Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
I need macros to install ONETAB extension
Posted by: iyut
Date: August 29, 2018 12:08PM

Hello, I am newbie to K-melon, I want to use it instead of ever slow-becominf Firefox.
But I can not install here handy addons, for example OneTab and Browsec.
Can anybody make a macros for them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need macros to install ONETAB extension
Posted by: George_Hall
Date: August 30, 2018 02:23AM

iyut
Hello, I am newbie to K-melon, I want to use it instead of ever slow-becominf Firefox.
But I can not install here handy addons, for example OneTab and Browsec.
Can anybody make a macros for them?

Most like the addons OneTab and Browsec do not work becuase they are webextensions based on Google Chrome Addon System. Which will never work with K-Meleon becuase it only supports the Classic Firefox XUL Addon System.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2018 02:24AM by George_Hall.

Date: August 30, 2018 09:38AM

Thanks for answer,
I want to ask, is there similar extensions for K-melon?

Date: August 30, 2018 09:54AM

By the way, OneTab extension (v.1.9.1) is installable and appears in about:addons,
but doesn't work, as I understand because of lacking macros.

Posted by: hermes
Date: August 30, 2018 10:38AM

@iyut

If your only goal is to get a list of open tabs, you don't need any extensions. As example, for myself I made a modification of menu, for easy access to list of tabs in one click.

Often I work with a huge number of tabs and therefore it is a necessary measure.

Date: August 30, 2018 05:52PM

Sad, but impossible as I see.
For me needed not only of opened tabs, but previous sets of opened tabs.

That's an obstacle for me in transition to K-Melon: impossible to install many Classic Firefox XUL Addons,
and difficult to setup the toolbar.
K-Melon is super-fast in opening buggy websites, overloaded with scripts and sites, and cross-site XSS.
Firefox now became unbearable for older PCs, but easy and familiar in setup of the extensions and of the toolbar.
Sorry.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 30, 2018 10:00PM

iyut
Sad, but impossible as I see.
For me needed not only of opened tabs, but previous sets of opened tabs.

K-Meleon has a built-in sessions manager, whole sessions can be stored with a name and later restored. But having to restore them 'blind' I don't like either.
There were already a few macros creating group lists.

A while back I made the tablistia macro, which has 2 main functions. One of them is creating a simple little html-page with a link list of all open tabs, with title and URL. The other main function is converting old stored KM-sessions to such link-pages too, one by one (this converter function is alpha-state, but creating lists from currently open tabs works great).
Those tablists are not yet stored after creating, just in RAM. Must be saved manually:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,139627

Meanwhile have tried to improve it a bit for own use, it shows a prompt now to input a customized title etc, then pops up the save-dialog automatically, but it's not quite finished yet to post the update.
And so far it doesn't auto close "all other tabs" as the OneTab addon. I don't quite trust such automatic deletions, but if needed there's already a native option in KM, when right-clicking on a tab to "close all other tabs".

I'm aware this is only 1 macro and not going to solve the general prob for users who need a bunch of more sophisticated addons, but since the topic title is about OneTab, it fits here quite well.

iyut
That's an obstacle for me in transition to K-Melon: impossible to install many Classic Firefox XUL Addons, and difficult to setup the toolbar.
Firefox now became unbearable for older PCs, but easy and familiar in setup of the extensions and of the toolbar.

Yes I see the prob with the Firefox addons clearly. Especially to get essential stuff like the live-blocking function in adblockplus working in KM too.
Too bad there's no addon-expert around, I'm convinced he could bring KM a huge step forward by finding connections and methods to build more bridges between KM and such more complicated addon functions!

If possible without tinkering too much with the original addons. Perhaps in some cases additional little helper addons could bridge that gap, if they observe a pref and then call the original addon function, and that helper pref could be triggered by macro-menus... The author of cookiekeeper invented such a trick himself, his original addon is already observing a KM pref, which is set by a macro-menu. But needs addon experts, and those people are of course using rather Firefox as KM.

