NoScript
Posted by: Zockervogel
Date: December 19, 2009 12:27PM

Hi,

where can i find NoScript for K-Meleon.

wo finde ich das FirefoxAddon NoScript für K-Meleon (nutzeV 1.5.3 WIN)
Oder gibt es eine Installationsanleitung des FF Addons für K-Meleon.

Zockervogel

Re: NoScript
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: December 19, 2009 12:58PM

You can find it on KMES pages and Kext pages too.

My port is a little older than the one made by desga2.

Look at the note in this forum

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: December 19, 2009 06:06PM

thanks,

i allready was searching, but i don' t find it.
Do you have a link for me ?

Zockervogel

Posted by: siria
Date: December 19, 2009 06:33PM

Problem ist bekannt, es gibt 2 aktuelle Archive, die aber leider schwer zu finden sind :-( Hier ist der Direktlink bei jujuland:

http://extensions.geckozone.org/KMES-NoScriptEn

Und hier ging es um dasselbe Thema, mit ein paar allgemeinen Tips...
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,97463

Date: December 19, 2009 08:06PM

Danke !

NoScipt habe ich nun installiert.
Wenn ich bei den Optionen nun etwas ändere kann ich das leider nicht speichern.

Gibt es da einen Trick ?
Wo werden denn die White und Blackliste gespeichert ?

Zockervogel

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: December 19, 2009 09:32PM

If you choose the version on KMES, the installer make all the job, and after reloading K-Meleon, you'll have an icon in the toolbar, and a menu under Tools.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: siria
Date: December 19, 2009 09:59PM

He says he can change the options, just not save them...
Perhaps the loader not restarted...? Or sometimes people say they needed to restart windows...? Or that components thing involved...? Or Policies Manager installed...?

Posted by: panzer
Date: December 21, 2009 08:07PM

http://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/internet-webware-and-networking/2121-k-meleon-firefox-comparison-and-history.html

...if you use the noscript addon..please remove it. this addon is overhyped and it's not really a great extension(the settings for what it does are already in firefox prefs), but the problem is something is really fishy about this code and there's something not right about mr. maone.. i don't want to sound paranoid but something is wrong when an extension that merely controls javascript elements requires an update every couple of days.

... my main concerns with noscript is; as we were porting the extension to make it work with kmeleon, we have discovered a lot of weird and unneeded coding (some may even regard as malicious)..it's without doubt that mr. malone has a hidden agenda.

Is this true or not?

Posted by: Yogi
Date: December 21, 2009 10:49PM

panzer
something is wrong when an extension that merely controls javascript elements requires an update every couple of days.

it's without doubt that mr. malone has a hidden agenda.

It's less hidden:

Posted by: disrupted
Date: December 22, 2009 08:02AM

i really hate that post..i sound like a fanboy but it's in the wrong place, i was responding in a completely different thread to few guys making weird assumptions about k-meleon, like it's a miracle a gecko browser is so responsive and fast..they had no idea about the core differences between the 2 browsers and the moderator decided to cut out my post and create a new thread with it

anyway..yes it's true panz, i'm not sure about alain's port because that was an old version and probably less malevolent but i was talking about his latest release with al the extra options and features, when i tried to convert it i found lots of websites "whitelisted" inside the js..all advertising and tracking domains, that means that you can never actually block scripts from those sites. the addon itself is made to connect to noscript;s home everytime it's activated that means everytime you run the browser and not necessarily to check for updates..all those "settings" are intertwined with the main js code making it almost impossible to remove and ofcourse he did not include an op-out anywhere in the options xul.

the guy is out to make some money..there's absolutely no doubt about that and there isn't anything wrong with that if its with user's consent..and consent is a very important word here.. that means there should a clear TOS indicating this activity, he should include an opt-out and it should not be the default setting but after a user has checked in an option fo it..this way, it will be more like donationware and less spyware..though it's still not a decent way to make money because no matter how you look at it, it's a violation of privacy and bandwidth

his other addons are coded similarly but far less intrusive.. i also took a peekk at flashgot, same bullshit. obviously noscript is his biggest earner so he focused all malware coding into it and we all know what happened when palant merely added a subscription that affected his money-making domains which is palant's right in an addon which blocks advertisements... he simply went berserk and quickly made updates to render adp useless and ultimately made amo publish the no-surprise statement http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/2009/05/01/no-surprises/ when maone was getting out of control..they were very soft and merely gave him a slap on the hand when they should have completely banned him from developing addons which also sez something about mozilla..they are all in it together and if you read reviews on cnet and the other big software sites about noscript, it's like subliminal messages that if you don't install noscript then you're out on your own.. so ff users get brainwashed twice, first into using that bullshit browser that very soon its minimun requirements will be like adobe premiere and secondly into using noscript so everybody can make some money. almost every ff user thinks that without noscript their pc will instantly be infected and the first thing they ask for when tring kmeleon is noscript..if there's noscript, they will not cange their browser..and it has to be noscript, not an equivalent or something similar in functions..it's either noscript or bust which just shows how brainwashed they are

maone is probably making thousands of dollars every week from the petty cash he collects from every unaware user, no problem in making money but in his schemes giorgio is clearly not an honest individual

Date: December 22, 2009 10:36AM

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/8h4zo/noscript_security_or_malware/

IgnoranceIndicatorMa 20 points21 points22 [-]

I know you need $$$, and a dialogue box asking if you could add an exception for your web page would of been accepted for me.

