceptions earlier (for other reason), but I don't think that's what I want, since it creates domain-rules for blocking, correct?

I'm trying to block for example ad-images hosted on the same domain as the page being served (not dangerous adverts, but annoying since big ones), so I was hoping for full-url blocking on those.

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 22, 2018 04:53PM

Carl-Robert
I tried Exexceptions earlier (for other reason), but I don't think that's what I want, since it creates domain-rules for blocking, correct?

I'm trying to block for example ad-images hosted on the same domain as the page being served (not dangerous adverts, but annoying since big ones), so I was hoping for full-url blocking on those.

Yes. IMHO Per domain of origin e.g. kmeleonbrowser.org Blocks k-meleon logo gif

But will allow to show on this page: pics from sflogo.sourceforge.net
and

If You want it more powerful: AFAIK AdBlockPlus or NoScript.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2018 05:05PM by guenter.

Posted by: hermes
Date: January 24, 2018 05:03PM

@Carl-Robert

I installed the Nuke image extension from the extension central, and it works nicely (albeit for just images), but it isn't permanent. So is there a similar extension to delete simple things like images permanently from a page? Adblock plus probably can do this, but it seems rather overkill for the problem.

Full blocking for any images (and their deletion from the page) is achieved by one simple rule $image. The rule can be used with minimal built-in Adblock. To do this, create file adblock.txt
(in folder of current profile). Write the rule in file.

Check that module is active in: Preferences [F2] \ KM-Plugins \ adblock.

Restart browser to load the rules (if the rules file changes, browser load them only after restart).
If you want to display a graphical control, look at this topic:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,135175,page=1 (JamesD offered a great interface).

You might want to look at material on this topic http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,144476,144488#msg-144488 .

Date: January 25, 2018 03:49PM

@hermes

You are misunderstanding me. Let's say the webpage hosts the ad-images at www.example.com/stuff/img.jpg which I want to block completely. However the same webpage has images at www.example.com/legit/importantimage.jpg which I need to see. (Super simple example).

Basically I need to have specific blocking rules for the images, not domains, of what I want to block. So I'm looking for simple "ad-block" type add-on, which works by for example right-clicking elements and choosing "never see this again". Nuke images work so (work for individual images nicely), but it is temporary (can see them again after few refreshes since no storing of "rules").

Date: January 25, 2018 04:39PM

OK. example.com/stuff/$image one simple rule.

Re: Extension/macro for permanently blocking / macro: image > adblock.CSS
Posted by: siria
Date: January 25, 2018 07:30PM

@Carl-Robert:
a little macro, just for you ;-)
Please read the description inside:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/file.php?9,file=1699,filename=nukeimage2adblock.kmm

PS: highly recommand to install ExExceptions anyway, for whole domains. There's a thread and button-macro somewhere in the forum too. And Priv3Buttons. And permdefs... (just saying, because I prefer to keep JS off too, and block other annoying stuff as well)

hermes
OK. example.com/stuff/$image one simple rule.

Have no clue of this yet, but full-URL-blocking sounds interesting too. Could you post a few simple real examples, just to get a better syntax idea? (and obviously, my little macro could just as well write into this other txt-file)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2018 07:51AM by siria.

Attachments: nukeimage2adblock.kmm (3 KB)  
Posted by: anonymous
Date: January 25, 2018 08:57PM

@siria
Weeks ago Hermes posted a link to simple real examples and that link was already offered by Wladimir Palant 10 years ago.

Date: January 26, 2018 08:57AM

@siria

Thank you for the macro! That works exactly how I wanted it to work. I tried adblock plus (latest build from its thread), but the right-clicking images on it didn't work (and I much rather use native features than install possibly buggy add-ons).

Date: January 26, 2018 09:07AM

@siria / Carl-Robert

The only disadvantage of your method is the fact that pictures are only hiding, but continue to load. In the case of URL blocking with adblock, they are not only invisible, but also do not load.

Re: Extension/macro for permanently blocking / macro: image > adblock.dll (BAcool smiley
Posted by: siria
Date: January 26, 2018 09:34PM

Carl-Robert
Thank you for the macro! That works exactly how I wanted it to work. I tried adblock plus (latest build from its thread), but the right-clicking images on it didn't work (and I much rather use native features than install possibly buggy add-ons).

Great, thanks for feedback!

And here is ANOTHER: same function, but for the native kplugin (adblock.dll) That means the images are already blocked before download, as hermes wrote.
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/file.php?9,file=1700,filename=nukeimage2adblockBAB.kmm

@hermes or anyone:
Unfortunately it has a teeny weird bug: when adblock.txt is deleted, the user-edits are imported 2x - why?? (those are my first steps with any other adblocker as css, perhaps missing something?)

(_adblock_ _BAB_ _bug_)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2018 01:15AM by siria.

Attachments: nukeimage2adblockBAB.kmm (5.1 KB)  
Posted by: anonymous
Date: January 26, 2018 11:47PM

@siria
M. Weiner actually looked into that file. It was one of some 'special' beta features.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.