Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
Ghostery, NO-SCRIPT, or UBlock?
Date: August 07, 2018 07:44PM

Friend with a VISTA computer. Not lot options in way of browser anymore. Remembered using Kmeleon from long ago. Downloaded the portable 76 RC2 It works fine.

Downloaded the addon manager. From what I was reading any extension that will work in PaleMoon will work in this latest Kmeleon. They said I think Ghostery 5.4.10 would work in PaleMoon. Well doesnt work with Kmeleon.

So is there any version Ghostery, NO-SCRIPT, or UBlock that will work? Controlling which websites scripts can run is a NECESSITY anymore, especially on old hardware and limited connection. Blocking ads is easy, blocking the tracking scripts is hard. Nothing works if you disable java-script entirely. Maybe back in days of plain simple html, not now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ghostery, NO-SCRIPT, or UBlock?
Posted by: siria
Date: August 08, 2018 03:23AM

coasting2astall
Friend with a VISTA computer. Not lot options in way of browser anymore. Remembered using Kmeleon from long ago. Downloaded the portable 76 RC2 It works fine.

Downloaded the addon manager. From what I was reading any extension that will work in PaleMoon will work in this latest Kmeleon. They said I think Ghostery 5.4.10 would work in PaleMoon. Well doesnt work with Kmeleon.

So is there any version Ghostery, NO-SCRIPT, or UBlock that will work?

Sounds like you're definitely confusing KM with one of roytam1's several other browsers. Check here:
http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-for-xp/?page=43

It's true that K-Meleon has gotten a lot better with using FF addons over the last few years, but it's mainly using its own macro extensions and still very far from using "all" Firefox or Palemoon addons, especially not those which need menus or buttons. A few of those can be supplemented with additional KM macros, but not many, only the easier ones which only need a local config-URL to open or a pref to toggle. Especially adblock-versions are very restricted and complicated yet in terms of user GUI. And there exists no "addon manager" which can be downloaded for KM and which could handle XPI addons. Only a very basic tool to easier handle KM's own macros and special KM extensions, mainly by helping the user to remember which files were in their install packages. To handle xpi-addons (and by the way only the old xul-type which Mozilla is all DELETING this month, not their current "WebExtensions") you must type "about:addons" in the urlbar.

By the way your K-Meleon76RC2 is rather outdated too, and it contains Gecko-38.x.esr.
The current KM77beta dev version (still confusingly labelled KM76xx by roytam1) is his Palemoon27 (Goanna) fork here:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,143253
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/list.php?19

(PS: be careful with Ghostery. Just did a quick web search and seems it's one of those addons which were bought by advertising/tracking companies themselves, looking for some popular addon to abuse for their business)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2018 07:31AM by siria.

Posted by: KM2005
Date: August 08, 2018 07:09AM

siria
By the way your K-Meleon76RC2 is rather outdated too, and it contains Gecko-31esr.

As I understand it, KM76RC2 shows 'About KM' and web-based useragent lookup > 38.7.1esrpre

Date: August 08, 2018 07:32AM

Oops, of course! Thanks for the hint.

Posted by: callahan
Date: August 08, 2018 10:32AM

Going back to the legacy uBlock Origin link provided by Yogi on 01 August and mentioned at the MSFN forum.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: August 01, 2018

Web extensions work only with Firefox Quantum.

This is the legacy extension of uBlock which works with Firefox 52 and probably with its forks depending on how old the code of those forks is.
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/tag/firefox-legacy-1.16.4.4
-----------------------------------------------

uBlock Origin works just fine on New Moon 27 and New Moon 28 but not on K-Meleon 77 by roytam1 or version 76. I can't see any tab or any sign that it is actually installed on the browser ... except at 'about:addons'.

It can be seen there only but no tabs work for me to get into 'Show Dashboard' and such.

I removed it after a few installations ... I will see what others say. It really does work very good on the New Moon versions by roytam1, now that I understand the program better and how it works.

