Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
massOPENER (for BOOKMARKs)
Posted by: hermes
Date: September 09, 2018 07:32PM

In occasion of mass opening, opening a group / folder in bookmarks, etc. I created tool, on Coronerr request from Russian KM forum. In fact created parser for KM bookmarks. Written from scratch. Theoretically, possible completely rebuild original dialogue, because main work has already been done. But now there is only extended / requested functionality. Perhaps it will be interesting and useful to someone.

Fully graphical, synchronized, everything works with the update without restarts in real time's. You can open both single links and the entire bookmarks folder at a time.

The list is the original bookmarks of KM, and therefore when you change them and the list changes. A restart is not required. The first time you use it, you must specify the location of the file with bookmarks. Then everything is simple and intuitive. Fully controlled by the mouse and keyboard (arrows, ENTER - select, ESC - cancel and exit).

You can use relative path to bookmarks file for portable use (for convenience supported and ..\..\ constructions in the way). The configuration is created next to the executable file. Integrated in the bookmarks menu.

Original theme (on Russian): forum.geckoworld.ru/index.php/topic,242005.0.html

For clarity, recorded a video demonstration:
(direct link) http://getfile.dokpub.com/yandex/get/https://yadi.sk/d/-7FpUBmrw0q5XQ (~165 Kcool smiley

Unicode version: (current use)
(direct link) http://getfile.dokpub.com/yandex/get/https://yadi.sk/d/GIUuFqDZlL1oQw (~64 Kcool smiley

ANSi version: (for old KM and native work on 9x systems)
(direct link) http://getfile.dokpub.com/yandex/get/https://yadi.sk/d/WcT6Bv9AD2gj1w (~64 Kcool smiley

Video demonstration (Win9x):
(direct link) http://getfile.dokpub.com/yandex/get/https://yadi.sk/d/r7JOqx48seEjxg (~147 Kcool smiley

"Moderate" protection from a fool, i.e. You can not open all root of all bookmarks (i.e., run everything at all). Also, if inside the "folder" of bookmarks there is another nested / inner folder, link opens up to it, inclusive. This made for your protection, cannot to hang yourself PC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: massOPENER (for BOOKMARKs)
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: September 09, 2018 09:57PM

This enhances de Bookmarking functionality (select any bookmarks file), but that user didn't try to nickname a Bookmark folder, because does exactly the same thing when you "call" that nickname in the URL bar.

It is one of those "hidden" tricks of the Bookmarks plugin. Unless Goanna version removed that plugin, of course.

Note: I'm not trying to trash your work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2018 09:59PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: siria
Date: September 09, 2018 11:35PM

Looks good to me so far, from watching the video.
Certainly a much missed function for some people!

Just some thoughts, if it were mine, I'd move the menu line down, between "Options" and the folder view. To have both "Open" methods closer together.
And why not use the matching foldernames? "macros" and "tools" instead of "MACROs" and "TOOLs". The 'small' names exist already in the users systems (bad enough some extensions mix already tools+Tools). And why not include "...exe" in the full path too.

And just a pity: it would help interest if such major extensions had 1-2 images, to see at first glance what they are about! If there is "only" written text but no images at all, most people will not bother to take a closer look.
This topic should be moved anyway to the extensions subforum, there you can attach yourself 2 small files to each post.

JohnHell
This enhances de Bookmarking functionality (select any bookmarks file)

Was that function removed in newer versions? In old KM1.6 there is also a free path choice in the bookmark options.

And I agree, users should also be aware about native possibilities.
There are many users who refuse to install *any* additional browser extensions. And for other people like myself the native nick-name solution is simply enough, never needed more than 3 folders to open completely (check wheather etc). But every user has different needs and habits, and choice is good.

Date: September 09, 2018 11:41PM

siria

JohnHell

Was that function removed in newer versions? In old KM1.6 there is also a free path choice in the bookmark options.

No, but this provides on the fly selection of bookmark file without unloading the main bookmark file, and at hand, the default options is to go through the panel preferences. It's my guess.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2018 11:52PM by JohnHell.

Date: September 10, 2018 02:18AM

@JohnHell

The main task is the mass opening of entire folders in bookmarks, the ability to select a bookmark file, in fact, a side functionality. As far as I know, not in one version there is no way to open an entire folder of bookmarks at once (i.e. large number of URL for their mass opening at a time).

@siria

Just some thoughts, if it were mine, I'd move the menu line down, between "Options" and the folder view. To have both "Open" methods closer together.
And why not use the matching foldernames? "macros" and "tools" instead of "MACROs" and "TOOLs". The 'small' names exist already in the users systems (bad enough some extensions mix already tools+Tools). And why not include "...exe" in the full path too.

