Addons for KM: legacycollector.org forced to close too sad smiley
Posted by: siria
Date: November 05, 2019 04:56PM

WARNING - legacycollector.org forced to close too!
That was one of the very last Firefox-ADDON archives usable for K-Meleon and other forks too, since Mozilla killed nearly all last year, tens of thousands xpi-addons sad smiley

http://legacycollector.org/

Since starting this, end 2018, in response to Mozilla removing all legacy extensions from its add-ons site, with plans to expand to include more, similar "legacy" content, a few things have changed needing me to re-evaluate both the need for this site and my desire to run it.

Most importantly I've received several threats to my person for running legacycollector.org - not the kind of thing I signed up for.
But hey, Internet, if that is how you want to play ball, I'm out.

Considering this, I've decided to stop providing this free archive and void my plans.
This archive will be shut down in December 2019. Merry Christmas.

Re: Addons for KM: legacycollector.org forced to close too sad smiley
Date: November 05, 2019 05:07PM

Now there's not much left anymore, to get powerful Firefox-XPI-addons for K-Meleon too.
And especially only a tiny number of them:

- currently the best chance by far: the CAA addon, Classic-Addons-Archive
But IMO very fragile as well, maintained mainly by 1 person (justOff), and the giant database kindly hosted by waterfox.
But it's an xpi-addon itself, not accessible for users of old browsers like KM74, let alone KM1.x

- and waybackmachine (probably incomplete?)
http://web.archive.org/web/201911/https://legacycollector.org/firefox-addons/index.html

- and the couple Seamonkey-compatible addons still left on AMO (well possible Mozilla will kill those too in awhile, considering they've cut all engine-bridges for forks already)

- And very few special addons for PaleMoon and for KM (in KM-forum, and ancient versions on kmext)

(And of course KM-macros, here in the Extensions sub forum and old versions on kmext.sf.net, but much, much fewer, and by nature with much less functions as xpi-addons)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2019 05:23PM by siria.

Posted by: roytam1
Date: November 06, 2019 01:02AM

I grabbed the archive and released in my server:
rths dot ml slash legacycollector

don't "make the above link to be an URL and spread" please.

Date: November 06, 2019 02:23AM

Whow!! That's fantastic, thank you! Hope it can stay around as long as possible smiling smiley smiling smiley

Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 06, 2019 09:41PM

Great you are, roytam!

Date: December 29, 2019 10:07PM

Anyone know, how big that "Dump" archive is after unzipping?
Am trying to figure out some way to still download it in the last minute. Getting suddenly crazy ideas like considering buying some cheap new Android spy device (which?? where?) in a hurry with lots of internal space, just to download that 15GB chunk now (and possibly future monster files) in some public wifi spot (no clue yet either where and how), and if it works would then first have to unzip it internally in order to copy the smaller bits to a microSD card... Darn, wish I hadn't lost all hope too soon, and now running out of time :-/

And does anyone have an idea why there are 2 downloads??
What's the difference in content?

https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22legacycollector.org%22

1) https://archive.org/details/Firefox_Legacy_Collector_Dump
22.oct: File collection with a 14GB file and has 1000 views

2) https://archive.org/details/legacycollector.org.tar.xz
23.oct: File collection with only a 8GB file and has 26 views

Ah yeah, and also greatly confused by that mysterious "torrent" stuff, but hoping to download the "tar" like a normal file would do too??

Hmmm..... it's dawning.... or could it be that NEITHER of those2 is genuine??
And the real one actually the link inside the original webpage:
https://web.archive.org/web/20191102092539/http://legacycollector.org/legacycollector.org.tar.xz.torrent

Hmmm.... and if that's true, it probably means: nothing will get deleted NOW, since the website IS already deleted long since...? If so, the waybackmachine will hopefully keep the original stored website for some time now? And the 2 (stranger submitted?) copies too...? But how original are they, or rather, the 15GB one?

Hmmm.... and that theory already leading to next question: is that "embedded" website link even complete? Who knows, perhaps wayback has a size limit for links embedded in websites...?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2019 10:33PM by siria.

Posted by: anonymous
Date: December 29, 2019 11:23PM

@siria
Calm down, people from archive.org know their business.
Just download single xpi files as needed.

(Did you test your new browser yet?)

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: December 29, 2019 11:37PM

You are overthinking, from the latest capture of legacycollector.org at archive.org:

Note, if you want to grab single files/drill down into the site in an archived fashion, I'm happy to announce that the people at archive.org have provided a dump here: https://archive.org/details/Firefox_Legacy_Collector_Dump. Thank you Jason and colleagues!