Date: August 08, 2018 12:33PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
While it's true that legacy extensions will work with Firefox forks but this doesn't apply to K-Meleon, neither to actual development versions nor to future ones. Siria's post above explains why.
To make those legacy extensions to work with K-Meleon someone with the necessary skills would have to adapt them to K-Meleon's macro language.
It's the visual interface/UI and as such the posibility of handling the extension which is missing. Otherwise the extensions would install fine and would be probably also functional.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2018 12:39PM by Yogi.

Date: August 08, 2018 03:24PM

I was not aware of all the terms ... Web extensions and legacy extensions and other Firefox information ... until you posted about them earlier. Have read on Google about them, so I now have a better understanding about some of the newer Firefox changes.

Thanks for explaining more about K-Meleon and legacy extensions. I actually have decided that I really don't need all that filtering with K-Meleon. The big deal for me is being able to turn JavaScript on and off in a fast way.

I am not able to do this with New Moon so the extra filtering does help there.

I also use Proxomitron with K-Meleon and New Moon and it has been 'updated' by Amy at the Un-Official Proxomitron forum. She has been working on this project for over a year and the project is now called 'Proxomitron Reborn'.

I just mention it here since it works with K-Meleon and several M$ OSs ... including XP.

In case there are some forum members that were not aware of this great project going on in 2018. This a post by Amy from 23 July ...

Jul. 23, 2018

amy

RE: Proxomitron Reborn

As I am going through the list of existing bugs in the original 4.5j and fixing them, I came across this one:

Quote:
Header filter order in config file changes upon save

and this one is related:

Quote:
Header filter list box does not reflect order in which header filters are applied

I think we all agree that the order should not change just by loading and saving the same config file that already has them in some consistent order, but what do you think the correct order should be? Currently, it seems that when it loads, it tries to keep URL: filters at the beginning of its internal list, but the code for that is a little buggy (hence the URL: filters sometimes don't show up at the beginning, and sometimes they do.) I believe Scott intended for URL: filters to be applied before all others, hence the code to treat them differently.

Also, having decided on an order in the config file, what order should be shown in the header filters dialog? The same order as in its internal list (and thus the order in which they are applied), or the current "sorted" order?

Would it break any existing filters? Are there both users who rely on URL: filters at the top, and those who rely on them being sorted "alphabetically"?

If we can make a decision on this, 4.5.2.0 will contain this fix (among many others.)
------------------------------------------------------------

and the last post on 27 July:

After giving it some more thought, I also believe that having the header filter dialog order be the same order they're applied makes the most sense, so consider that decided unless someone here can come up with a very good reason to use a different order.

I'm currently leaning in the direction of having URL: filters always come first (sorted alphabetically as a group) in the internal list and also at the top of the config file order (i.e. saving a config file will always produce this order), but am open to more suggestions on this. I'll leave this one alone for a while in case anyone else has some opinion it.

(Jul. 24, 2018 04:06 AM)referrer Wrote:
config -> access -> allow access to the following IP address range
save
goto access again
the accessrange autochange to:

Thanks, will be fixed in 4.5.2.0.
-------------------------------------------------

Her project has a lot of members excited just like here at this form when roytam1 showed up in the Fall of 2017.

Here is the link to the thread ... Page 1 ... there are 5 pages now but very interesting reading with the discoveries she made as she got deeper into Proxomitron. If you remember Scott R. Lemmon ... Proxomitron was his gift to all of us. His 'original work' is never changed, just updated in ways to not change his original program, as I understand it.

Sadly, he passed away at the age of 36 ...

Scott Richardson Lemmon (January 28, 1968 – May 1, 2004 (age 36)) was the author of the Proxomitron web filtering software.

Proxomitron Reborn

http://prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2331

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2018 03:25PM by callahan.

Posted by: KM2005
Date: August 08, 2018 04:22PM

callahan
The big deal for me is being able to turn JavaScript on and off in a fast way.

I am not able to do this with New Moon so the extra filtering does help there.

'JS Switch' does that; used it in PaleMoon and now NewMoon. I have it installed; but primarily use KM and its switch which has been a primary browser for me, that being one reason why.