PS: not sure if you're aware, Mozilla has announced that around Oct-5 they will DELETE ALL traditional Firefox addons (xul-type).
In the future only Chrome WebExtensions are available, which can be used in 'modern' Firefox versions, a type which is far less powerful (meant for tweaking the WEB, not the browser itself, that's mostly forbidden now)
Not only K-Meleon, but also other Gecko forks like PaleMoon and Seamonkey will then run in a huge prob, because they can only handle native Firefox addons, the "xul-addons", but those hosted on addons.mozilla.com will all be gone in a few weeks. Perhaps other people and browser projects can rescue and host that giant treasure elsewhere, but wouldn't count to strongly on that hope.
Better download now what you may need in the future, either for alternative browsers or for older Firefox versions.

Date: August 30, 2018 10:02PM

But what's the prob with toolbars?
Those are extremely flexible.
Menu Edit>Configuration>Toolbars
(backup recommended before editing it)

Date: August 31, 2018 01:06AM

I thank all those who wrote the answers, I'll think about. And excuse me for my uneducated English.
Good luck, guys.

Date: August 31, 2018 01:28AM

When I click Menu Edit>Configuration>Toolbars, file Toolbars.cfg is opening.
But for most simple users, better "drag-and-drop" as in Firefox, or as in Total Commander.
I can grasp in Toolbars.cfg, but the time is valuable.

Date: August 31, 2018 12:45PM

@iyut

In terms of interface configuration, KM has no analogues in terms of flexibility and customization options. You can rebuild literally everything (any menus, panels, icons, etc.). Yes, it requires patience and at least an elementary reading of FAQ. But it's worth it. The truth is that FF is designed for a very average user, KM requires certain knowledge and skills. Or it will be used for a very small percentage of its capabilities.

If think what KM is just a browser is a big mistake. In fact, it is not a product of the mass market. Unfortunately, most of people only copy / paste ready to use modules.

First of all, K-MELEON is a platform on which you can do a lot (and in fact, it's easier than it seems). FF is mostly designed for the "typical" user, so the comparison is unsuccessful. A typical user is usually quite lazy.

@siria

Yes I see the prob with the Firefox addons clearly. Especially to get essential stuff like the live-blocking function in adblockplus working in KM too.

ABPrime does not provide this function? Everything works in full. If you need to track down elements, Firebug is great here (I integrated it in my KM, already three years ago).

Posted by: iyut-
Date: September 01, 2018 10:08AM

@hermes

hermes
KM has no analogues in terms of flexibility and customization options.
it requires patience
But it's worth it.
A typical user is usually quite lazy.

Thank you for answer, it's intriguingю Now I am going to read FAQ фтв to learn deaply KM.

Date: September 01, 2018 12:00PM

iyut-
Thank you for answer, it's intriguingю Now I am going to read FAQ фтв to learn deaply KM.

But attention, only the english version is at least partly updated, although still many obsolete parts in it.
All non-english versions are extremely outdated, about 100 years old

Posted by: iyut-
Date: September 01, 2018 01:07PM

OK, I'm sorry for my typos above

Date: September 01, 2018 01:20PM

Don't worry about typos, most people here are not native english either smiling smiley
If you use an account, you can edit your own posts when you like.
PS: automatic emails are broken, the forum sends nothing when for example following a thread or whatever.

Date: September 01, 2018 01:27PM

@iyut-

Be sure to look: MacroLanguage2 (EN). The main thing in KM is hidden in its macro language. Macros can do a lot.

Posted by: science2002
Date: February 13, 2019 10:34AM

+1 OneTab extension like.

to keep resources down, even with many tabs "open" is the best. For instance I use KM goanna now with 80+tabs and a 800Mb-1.2Gb of Ram used under WinXP 32bit. As already pointed out the older version of ONetba works in Firefox pre-quantum, and current Palemoon.

I tried tablistia (thanks for that) but in the KM Goanna version seems does not produce any list.

Compare with the above tablistia screenshot, Onetab allows to see the favicon of the site (useful!), it allows to clean up or update the list of tabs, which are organized by day directly from the html file it produces as extra tab.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.