I think you realise now how much going behind the back pisses people off, and how under the spot light you really are now.

* perma-link
* parent

Giorgio_Maone 21 points22 points23 points 7 months ago* [+] (12 children)

Giorgio_Maone 21 points22 points23 points 7 months ago* [-]

I'm not realizing it now. I believed the many places (install pages, release notes landing page, FAQ) where people was informed were enough, but I was wrong and I'm apologizing. I realized it yesterday, half an hour after releasing 1.9.2.4. That's why 1.9.2.5 is already on its way with its prompt.

* perma-link
* parent
milesmi
If you are in need of the revenue from ADs (i.e., it is not just a bonus income), I strongly suggest you to go find a real job (or a better job if your current job isn't paying enough).

Open source and revenue from ADs are two things that doesn't mix well. Any unsatisfied user can just fork your project, remove the cripple/malware and the ADs, and redistribute it. It would be very damaging to you (people would move to the alternativa) and there is nothing you could do about it, since you already signed this contract when you released your open-source code to the public.

After reading the article, I went to check with my own eyes; and I found, in the NoScript files installed on my Firefox, precisely in noscript.jar(/content/noscript/MRD.js), among the obfuscated strings there are ABP's object identifier ("@mozilla.org/adblockplus;1") and a regex that matches your domains. This fits precisely my definition of malware.

You lost my trust completely (and many other users too). I'm not going to install any software from you anymore on my computer. Nothing will convince me that you won't do it again, or that other software from you don't have the same kind of code.

You just did a pretty dangerous step to a very dark direction, where not very nice people are waiting for you and your programming skills. And learn that you shouldn't fight AD blockers. People who install AD blockers do it for a reason, the don't expect to see ADs, the won't click your ADs, and if you force the ADs into them, it will shoot back at you.

This guy has a track record, unfortunately, and he has more than just a little bit of weasel in his genetic code.

As far as his "I'm sorry" goes, well... we will just have to wait and see what his "fix" for his self-inflicted problem actually does.

I'm filing this one under "I'll believe it when I see it."

Date: December 28, 2009 07:51PM

Disrupted, if FF one day kicks out XUL, would they have to use macros? Is there any other way? What do other non-xul browsers use?

Date: December 28, 2009 08:36PM

i don't think mozilla will ever abandon xul.. so many developers for addons and such, not to mention their own are depending on xul..and let's be honest, no one will use that browser without its 1000+ addons, everyone knows it's a resource hog.. even the fanboys can't defend it anymore, their only excuse is the addons.

i don't know of any browser giving the user so much power over menus and toolbars through a macro language. in ie, you can manipulate the menus/toolbars through the registry to a certain limit and it's very tedious, you have to link commands through htm pages which contain js functions to make your extension.. not exactly user-friendly..and one registry restoration and all your settings will be gone.

in ff, seamonkey etc, you can remove but not add menu entries by editing the chrome.css to add it has to be through xml in a jar(addon).. other browsers do not give you any control other than what can be added through a plugin or extension.. but the end-user does not have a versatile macro to easily make their own extensions.

Date: December 30, 2009 01:53PM

Disrupted, instead of your recomendation: Km, Opera, Chrome wouldn't it be better: Km, Opera, SRW Iron or Chromium?

Date: December 30, 2009 04:35PM

actually neither.. qtweb now is the better webkit browser for windows, arora used to be my favourite but it's quite behind.

from a non-bias view, kmeleon comes first because gecko is a better engine than presto.. opera comes second mainly because it still supports win9x and more feature-rich than the webkit browsers.

chromium clones are inferior to google's chrome.. i know they are better when it comes to privacy but from technical point-of-view, chrome is better built and more stable than the derivatives.

programming-wise, ie8 is way ahead than chrome and webkit browsers but it has the disadvantage of the trident engine. trident 4.0 isn't too bad as a rendering engine, it's much more standard-compliant than previous tridents and remember it has many parts from the tasman engine, the original engine for ie5 for mac systems.. nack then it was considered the best in standard compliance and was the only serious offering for mac but the problem with trident is not rendering but the vulnerabilities which makes it a headache and a big no-no.

