Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
Description of extensions?
Posted by: 888
Date: October 11, 2009 09:56PM

I think it would be good idea if we could have maybe a sticky in this forum with all extensions described as what they do? I don't mean the obvious ones of course, but perhaps for some of the more obscure ones.

I was confused myself between ConstantIP and DisplayIP extensions (I needed the one that add IP address to the window behind page name) so I after I installed them I took screenshots of both and I keep small jpegs with same name as extension for my future reference. I think sharing it could be good idea for anyone new to K-Meleon?

for example this way (with link and description):

DispIP (IP WhoIS displaybar)

displays your local machine ip and the current website ip in the statusbar. the plus edition also displays the website ip in the titlebar
menu entry: -
extra notes: -
versions supported: 1.1.x - 1.5.x

or just simple way with picture only (since no written description is actually needed in some cases):

ConstIP

IMO it could help many users since supposedly 1 picture is worth 1000 words eye rolling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2009 10:03PM by 888.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Description of extensions?
Posted by: siria
Date: October 11, 2009 10:11PM

I absolutely agree with the 1000 words for a picture grinning smiley, but with tons of extensions and macros existing (100-300??), growing daily, this would probably become a loooong, looooooong thread here ;-) So perhaps better to add them to the extensions archives and wikis, where they belong?
Perso, I'd also find it nice to have a little screenshot in the zip, for later reference :-)
Btw in Alains fr/en archive on geckozone.org he also has lots of screenshots and other details described, very nice too :-)

Date: October 11, 2009 10:30PM

It would become very looooong thread indeed, as expected, that's the idea since this is forum and it wouldn't matter here? (as I don't think we want to have gazillion of no-matter-how-small pictures clogging Extensions Central pages and making them bloated?)

Posted by: jsnj
Date: October 11, 2009 10:38PM

Was thinking the same. Most of the extensions (if not all) have a previously posted forum post w/pictures. So all that would be needed is to cross-reference from the forum posts to extensions central. A simple link displaying "More Info" or "Comments/Questions" to the forum post underneath the description on the extensions central page should do the trick. The download link in the forum post would just need to be changed to the new ext central link. Would probably also be a good idea to move the forum posts from the General section to the new extensions forum. I can try and gather up the forum posts if disrupted doesn't feel like it. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2009 10:43PM by jsnj.

Date: October 12, 2009 01:25AM

Yup, adding link to a post on the forum describing the extension (and possible bug discussion/solution) is probably best solution IMHO.

I don't know if Extensions Central pages can be edited by anyone (as old KM webpages were) but if so - I can help finding original posts from forum and add their links beside the extension's name on Extensions Central pages.

What "format" we want it in?
I'd suggest i.e.

Extension Name - - INFO <-- link to forum post

Since there is wealth of information and descriptions on geckozone perhaps we could utilize it too?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2009 01:29AM by 888.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: October 12, 2009 04:24PM

jsnj
try and gather up the forum posts if disrupted doesn't feel like it. smiling smiley

doesn't feel like it at all grinning smiley

the website is currently been translated into polish(thanks to matt) and possibly soon into russian.. i don't want to make any major changes as not to discourage the translators with major layout changes.. the translators will not be just translating but uploading and maintaining the website pages. i think it's better for now to keep it inside the forum.. maybe in the future we can have a camera icon beside each one which will open(javascript grr) a small popup or embed snapshot of the extension in action. the snapshots must be perfect.. that means they should all be done on the same system with the exact layout, preferably using kmeleon's default skin(upcoming aura)

edit: unfortunately wiki aps are no longer available to newer projects..and even if they were, i have no idea how to implement then.. needs a web developer not a designer and they will require additional things like adding cookies and logons etc.. which i'm not so sure about.. kmext is a small website and right to the point..the pages are very simple html, even supported by netscape 2 and ie 3 smiling smileythis makes it very easy to quickly add an extension or edit the page or add more pages by following a simple template. there are about 8 people i think who have all the site details/upload and project password and they can maintain it..it's an open project and i'm just a contributor.. all ideas are welcome but i think for now, it's important to translate the website into at least the languages supported by the browser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2009 04:33PM by disrupted.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: October 13, 2009 07:46AM

Description of extensions ?

Do you think about something like that ??

smiling smiley

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2009 07:47AM by JujuLand.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: October 13, 2009 11:19PM

the idea of an extra page for every extension is good but.. most extensions don't really have that much to add a special extra page. and what's important, if we add an extra page for each extension(that;s over 200 internal pages).. i think matt will kill me (better keep things simple for now so the translators are not discouraged..once we lure them in we can add all the niceties and it will be too late for them to walk away tongue sticking out smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.