So is legitimate.

Why is larger?. I don't know. The 8GB is compressed and the other... I don't know, probably not, despite .xpi files are compressed too.

The .torrent file, or the magnet link, is nothing obscure tongue sticking out smiley. Sure P2P is something almost illegal in your country (for copyrighted material, and the upload process itself) but is well established as a file sharing network, as it is the ed2k network, accessed nowadays with the flavours of eMule (it isn't in this network :/). You only need a bittorrent client (probably none compatible with Windows 98 nowadays).

Anyway, if you still trust the DUMP, as it hangs the browser, I upload here a copy of what archive.org shows as its files contents (open it with wordpad, for example, or it will hang K-meleon or any other browser trying to render it (22MB of html)).

Just copy links from that file and download them from archive.org dump/backup.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/h5ailhz2u65ghhc/view_archive.7z/file

I forgot to say that you don't need to buy a phone. With an USB/SD card with about 64/128GB 10/20 euro (even the worst brand), should be enough for the file and for the extraction.

(And I could have saved the above if I had looked it was already a post above this one smarter and clearer XD)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2019 12:00AM by JohnHell.

Date: December 30, 2019 02:15PM

JohnHell
(And I could have saved the above if I had looked it was already a post above this one smarter and clearer XD)

Har Har, very funny... tongue sticking out smiley
And not true, since it doesn't help if the staff knows what they are doing, but we don't know what they are doing. For example in lots of stored pages the embedded links are dead (lots of xpi-links in original AMO pages are broken, assume caused by spider probs or settings). So it's well possible they could have a size limit for embedded monster links too.

The helpful info was in your post anyway: so the "DUMP" is confirmed by the site owner to be authentic, in a younger snapshot, great! Although I had already assumed that meanwhile, after clicking on the uploader name, which reveals he's a staff member.
But that "torrent" stuff is still a huge concern. I can't even download (right-click link and save) their 8MB "txt" file, although downloading much bigger zip or video files works easily. Wonder if that's also torrent-related or perhaps just needs more permissions (JS?)
Does that mean, even if trying to download that giant "tar" file with a smartphone and public wifi (speed??), it wouldn't work either? Because it requires additionally to first install some (shady? suspicious?) torrent app too? Grmpf... Things can be so easy - with the right equipment and skills sad smiley

Date: December 30, 2019 04:33PM

siria
JohnHell

Har Har, very funny... tongue sticking out smiley
And not true, since it doesn't help if the staff knows what they are doing, but we don't know what they are doing. For example in lots of stored pages the embedded links are dead (lots of xpi-links in original AMO pages are broken, assume caused by spider probs or settings). So it's well possible they could have a size limit for embedded monster links too.

When they don't archive some files is because there might have been some barrier (server side like PHP or whatever interactive download progress that doesn't download files and doesn't let keep them). AMO, specially, had a lot of barriers, like the user agent. Depending on the user agent it didn't let download the file, or enabled the link or, I can't remember, maybe also Javascript, or cookies, or...

They didn't allow to download easily.

Archive.org now has even old games ISO files (CD images) so the file size is not a problem. I have seen files of GB hosted by them.

In this legacycollector case, looks like they got all site uploaded.

siria
But that "torrent" stuff is still a huge concern. I can't even download (right-click link and save) their 8MB "txt" file, although downloading much bigger zip or video files works easily. Wonder if that's also torrent-related or perhaps just needs more permissions (JS?)

I have a copy of the original torrent file and I can upload it here. I haven't doing anything with it because until a few days I hadn't installed my old µTorrent client. I upload here now.

It is just 41KB. A text file with info about its contents and where to bootstrap to find other people sharing it to download it. It's a binary file and, obviously you need a torrent client to download it.

I don't know, to date, if it is available (someone is sharing). I haven't checked.

But don't worry, you have the above roytam's website mirror, anyway, too.

siria
Does that mean, even if trying to download that giant "tar" file with a smartphone and public wifi (speed??), it wouldn't work either? Because it requires additionally to first install some (shady? suspicious?) torrent app too? Grmpf... Things can be so easy - with the right equipment and skills sad smiley

Tar is a compressed file, so you only need 7-zip.

I haven't said anything like that confused smiley And you don't need a smartphone, or public wifi or whatever. One of the most important things with P2P sharing networks is patience. You can pause the download whenever your want and being a month downloading (after all you depend on the seeders (sharers) bandwidth, too).

