General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Help needed from Win 9x/ME users
Posted by: rmn
Date: June 03, 2004 06:26AM

Here's a message from Ulf in the dev mailing list:

<quote>

Anyhow, today I looked at bug 681 (KM does not release ressources) and uploaded a patched bookmarks.dll to http://kmeleon.sf.net/files/unstable/bookmarks.dll

The same fix should be applied to the other bookmarking plugins as well. If it works.. But I cannot test it myself.

Do you think you will be able to test it? Or find someone who can? (it might take a win95/98 machine to see the old problem and verify whether it is gone now or not. I've never seen the leak myself) Some resource measuring tool might help as well.. Do you know any? I recall GDIUsage from bugzilla: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=199443 or perhaps something from http://www.sysinternals.com/

</quote>

Help is also needed in testing the FAQ, trouble #1 ("Why do I get an error messages on Windows 95/98 or Windows NT related to MFC42.dll? Why don't the text menus display when K-Meleon starts?"). First, you need an old version of MFC42.dll that comes with Win9x (Anyone know of a place to get it? I hope it's legal to be distributed). After that, get Dependency Walker (freeware). I haven't used Dependency Walker, but the instruction is detailed in the Website.

Reference: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=4778521&forum_id=2617

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help needed from Win 9x/ME users
Posted by: guenter
Date: June 03, 2004 09:32AM

@rmn
I downloaded new bookmarks.dll - and intend to run it here.

Question: will a "new virgin" install of ME have the needed configuration?

IFF:
(dll and so on) - I could try to make that Install on an extra partition?
i can probably reactivate an old p500 (that has many partitions) for that
// also: I will only have time on weekend to configure and use that machine.

ERGO: If results are time sensitive someone else must do it or Also do it.
NEXT: what kind of content pages are most likely to crowd memory....

ELSE: i will need contact to someone that uses needed system and exchange files.
any suggestions where other people likely to help can contact or be contact?
greetings from Hannover

p. s. if You stumbel over a menus for next release send it to me!
I am trying to make translation.js for menus, so that people with no programing or editing files experiance can adapt to their language.

p.p.s sorry that I can not help more and have to ask questions sad smiley

Date: June 03, 2004 05:24PM

> will a "new virgin" install of ME have the needed configuration?

Um.. I don't know.. I don't remember seeing the MFC42.dll problem when I was using Win98, maybe that's because I've updated the system files before (or because I've forgotten about it). I can't guarantee anything with WinME; but, since 98 and ME doesn't differ that much, I think it will do.

> what kind of content pages are most likely to crowd memory

That bugzilla entry has a few alternatives on resource-heavy pages (see some of Lewis Jardine's comments). For the GDI Usage program, see the attachment from comment #9 in that page. If any Win2k user wants to test this, comment #11 has a similar app for 2k.

> if You stumbel over a menus for next release send it to me!

The most recent profile files are always available in this CVS directory.

Date: June 04, 2004 10:35AM

From the dev mailing list (not yet archived by SF.net):

You can find version 4.21.7160 of mfc42.dll in dll-files.com (http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/pop.shtml?mfc42), but I dunno if it's an 'old' version or a 'new' one... --dpb

on every w98se cd there is a mfc42.dll in the file win98_57.cab
should be the oldest one to find winking smiley
--Thomas

Date: June 04, 2004 11:15AM

hi rmn,

i was probably too tired in the morning - because i tried to write and it is not here!

i have a floopy win95 still around, only some diskettes are brocken.
I willl try to install or extract (that should be quite an old mfc42.dll?).

I hope I succed with installing win95 on older pc here. (or mixture if ME and win95).
else a mfc42.dll in the file win98_57.cab -is enough info! i will ask local friends.

For people that like to test as well, You possibly can get older mfc42.dll working with k-m by puting that into k-m folder. Right after start of pc - when no other program
has loaded newer dll - k-m should load old one even when new is present at system.

I will anounce whether i can get very old dll! Best regards & weekend!

Date: June 05, 2004 03:35PM

@rmn [my mail 1770.779 (at) htp-tel.de no spaces around at winking smiley}

Using mfc42.dll (version 4.21.7325) from win98 first edition German will give error:

fehlender export (something like missing export)

mfc42.dll:6714

Browser does not run at the moment. i am looking whether i did anything wrong -
and try to fix it. i am running it under WinME, mfc42.dll in k-m folder as described above, since i did not manage to get old pc going yet.

Using: bookmarks as above, downloaded as described; i get accute resource shortages when testing my own page - for a change i want to make, while writing an article in Forum pc froze.

I also had 40 mb memory usage after a couple of minutes when downloading pics - measured with memload.exe (that is about 20 mb too high).

I will try that with my page using other musik plugins & so on with a virgin install.
I suspect it can be my system // who else can try.
I would best use an alternative memory manager for further test - i suspect system not bookmark dll. Who know such mem.sys?

Hannover, Saturday 17.27 h CET, my regards & best weekend

p. s. I will give further account - in case i get better differnt results.