The macro is designed for example, as a demonstration of the idea, any experienced user can change according to his preferences. Regarding the register of names, this is a very old habit smiling smiley (there is a whole story connected with this). But when you copy to standard configuration, replacement of register does not occur if folders already exist (as macros folder).

And why not include "...exe" in the full path too.

I did not quite understand what's wrong with exe?

And just a pity: it would help interest if such major extensions had 1-2 images, to see at first glance what they are about! If there is "only" written text but no images at all, most people will not bother to take a closer look.
This topic should be moved anyway to the extensions subforum, there you can attach yourself 2 small files to each post.

Wasn't sure about the placement, so I posted here. Of course it is better to move to correct. I would be grateful if you post the link in PM so I could find this topic in a new place (for adding picture). It seemed to me that a miniature (in size) video is more eloquent than a screenshot.

Date: September 10, 2018 02:15PM

hermes
@JohnHell

The main task is the mass opening of entire folders in bookmarks, the ability to select a bookmark file, in fact, a side functionality. As far as I know, not in one version there is no way to open an entire folder of bookmarks at once (i.e. large number of URL for their mass opening at a time).

Video:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/egi1jr (MS Video 1 codec)

Maybe we are just misunderstanding between us winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2018 02:25PM by JohnHell.

Date: September 10, 2018 05:07PM

@JohnHell

Very impressive) Live and learn! Very elegant.
Well developments parser bookmarking can also be useful (I hope : ).

Date: September 10, 2018 05:18PM

Yeah, as mentioned a couple times already, bookmark nicks are great and need no extensions.
But of course only if a user needs that function not on ALL folders, but only a few.

PS: What coronerr wants to know is perhaps (?) "back.bmp" in the skins folders
(not quite sure if you're aware of this other great ancient feature too)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2018 07:17PM by siria.

Date: September 10, 2018 05:22PM

hermes
Well developments parser bookmarking can also be useful (I hope : ).

Of course, but as I said, this is a good enhancement, anyway.

The ability of open bookmarks files without unloading the current and load a new (that requires to restart K-meleon) is quite interesting.

Date: September 10, 2018 09:14PM

@siria

PS: What coronerr wants to know is perhaps (?) "back.bmp" in the skins folders
(not quite sure if you're aware of this other great ancient feature too)

If you watched video, that I posted (on Russian forum) the I had in mind precisely this.

@JohnHell

Theoretically, you can make several folders with an instance of the tool, place bookmarks also locally with these instances. And after minimal editing of the macro, you can get as many instances with different tabs at the same time.

Also, you don't always want to change the original bookmark file. And writing down the keys to open it implies. With a large number of folders you need to remember all the startup keys, you can easily forget. But for a limited sample, your method is ideal.

Date: September 10, 2018 10:51PM

offtopic
hermes
If you watched video, that I posted (on Russian forum) the I had in mind precisely this.

Have watched it, but it's only showing other things. Never mind, that's probably not what he meant anyway, after seeing his bigger images. Can't reproduce what he shows, on my older computer. Just looked around a bit in the pinstripe twin folder. Do you think it could possibly be an error by toolbars.cfg, which contains one } too much, at the end of the Go-button? No idea. Or possibly some setting in skin.js, for testing that file could simply be renamed.
(PS: changed skin line settings show up immediately when opening a new window, no full browser restart needed)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2018 10:52PM by siria.

Posted by: Coronerr
Date: September 30, 2018 09:33PM

JohnHell
This enhances de Bookmarking functionality (select any bookmarks file), but that user didn't try to nickname a Bookmark folder, because does exactly the same thing when you "call" that nickname in the URL bar.
For me this method is unacceptable even once. Bookmarks.html is exported daily from Firefox to K-Meleon. Firefox does not have a nickname for folders. Also in Firefox 62.0, the "description" field has been removed from the bookmarks, although there still remains the ability to export. But in the next releases and this will not happen

Date: September 30, 2018 10:25PM

Coronerr
Bookmarks.html is exported daily from Firefox to K-Meleon. Firefox does not have a nickname for folders.

That is a very special case of course.
So you need Hermes solution.

Coronerr
But in the next releases and this will not happen
Which next release, of what? (translation prob perhaps?)

PS:
I've seen you're making macros yourself, great! smiling smiley
If you need a topic for general macrolanguage questions:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,141642
And do you use the error console2?
For kmm-errors it shows line-numbers after this pref is created:
kmeleon.plugins.macros.debug = true
(it may disable the old compat-macro, but that's from KM1.1, no prob)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.