You only need a bittorrent client, but I don't think there is one compatible with your windows 98 to date, and compatible with the latest torrent features (UDP "servers" (they aren't hosting servers)). You don't even need to download to the HDD. Plug your USB/SD card, and command it download there.

They are not shady programs or whatever. You only need to know how to setup them (loads of manuals out there) and nothing else.

But it is easier than all this. You have the files there (or roytam's mirror), just download what you need winking smiley. You don't need the full tar.gz.

Attachments: legacycollector.org.tar.xz.torrent (41.4 KB)  
Date: December 30, 2019 05:12PM

Thanks for explaining. Yes for NOW it's great to be able to download single files.
The prob is just: what's tomorrow? Next year??
At the moment there are merely 2 chances for such easy single access, the legacycollector-archive on wayback and the same by roytam. Both can easily vanish every day. E.g. when Mozilla demands from archive.org to remove all old AMO stuff. After all, to PREVENT access to xul-addons was the only reason they destroyed the AMO site to begin with. For a company that big it would have been zero prob to keep those 15GB public too. If necessary, they could also have turned the site into a static one, but refusing even this proves clearly that their goal was to PREVENT access to those addons. And roytam's server can suddenly vanish for all sorts of reasons too, even just hardware or provider probs, domain probs, fire, criminals, whatever.

The little detail you forget when saying I could "just download" that stuff without requiring any equipment is connection SPEED and BANDWIDTH limits. Far too low, would require months of continuous downloading. Therefore public wifi. And for such a risky thing, would greatly prefer an isolated device. Best some cheap throwaway device, but not available ;-) At least no 1-day time pressure anymore, so no hurry, for the moment can drop that 'project' again.

Date: December 30, 2019 08:08PM

siria
The little detail you forget when saying I could "just download" that stuff without requiring any equipment is connection SPEED and BANDWIDTH limits. Far too low, would require months of continuous downloading. Therefore public wifi. And for such a risky thing, would greatly prefer an isolated device. Best some cheap throwaway device, but not available ;-) At least no 1-day time pressure anymore, so no hurry, for the moment can drop that 'project' again.

Just a note.

On P2P, you shouldn't expect speed, even if your bandwidth is 50Gbits/s download. You depend on the bandwidth on the other side: who is sharing. And with the asymmetry on domestic connections that means too low. And if he/she doesn't stop sharing it. So, I don't want to get you in a hurry but is the downside of P2P networks. There must be at least one seed (on torrent slang, one sharing it) and without much perspectives of achievement .

Not trying to demoralize you, really tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2019 08:09PM by JohnHell.

Date: December 30, 2019 10:05PM

I focused above on torrent, and forget everything.

I just have tested with the 15GB download and you don't need speed or bandwidth. The server allows resuming, so you can download whenever you want, day by day. Just pause and continue.

It even allows plain text connection (HTTP) if your downloader doesn't support encrypted connections.
http://archive.org/download/Firefox_Legacy_Collector_Dump/legacycollector.org.tar

Date: December 30, 2019 10:32PM

This should explain why one is bigger than the other. It is uncompressed and plus metadata...

Date: January 24, 2020 11:04PM

I just checked now and in the bittorrent network there are, right now, over 140 people sharing(20)/downloading(123) it.

Might still live that online for a few months or years, until the last one stops sharing the file.

Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: February 09, 2020 09:48PM

For me, as a non-coder, I see no sense in grabbing a huge collection of stuff to keep around that mostly will be of no use to me with K-Meleon.

What would tickle me happily would be a similar collection of add-ons of all sorts that is somehow neatly organized & specifically ALL for K-Meleon only.

K-Meleon remains my most favourite browser & I am using it right now under XP (Rodocop's 75.1 Pro, tweaked for my tastes) and as I become more & more totally immersed in Linux I will continue using this browser as well as the Goanna version(s) via WINE.

Fighting with the whiny, demanding b*tch that YT has become was an endless & futile battle IMO, so now I just use that site via Seamonkey or PM Linux versions & call it good - when I bother with YT at all, that is.

I still have my final iteration of FF portable with all the best stuff added - but sadly it is of little use except to sadden me seeing how much BETTER that FF used to be than the chrome-ized black hole that it has become.

Of ALL the add-ons ever made, the single one I miss the most is Tab Mix Plus, there is neither a replacement nor any equal for it and the so-called 'modern' browser things REALLY need the added functionalities that it provided...very badly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2020 09:53PM by smallhagrid.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.