General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mozi-Meleon 1.3a...
Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: January 23, 2003 12:05AM

Mozi-Meleon 1.3a_A_Guide.txt
Instructions for the brave--updating K-M .7 to Moz. 1.3a engine...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kmeleon/files/Mozi-Meleon%201.3a_A_Guide.txt

(Ps. You must join the group to view the files in the group).

If you're going to try it...

****MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR WHOLE K-Meleon DIRECTORY AS INDICATED IN THE GUIDE****

And also, don't blame me for any problems; the guide is as it says--only for the brave. Any damage you do to your K-Meleon installation is not my fault and I don't have any way to ever get back your files if you mess everything up, so __MAKE A **SAFE** BACKUP TO RESTORE FROM LATER___ (<--MUCH emphasis).

Enjoy! smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mozi-Meleon 1.3a...
Date: January 23, 2003 12:09AM

P.s. It is 4 p.m. my time, right now, and I've been running on the 1.3a engine since about 9 am, with no glitches so far. smiling smiley

Posted by: asmpgmr
Date: January 23, 2003 12:57AM

Forget joining some yahoo group, here are my simple instructions for upgrading the Mozilla DLLs to a later build which I posted in the development forum:

Regarding using a later Mozilla build, this can be done manually if Mozilla is also installed by simply copying the newer DLLs (54 total) from the Mozilla directories to K-Meleon (xcopy /s /d "c:\Program Files\Mozilla\*.dll" "c:\Program Files\K-Meleon") and deleting compreg.dat and xpti.dat in K-Meleon\components so they can be rebuilt. I've done this and have been using K-Meleon 0.7 with Mozilla 1.2 final for over two weeks now with no problems.

To change the Mozilla version in the user agent string, edit c:\Program Files\K-Meleon\defaults\pref\all.js and change the release version (rv) in the line pref("general.useragent.misc", "rv:1.2"); Alternatively you can add this to prefs.js (as a user_pref) but it makes more sense to be in all.js which controls the default settings.

Date: January 23, 2003 03:54AM

Well..there is a bit more too it, but not much... for one, you don't need all the .dlls, e.g. composer.dll, though this doesn't really matter if they are all present...

As well as copy the .dlls and delete the .dats, you should also run Mozilla at least once (if you do a clean install to get the .dlls) and then copy from the Chrome dir of Mozilla to the Chrome dir od K-M, the entire folder "overlays" (you don't need all the subfolders there, either, but it doesn't hurt and is easier than getting the .rdf files by hand...), and the two jar files "pipnss.jar" and "pippki.jar" --no NOT copy the chrome.rdf in the Mozilla chrome dir, or else you get WIERD stuff like no scroll-bars. winking smiley

Next copy from the Res dir of Mozilla to the Res dir of K-M, all the .css files, open html.css and add Nick's update for displaying certain pages that looked like gibberish:

/* Fix for MSKB articles, to stop the overlapping text. */
.KBPUBV2 LI,
.KBPUBV2 OL LI,
.KBPUBV2 UL LI,
.KBPUBV2 UL UL,
.KBPUBV2 UL UL LI,
.KBPUBV2 .appliesto,
.KBPUBV2 .appliesto UL,
.KBPUBV2 .appliesto UL UL,
.KBPUBV2 .appliesto UL LI,
.KBPUBV2 .postappliesto,
.KBPUBV2 .postappliesto UL,
.KBPUBV2 .postappliesto UL UL,
.KBPUBV2 .postappliesto UL LI {margin: 5px !important;}
/*End fix*/

That's it. I only linked to the forum so that people would not read have of the post and run out and try it and get all mad at me for telling them how. winking smiley

If anyone wants the file without joining the form, it it now posted at my site:

http://monkeesage.d2g.com/Mozi-Meleon%201.3a_A_Guide.txt

P.s. asmpgmr -- I got the idea from your post and did a bit of searching on what exactly goes into Mozilla, not meaning to act like it was an original idea, props go to you for that. smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: January 23, 2003 02:53PM

The /d switch (date) on xcopy only copies files which already exist on the destination for which the source file are newer so it doesn't copy everything. The chrome stuff isn't really important since a lot of that stuff is XUL garbage and isn't used by K-Meleon. Also the chrome files are different between the two, K-Meleon uses embed.jar while Mozilla uses a bunch of .jar files. The overlayinfo subdirectories are unused by K-Meleon (I deleted them).

