Extensions :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about K-Meleon extensions. 
readability javascript bookmarklet
Posted by: mikekkk
Date: October 27, 2009 08:12PM

I used to use the readability bookmarklet (see http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/) but can't make it work in K-meleon.
Has anyone else made it work?
thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: readability javascript bookmarklet
Posted by: desga2
Date: October 28, 2009 08:05AM

Only you need make a link in your Personal Bookmarks Toolbar:
javascript: (function(){readStyle='style-newspaper';readSize='size-large';readMargin='margin-wide';_readability_script=document.createElement('SCRIPT');_readability_script.type='text/javascript';_readability_script.src='http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/js/readability.js?x='+(Math.random());document.getElementsByTagName('head'winking smiley[0].appendChild(_readability_script);_readability_css=document.createElement('LINK');_readability_css.rel='stylesheet';_readability_css.href='http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/css/readability.css';_readability_css.type='text/css';_readability_css.media='screen';document.getElementsByTagName('head'winking smiley[0].appendChild(_readability_css);_readability_print_css=document.createElement('LINK');_readability_print_css.rel='stylesheet';_readability_print_css.href='http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/css/readability-print.css';_readability_print_css.media='print';_readability_print_css.type='text/css';document.getElementsByTagName('head'winking smiley[0].appendChild(_readability_print_css);})();

All text in same line.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2009 08:06AM by desga2.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 28, 2009 12:48PM

For those of us using Favorites rather than bookmarks, the code from desga2 can be put in a hotlink. It works quite well from there. Thanks much to desga2 for listing the code.

Date: October 28, 2009 02:13PM

I have it in the toolbar but when I click on it I get a new empty tab. There must be something wrong with my configuration but I can't find out what.

Posted by: blackdaemon
Date: October 28, 2009 07:24PM

I guess you have enabled the setting for opening Netscape bookmarks in new tab.
Unfortunately this setting will open new tab also for any bookmarklet.
I had same problem for GMarks bookmarklet.

Date: October 29, 2009 10:32AM

Thanks blackdaemon - don't know how I missed that.
I have now identified the problem using the error console and bookmarks edit - the javascript is too long to fit in the url field by 14 characters.
What do I do about that?
thanks

Posted by: Matt
Date: November 02, 2009 06:09PM

It's a pity K-M can't handle long bookmarklets sad smiley. And there is bunch of usfull bookmarklets out there... hope it will be improved in future releases.

This one is cool: dual view smiling smiley

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 03, 2009 12:58AM

@ mikekkk and matt

Try putting the code in a hotlink. It does not seem to have the size limitation there.

Readability v1.0.1
Posted by: jsnj
Date: November 03, 2009 03:24AM

Addon/Extension for K-Meleon v1.1 & 1.5

DOWNLOAD & INSTALL (Setup File) Restart K-M after installing.

Readability is a simple tool that makes reading on the Web more enjoyable by removing the clutter around what you're reading. Left-Click the toolbar/button to view text through Readability. Right-Click the button to configure the style. Also available via the context menu and the View menu. Javascript required.

Enjoy! smiling smiley

COMMENTS/QUESTIONS welcomed.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 01:20AM by jsnj.

Attachments: readabilityss.png (4 KB)   K-M(X)_Readability_1.0.0.zip (25.6 KB)  
Posted by: disrupted
Date: November 04, 2009 04:45PM

readability added to enhancements

Date: November 04, 2009 06:45PM

JamesD
Try putting the code in a hotlink. It does not seem to have the size limitation there.

Yep, hotlink doesn't have the limitation. I'm gonna try out Your extension, jsnj 'cause it offers more features than putting the code in a hotlink.

Date: November 07, 2009 01:48PM

Readability works great, thanks jsnj. Only the Error Console isn't happy with GetReadOptions{.

Date: November 07, 2009 03:36PM

Matt
Readability works great, thanks jsnj. Only the Error Console isn't happy with GetReadOptions{.

Glad you like. Error console's a picky lil b*tch isn't it tongue sticking out smiley I forgot the ; at the end of line 11 after defining the $_readability variable. Not gonna update the addon/extension just for that though since it doesn't really effect performance.

Date: November 07, 2009 05:48PM

it's alright, i added the semicolon and updated to kmext.
thanks matt and jsnj

i hate semicolons myself, but for 1.1.x it's important because the error console pops error messages at startup.. now that's the real bitch grinning smiley

Date: November 07, 2009 07:44PM

Thanks disrupted. I test the macros on v1.1 before posting them and that missed semicolon doesn't cause any startup alerts. Shrug.

Date: November 07, 2009 09:16PM

maybe dorian updated it in 1.1.6? i test with 1.1.4 to ensure backwards compatibility as much as possible because there's a certain someone who refuses to update from 1.1.3 (yes.. you know who you are tongue sticking out smiley)

Posted by: soccerfan
Date: November 09, 2009 08:21PM

disrupted
maybe dorian updated it in 1.1.6? i test with 1.1.4 to ensure backwards compatibility as much as possible because there's a certain someone who refuses to update from 1.1.3 (yes.. you know who you are tongue sticking out smiley)

Who? Me? smiling smiley
PS: Thanks for looking out for us 1.1.x folks!

soccerfan

Date: November 09, 2009 09:36PM

tongue sticking out smiley i was joshing i use 1.1.x too

Re: Readability v1.0.1
Date: June 22, 2010 01:21AM

Version 1.0.1 updated to include their new style & size options and their latest favicon for the toolbar button.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 01:22AM by jsnj.

Date: July 07, 2010 08:09AM

Nice, I like the new favicon, thank you, jsnj. I don't even have the courage to ask you to port http://readable-app.appspot.com/setup.html

Date: July 08, 2010 06:09AM

Matt
Nice, I like the new favicon, thank you, jsnj. I don't even have the courage to ask you to port http://readable-app.appspot.com/setup.html

LOL. Bit busy this week, but I'll take a look sometime next week and see if it's doable, unless disrupted wants to do it. He usually pops'm out quickly smiling smiley

Date: July 09, 2010 02:44PM

No rush at all winking smiley. I'm very satisfied with Readability but it's nice to have an alternative. Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Aldous11
Date: September 03, 2010 09:14AM

Matt
No rush at all winking smiley. I'm very satisfied with Readability but it's nice to have an alternative. Thanks in advance.

same here dude...also satisfied with Readability.

Aldous

Posted by: panzer
Date: December 28, 2010 08:57AM
Posted by: D
Date: August 30, 2011 08:15PM

i want this notforest in macros. can made it anyone? readibility now is shareware. booo...sad smiley

Posted by: D
Date: August 30, 2011 08:23PM

That Readable looks good too. but i can't use it in k-m. sad smiley(((

Date: August 31, 2011 12:11AM

D
That Readable looks good too. but i can't use it in k-m. sad smiley(((

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,110366