the only thing going for chrome & its cronies, is the v8 js engine because it's quite fast and that appears to be the current craze in the browser wars/fanboy cults..it's not stability or features or responsiveness or resources, it's all about the js speed and how browser x scores in benchmarks compared to browser y.. suddenly browsers are nothing more than graphic cards

iron se, chromeplus etc have worse redraw problems than google's, more prone to crashes..if you know how, you can crash them in 1 second, maybe a regular user won't crash it so easily but if you can crash a browser due to something completely unrelated to the website or a plugin..just because you exposed its guts, that shows how poorly coded it is. chromium clones are like a battered old car; one speed bump and it breaks apart

the problem with skinning api is you either do it perfectly and without a flaw or you don't. skinning has been around since windows 95, it's nothing new but there's a big difference between skinning a notepad application or an mp3 player with a static window content and a browser which has to handle a lot in its constantly changing window..it's just stupid

here are some nice snapshots of iron and chromeplus

the browser separates in 3 pieces after a quick restore/maximise: statusbar gets stuck at the bottom, the main window breaks off from the titlebar which insists to stay maximised

oops, my boobs are showing:

titlebar breaks off the main window frame after dragging it across the screen-too fast for the skin..still can't decide where the window went and ofcourse the boobs spill out from the skin

naturally all this rubbish will lead to this:

Date: December 30, 2009 04:48PM

I am doing some extensive test on how much RAM browsers are using when no tabs are opened ( I have dial-up at home so I cannot make any other test).

You can't believe how much Ram some browsers are using. For now, main contender for 1 spot is Flock with 51 MB ram used. Some browsers use less than a tenth of that. grinning smiley

I just love seeing xul browsers fighting for 1. spot. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 04:55PM by panzer.

Date: December 30, 2009 08:33PM

flock is just firefox with preinstalled extensions..it's performance will be the same as ff with those extra addons

if you really want to see xul in all its glory; download and test songbird.. backup your registry before running it.. you never know and a couple of prozacs wouldn't harm either

Date: December 30, 2009 09:19PM

Yeah, but the difference is big: Flock 51 MB, FF 30,9 MB.

Posted by: slayer
Date: December 31, 2009 01:55AM

I suppose that all those extension will require "some" RAM.

If I understand correctly, KM also needs some memory to allocate the Macros, but these are just text, no much is needed.

Date: December 31, 2009 01:37PM

Yeah, just some 2 MB difference on my comp.

i haven't added any add-on into Flock when I tested it. Maybe it have a lot of deafault add-ons already installed.

Care to guess who is gonna have the smalest Ram usage?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2009 02:20PM by panzer.

Posted by: Daveski17
Date: January 31, 2010 06:35PM

I've recently added NoScript to Firefox thinking I was improving its security. I didn't know much about it (NoScript) until recently. I don't use Firefox that much anyway, is it worth me keeping NoScript if it is so bad? sad smiley

EDIT ~ I've uninstalled it from Firefox. I don't really think that I needed it anyway, I rarely use Firefox as I have K-Meleon!

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2010 06:43PM by Daveski17.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: February 01, 2010 03:01PM

Daves,

Just my preference, I use AdBlock instead of NoScript.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2010 03:02PM by ndebord.

Date: February 01, 2010 03:57PM

I've downloaded Adblock in the past but I couldn't find a UK filter for it. I didn't spend that much time with it. I don't honestly use Firefox that much & K-Meleon & Opera do everything I want so much better & faster. smiling smiley

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Date: February 01, 2010 05:08PM

Davy, use Policies Manager instead of NoScript.

Posted by: Matt
Date: February 01, 2010 05:50PM

NoScript is for advanced users. I don't use it, because it has some options I don't need and... entirely know ;-). Besides it gets more and more bigger, 450KB and growing. I'm satisfied with Policies Manager.
Because of NoScript's popularity many sites display a message like "noscript detected" when you browse wit js turned off :/.

Date: February 02, 2010 09:47AM

panzer

I've uninstalled NoScript, is Policies Manager a Mozilla extension?

EDIT: I've found it! It looks experimental. How exactly does it differ from NoScript?

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2010 09:59AM by Daveski17.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: February 05, 2010 05:06PM

Matt
NoScript is for advanced users. I don't use it, because it has some options I don't need and... entirely know ;-). Besides it gets more and more bigger, 450KB and growing. I'm satisfied with Policies Manager.
Because of NoScript's popularity many sites display a message like "noscript detected" when you browse wit js turned off :/.

I no longer use NoScript on K-meleon. seems to be the cause of the crashes on a Vista computer when I close KM 1.5.3. almost all of the KM crashes in Vista have gone away after removing the NoScript files for K-meleon.

Daveski17
panzer

I've uninstalled NoScript, is Policies Manager a Mozilla extension?

EDIT: I've found it! It looks experimental. How exactly does it differ from NoScript?

can Policies Manager be used in K-meleon browsers? if so, how do you install it in K-meleon?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2010 05:07PM by 4td8s.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: February 06, 2010 01:51AM

Policy manager is now made for KM. Look for it in the extensions. http://kmext.sourceforge.net/

Posted by: dabiank
Date: March 14, 2010 05:17PM

NoScript doesn't work with K-Meleon 1.5.4: after opening options, "OK" button doesn't work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 05:18PM by dabiank.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.