Date: June 05, 2004 04:04PM

trying to locate another mfc42.dll i found the following! maybe it interstes You;
perhaps we should ship a mfc42 with k-m,
he can install this dll in his folder to work?!

http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/22788/22788.html

quote:
You know the scenario. You install a new application and another application on the system suddenly stops working. You make sure you installed the new application correctly and, perhaps, even reinstall the program. But every time you run an installation routine, something else on the system breaks. Welcome to DLL hell.

The DLL hell syndrome gets it name from the seemingly infinite variety of DLL combinations that can cause an application to break and often happens because of conflicts among multiple versions of the same DLL. Often, the culprit is an application artifact that uses an undocumented feature that a specific DLL version provides. In some cases, incompatibilities between old and new software versions that are running at the same time cause the problems. Whatever the cause, tracking down the offending DLL can be an IT nightmare.

Microsoft has created the DLL Help Database tool to help IT staff (administrators, developers, and Help-desk personnel) manage the DLL nightmare. The database contains a list of DLLs in common Microsoft applications. You can search the database in various ways, including by application and by DLL name. This approach can help you understand error messages that reference DLLs or solve problems caused by a new application installation overwriting a key DLL.

The DLL Help Database is not for the faint of heart. To test the DLL-finding feature, I searched the database for the very common mfc42.dll. I discovered 12 versions of the file, representing almost the entire history of Windows. When I drilled down through the individual file versions and looked at version 6.0.8665.0, I discovered the version in seven applications, ranging from Windows Me to Visual Studio (VS) 6 Service Pack 5 (SP5). Those seven applications used the same version of mfc42.dll with six different file-creation dates. But this example was simple compared to mfc42.dll version 4.2.0.6.6068, which I found in 35 applications with six different file creation dates, including two creation dates that were only 3 days apart.

In most cases, using newer versions of application-installed DLLs won't cause problems, and you can't do much about all the DLL versions that are written to the system 32 directory. But using the DLL Help Database as a diagnostic tool can give you an edge when you're trying to cope with the proliferation of DLL versions. The database is an interesting research tool that gives developers and dedicated IT folks a lesson in the evolution of Microsoft applications. While searching the database, I felt that sort of uncomfortable fascination that one feels when driving by a car accident: You hope that there are no injuries, but you can't help but wonder how things ended up like this.

Date: June 05, 2004 04:53PM

hi rmn,
test install is working (more or less).
but with a much more recent mfc42.dll - i did not get it into that half running state - that You wanted me to look at, sorry! -

So i have only the descriptions of people affected //which You alrady know.

I still try to locate a mfc42 from about 98se - the link You gave is 404 or so at the moment. alternative sources are also out - i will give up for today.

IMHO:
k-m is linked to missing export MFC42.DLL.
// to translate an unqualified & unfounded opinion to English
- that is not present in this earlier dll version?

A reference to Ordinal 6714 may also be in the error.
// but beat me if i knew what that meant in German.

regards - i will be off pc-keys for 8 h or so.

Date: June 06, 2004 04:53PM

The link is this. I've tried using that on XP and it reports an error, "The ordinal 6931 could not be located in the dynamic link library MFC42.DLL." Opening k-meleon.exe with Dependency Walker reveals errors with mfc42.dll on ordinals 6467 - 6931 (all with "Function: N/A").

I don't know if it's the error you get in Win9x, and I surely don't know how the DW info can be useful, so we'll need a real test on 9x.

Date: June 07, 2004 05:23AM

downloaded it: will try it later today. thx - i found only corupted links this WE.

i will also try to get the other (old) pc working under win 95 or 98 (drivers missing).
at the moment i have only this ME machine, where i can not change much - else
i can not go online anymore.

well they might want to consider shipping a dll along. i feel it is squandered work time
when highly skilled people such as Ulf and Romanito chase bugs instead of shipping dll that belongs to k-m like all othe devs do with their programs.

Does not mean that i do not continue testing as good as i can!
regards

Date: June 07, 2004 05:45AM

rmn please have a look into this thread:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=2&i=2987&t=2987
i will cross post to guide him here.
hope one of You two will read!
regards

The Win 9x/ME memory leak
Posted by: Loz H
Date: June 14, 2004 07:15PM

While I very much appreciate the efforts of the KM crew; I'm getting a bit frustrated waiting for a KM that doesn't lock up, after a while, because of the famous Win 9x/ME memory leak. I use the web a lot and my KM locks up pretty much every day.

Does anyone have an unoffical new build that doesn't suffer from it? I guess my only other alternative is to switch back to Opera, or find another Mozilla browser that has been fixed sad smiley Any suggestions as to lightweight Mozilla browers that are fixed?

Posted by: chris
Date: September 09, 2004 12:52PM

COOL MAN even i found the same error

No crashes or error messages
Posted by: LZ
Date: September 16, 2004 06:19PM

I am running Win ME, 64 mb ram, slow dial-up connection, Celeron 633 mhz.

I am NOT getting any crashes or error messages on 082 + and I downloaded it when it was first posted with the dll's. I have not loaded any additional plugins or bookmark dll.

This is a great build and I block images to speed it up. Thanks to all of you for your hard work. I appreciate it, especially after trying about 8 different browsers looking for raw speed on an otherwise slow system.

LZ

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.