I've not used Proxomitron; but, instead Privoxy for at least 16 years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2018 04:25PM by KM2005.

Date: August 08, 2018 05:27PM

KM2005 ... thanks a lot for posting about JS Switch and Pale Moon. That's exactly what I was looking for ... a simple 'on - off' switch.

It's called 'Toggle JavaScript' but seems to be the same as JS Switch. It's what I found with a Google search.

I will post a link in case anyone else wants to check it out.

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/togglejscript/

It seems to work OK with uBlock already installed on New Moon.

... adding, I was going to check Privoxy out last year but then I read about the Proxomitron project started by Amy and decided to wait on that to advance and finish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2018 05:55PM by callahan.

Date: August 09, 2018 07:30AM

Ok, thanks all. I will read some more about the new Proxomitron. I vaguely remember old version from win98 days.

But like told my friend, her hardware should support either cleaned up and locked down unactivated win10 or if not, then definitely Puppy Linux. I've done the locked down win10 "lite" on couple year old mini laptop with like 2GB RAM and 32GB eMMC and it helped immensely. Very limited hardware computers I think were intended to encourage migration to the "cloud" and for people to then rent space there in perpetuity. But in fact just annoys people when not enough "hard drive" space for the perpetual marketing-security updates by M$.

Or better Puppy Linux that I am very familiar with and use daily. Windows people however seem very fearful of linux of any flavor even though it would let her run latest Chromium or Firefox, no problem. Even dual boot so still have VISTA available to run her familiar windows software.

Oh by way on a lark I ran portable Kmeleon 76 on portable WINE on Puppy. It runs really well like that and stupid simple to do. I remember back in days when linux browsers few and far between, Kmeleon did pretty well with WINE even then, though with few glitches. Both WINE and Kmeleon have progressed a lot since then.

Date: August 09, 2018 08:30AM

coasting2astall
Or better Puppy Linux that I am very familiar with and use daily. Windows people however seem very fearful of linux of any flavor even though it would let her run latest Chromium or Firefox, no problem.
I for sure yes! Even though I'd love to, since many years, and more and more since Windows was turned into slaveware without any anti-monopoly laws caring about it. But just seeing from afar that Linux seems to require learning by heart all sorts of command lines is scary, a steep learning curve. And also seing there's not one or two, or perhaps five Linux variants, but countless ones, and those again divided into countless sub-variants - waahh...! And also keep reading that each of those countless packages has it's own available-apps selection, oh sigh... And also seeing that M$ has now bought github and full control over the Linux source, following Google's example with monopolizing Android-Linux, the future just looks bleaker and bleaker sad smiley

Posted by: hermes
Date: August 09, 2018 01:16PM

@siria

Linux is not scary as it sounds. Similarly to topic about mini-servers, as there are small and very friendly programs, so there are small, easy and affordable distributions (even for children : ).
As little example, http://www.slax.org/ (+ http://www.slax.org/en/modules.php? ).
Very simple, you can collect the desired functionality in just five minutes. You can simply copy favorite modules on a flash drive or add to ISO (for CD / DVD). RAM consumption is less than 90 MB in x86 version (occupied space less than 300 Mcool smiley.

By the way, this configuration is an excellent basis for "host OS" when using any configured OS in a virtual machine. Hardware is recognized and addressed, almost no resources are spent. Virtual machines with ANY OS - work. What else is needed for happiness? : )

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 01:42PM by hermes.

Date: August 11, 2018 03:09PM

callahan

Well, I did a brief test.
The old problem still exists, namely filtering over a secure connection.
As long as this issue won't get solved it can't serve as a viable solution for filtering - maybe in the near future but not right now.
Besides, I don't know if there are up to date filter sets and at what degree they can satisfy individual needs. Average users won't write their own filters anytime soon...

Toggle JavaScript is basically a shortcut to the browser's inner pref (about:config) and works like K-Meleon's toggle for JS.
It doesn't interfere with uBlock and it is safe to use both together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2018 03:24PM by Yogi.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.