Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
Useragent and Whatsapp
Posted by: Newsy
Date: September 06, 2022 01:28AM

Hi!
I installed the K-Meleon browser on my mom's computer. It is an old Dell Inspiron 1520 with just 1gb of RAM. The newer browsers don't work, so I was very happy to discover that K-Meleon requires even lower RAM.

My question here is about the useragent 2018 extension.

I have setup all the sites my mom visits frequently, except for whatsapp. Apparently the website version forces everyone to use the common browsers. I did some research and discovered the useragent 2018 macro. I don't think it is working though, as 1. whatsapp still doesn't open and 2. I don't see the Useragent button alongside the Kill Flash and Clear Cache etc.

In the Tools menu, I now have two User Agents. 1. User Agent 2. User Agent Mode.

I somehow figured out how to edit the user agent. Like when I go to Help and then About K-Meleon, it shows the useragent string that I added. But nothing works.

I have tried:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/80.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 Firefox/58.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/105.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 Firefox/58.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/102.0.5005.63 Safari/537.36

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Chrome/105.0.5.195.102 Firefox/58.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/666.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 Firefox/58.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:104.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/104.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.117 Safari/537.36

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.5 Firefox/52.9 K-Meleon/76.4.6

I even created the general.useragent.override.web.whatsapp.com and tried all the above combos. Whatsapp is stuck at Update Firefox, Update Google Chrome or We recommend these browsers.

Can someone pls tell me where I am going wrong. I would really appreciate it.

My mom can no longer see whatsapp on her phone, so having the web version will really help her.

Thank you in advance.
Newsy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Useragent and Whatsapp
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: September 07, 2022 12:54AM

Newsy
1. whatsapp still doesn't open and

[...]

Can someone pls tell me where I am going wrong. I would really appreciate it.

My mom can no longer see whatsapp on her phone, so having the web version will really help her.

You are doing nothing wrong.

Simple said, mainstream sites requires latest browser versions, and that means Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

I know is not what you want to hear, but, if whatsapp stopped working on her phone, it might be because it is "obsolete" and fails on the same said in the above line, so, mainstream sites requires the latest browser, and that requires the latest mobile OS version, and, that, in the end, requires the latest phone model, so, you'll need a brand new device sad smiley

And if the computer isn't powerful enough, or any other reason, to run the latest mainstream browsers..., well, you'll need or a newer OS version or a new computer as well sad smiley

Newsy
2. I don't see the Useragent button alongside the Kill Flash and Clear Cache etc.

In the Tools menu, I now have two User Agents. 1. User Agent 2. User Agent Mode.

I can't tell confused smiley I don't use that version.

Siria, the developer of that user agent macro, rarely comes now to the forum, but you can try ask it on its thread, why happens that:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,143898

I'm currently using this one (not sure if it was compatible with K-meleon 74 with Goanna engine):
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,143209

I guess siria's one was a mod of this one. Can't remember.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2022 12:55AM by JohnHell.

Posted by: Newsy
Date: September 07, 2022 08:47AM

Hello John,
I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my message.

It is really irritating that sites like whatsapp have these forced functionalities. Not everyone needs or can afford new computers.

My mom is nearly 80 years old. The problem she has with whatsapp isn't the program itself, but that she can't read the text messages anymore. The largest font size is also not good for her.

On a computer, you can really zoom in and make the text words big, which would help her a lot. I did buy her a 10" tablet, but she doesn't like to use it, says it is too heavy.

Hence me installing this browser as she also doesn't want to change the computer since she says she is used to it.

Anyway, I thank you again for the reply. Hopefully someone in the other forums can help. Else, I will just admit defeat. smiling smiley

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: September 07, 2022 03:00PM

Newsy
It is really irritating that sites like whatsapp have these forced functionalities. Not everyone needs or can afford new computers.

I totally understand you. Just telling the sad reality of nowadays Internet/computing.

After all, most of us around this forum are in the same situation.

Newsy
Hence me installing this browser as she also doesn't want to change the computer since she says she is used to it.

If K-meleon with Goanna engine is the one that you are using, and is not capable (), you could try one of the other browsers adapted by roytam with newer browsers engines:
https://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/

If she got used to K-meleon, it could be defeating in some cases, but try some. Newmoon, for example, I don't use Whatsapp myself, but might be around ~500-600MB of RAM with the site fully loaded.

If you you have over 500MB of free RAM, could be a chance, and works back as of Windows XP SP2.

Or just upgrade with another 1GB module and that would be enough, not awesome, but enough, if the laptop allows it.

Just giving you options smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2022 03:02PM by JohnHell.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.