General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Gmail - New message? Help!
Posted by: michael
Date: October 24, 2005 04:15PM

When I click Compose new message in Gmail, the page is not showing up correctly. Is anyone else having this problem? How could I fix this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gmail - New message? Help!
Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 24, 2005 04:59PM

Michael,

Just did a test using KM 0.9, GRE 1.7.12 (Brian's update) and had no problems composing and sending an email through GMail.

N

Posted by: Carson
Date: October 24, 2005 06:03PM

Michael, that is a known bug with some of the K-Meleon versions. I can't quite recall, but if I remember right, it was in some of Hao and Fred's MEs.

It does not happen with K-Meleons in the GRE 1.7.x series.

And it doesn't happen in quite a few other versions by Hao. (That's why I don't recall which were the problem ones.)

The problem was never solved.

Date: October 24, 2005 06:12PM

It is discussed in this thread, but, before you get into it too much, it was just a headache.
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=26320&t=26310

And it did show up, as the thread reminds me, in some of Fred's 1.7.x K-Meleons. I suppose what I was thinking (above) was that the original "Official" K-Meleon builds, from the first 1.7.5 through all of Brian Bruns' updates to the present 1.7.12, were free from this bug.

I recommend people who really depend on K-M for reliability to use the official (downloaded from the green margin at the <--- left) either just as it is, or with Brian's update.

Then the other K-Meleons can be used for fun and experimentation, and their bugs won't hold up your serious work.

Posted by: bst82551
Date: October 24, 2005 09:29PM

Did it look like this:

http://bst82551.ath.cx/pics/SS/wtf.jpg

??

Brian

Date: October 24, 2005 09:52PM

Yea, that's exacly what it does. (the picture you posted). The thing is that I am a version downloaded from this website (official release) with Brian's latest update. Well, I might just try to reinstall it a see it that helps.

Thanks for help though. I'll let you know if it worked.

Date: October 24, 2005 10:39PM

Okay, I reinstalled KM 0.9 and Brian's GRE update to 1.7.12 and I'm still getting the same thing on Compose a new message in Gmail. Any ideas??

Date: October 24, 2005 11:08PM

I got the same thing. After about a week, I decided to be a little risque and try out one of the builds that Hao had put out. It worked like a charm. Really, security issues aren't all that bad with 1.7.11 or even with 1.7.5... so I'd recommend downgrading if you can.

Brian

Date: October 25, 2005 12:36AM

Carson,

<<I recommend people who really depend on K-M for reliability to use the official (downloaded from the green margin at the <--- left) either just as it is, or with Brian's update. >>

Really can't agree with you here. I think the only way to go is to download the official 0.9 K-Meleon, based on the 1.7.5 GRE PLUS definitely add in Brian's update to GRE 1.7.12. Just to many fixes to ignore upgrading imo.

N

Date: October 25, 2005 12:40AM

Michael,

M>> Okay, I reinstalled KM 0.9 and Brian's GRE update to 1.7.12 and I'm still getting the same thing on Compose a new message in Gmail. Any ideas??

http://people.freenet.de/CoolMcKluus/software/kmeleon/

kko's update then, if Brian's failed to help you out. Just run it on top of what you have already done.

I have seen reports that a complete update, such as kko's, can make a difference in some cases. If that doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas except to note some have talked about other versions that may help you with this.

N

Date: October 25, 2005 12:42AM

Brian,

Did you ever look to see what you might add to your little executable from KKO or Hao's builds? I ask only because there have been a small number of posts with minor problems that seem to need more files of some kind or another?

N

Date: October 25, 2005 01:27AM

*shrug* I have no idea what it could be. I know it was after installing Brian Bruns' update to 1.7..... 9?... it was 1.7.something. I am not positive about the version, but I do know it was an update from Brian Bruns. Yes yes, after about a week of that, I changed to some other build though. I have a horrible memory (already at 17 years of age... HORRIBLE!). I don't even want to imagine what state my memory will be in 20 years from now. I should start doing memory exercises, eh?

Brian

Posted by: michael aka. jamike
Date: October 25, 2005 01:52AM

hmm, interesting.... resintalling didn't help, as I mentioned before, I also tried tried complete uninstall, deleting the KM folder from program files and installing again and then importing my profile, but I still got the same thing. Only after I deleted everything INCLUDING my profile and installed again, I was able to avoid this error in composing a new message in Gmail. I dont see how the problem was in my profile, but oh well, at least I got it to work... it will take some take to get KM where I had it before, but oh well... mm, just a note, every time I reinstalled and installed again, I used the official 0.9 release from this site with Brian's update to 1.7.12 GRE...

Thanks for help guys though, I really appreciate you spent so much time trying to help me out ;-)

Date: October 25, 2005 01:57AM

Did I make a mistake earlier? I think I did. In the Gmail problem I mentioned, it was impossible to enter anything at all in "Compose." There was no I-beam or whatever you call it--the box was totally blank and torally unusable.

All the other features of Gmail did work.

I think I have never run into what you are reporting now. Sorry if I confused the issue.

For me, Gmail continues to work perfectly in 0.9 {1-7-12 /Brian Bruns}.

@Ndebord, I use the update myself, but such folk as Guenter have suggested the perils we are guarding against are not really very dangerous at all. I don't know about these things myself--I just tend to enjoy doing the updates.

You know, like a robot.
(That was just a joke ust a joke ust a joke ust a joke ust a joke. Oh darn.)
;-)

Date: October 25, 2005 03:48AM

Michael,

Something in your profile??? made Gmail fail?

Anybody else see that problem with KM and Gmail?

It's good to know you got it fixed, bad you had to to reinstall from scratch.

Hope you zipped up your config, etc., files. Some of that probably can be cut and pasted back into KM.

N

Posted by: michael aka jamike
Date: October 25, 2005 04:13AM

It wasn't that bad. Since I've only been using KM for about a week now, the customization to the original look only took me about half an hour from scratch. I have no idea what it was in my profile though that was causing this problem. Thank you guys for help again. Gmail's working fine now.

K-Meleon ROCKS!! I'm lovin' it!!!

Date: October 25, 2005 10:41PM

Michael,

I routinely keep a zipped up copy of the KM folder and all its files in another place, for those odd moments when I screw up and do something stoopid in configuring KM. Bad macro character errors comes to mind!

N

Posted by: jamike
Date: October 27, 2005 01:26AM

Yea that's what I do too, but in this case, using my profile would scew it up again. But no problem there, I reinstalled KM from scratch and customized it back to what I used to have before.

Thanks.

Date: October 28, 2005 03:52AM

Jamike,

Yes, that is a good way to go and one I use also.

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.