Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
Hiding/collapsing network error messages?
Posted by: Carl-Robert
Date: March 26, 2019 02:30AM

Hey!

So I am using a system-wide DNS ad-block (bind9 with NXDOMAIN rules), but every blocked ad leave the ugly "could not connect to xxxx, try again" default error message to the area. I think that (x)html file resides inside the omni.ja package.

In Firefox I remember a long time ago there was a way to have custom error messages with extensions overriding whatever file was responsible of showing that ugly error, but what about K-Meleon? Omni.ja gets changed every update so manually extracting+tweaking+compressing every week sounds more trouble than worth.

Would it be possible to adapt the old Adblock.css to hiding those? Not sure if they get assigned identifiable css rule.

I'm trying to find an alternative to running an actual adblock (heavy) on K-Meleon just to hide these already blocked placeholders.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hiding/collapsing network error messages?
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 26, 2019 04:19PM

Note that those aren't placeholders. What you have discovered is the huge amount of iframes that pages uses to embed third party websites, usually ads, and where you blocked their domains through your "hosts" file (hosts, dns, is in essence the same) you found a normal load error page instead.

Besides create your custom CSS file (I can't provide my own rules that are way specific to my country/visited sites), you could just change the behaviour of third party frames by changing the value of the preference:

permissions.default.subdocument

There are a few macro helpers around the forum that may help you accomplish it.

One is this:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,135558,135558#msg-135558

Options: ReplyQuote

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.