I did the update procedure for Mozilla 1.2 final, I will work with 1.2.1 as well since the only difference is a minor Javascript fix. I didn't try 1.3a since I don't use alpha software (unless it's something I'm developing). Assuming there are no interface differences (probably not) then it should work for 1.3 as well.

P.S. I would NOT apply any "fixes" from M$ at all.

Date: January 23, 2003 03:16PM

asmpgmr:

I forgot about xcopy switches, been a while since I was one a sys with the old command tools, but I still have it on a 98 start disk. I've been using the cygwin'd dd.exe for CLI copying in XP. smiling smiley

One small note about the overlays directory: If you delete it, it should be rebuilt at next run-time (overlays.rdf stores values about gecko's active viewports and stuff I think). This is fine for updating, 'cause it will rebuild with the new components, but I think if the old K-M overlays folder is there, it will not rebuild it, it will use the present values for the older gecko--in theory not a problem, but with 1.3a, it had some wierd element rendering (buttons were like 6 pix too big all around at google, &c.), so I suggest the copy as a step, or at least a delete of the old overlays directory to let it rebuild fresh.

Also, for 1.3a, "pipnss.jar" and "pippki.jar" needed to be updated from the old K-M ones or loading multiple layers at once (macro) crashed.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: January 23, 2003 03:45PM

MonkeeSage,

I just checked and I don't have an overlay subdirectory or overlay.rdf anywhere under \Program Files\K-Meleon, is this something new to Mozilla 1.3a ? I had an overlayinfo subdirectory with several dirs under it including messenger which definitely wasn't being used so I removed the entire subtree.

Date: January 23, 2003 04:03PM

asmpgmr,

You're correct, I deleted the directory and nothing was rebuilt, and everthing displays fine. I also was playing around with some nightly builds (for unicode), so the improper display was probably from that instead of the overlays directory as I thought. winking smiley

Sorry to bug you in that case and just repeat your own instructions, lol. smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: Stefan
Date: January 23, 2003 10:57PM

Regarding

/* Fix for MSKB articles, to stop the overlapping text. */
.KBPUBV2 LI,
.KBPUBV2 OL LI,
.KBPUBV2 UL LI,
.KBPUBV2 UL UL,
.KBPUBV2 UL UL LI,
.KBPUBV2 .appliesto,
.KBPUBV2 .appliesto UL,
.KBPUBV2 .appliesto UL UL,
.KBPUBV2 .appliesto UL LI,
.KBPUBV2 .postappliesto,
.KBPUBV2 .postappliesto UL,
.KBPUBV2 .postappliesto UL UL,
.KBPUBV2 .postappliesto UL LI {margin: 5px !important;}
/*End fix*/

Wasn't this bug fixed several months ago by Microsoft fixing their broken webpage?
At least that's what people said on Phoenix forums and why that CSS was taken down from the Phoenix help site.
I'd be very surprized if it would still be needed for K-Mel.

Date: January 24, 2003 02:25AM

Stefan:

You still need it for some sites:

http://www.chami.com/html-kit/download/

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: January 24, 2003 03:29AM

Ok, here's the deal...

I had to copy the entire Res dir from Mozilla to K-M (don't need the Samples or Throbber folders), add the update to html.css, _AND_ have \overlays\navigator\overlays.rdf, \overlays\communicator\overlays.rdf and \overlays\inspector\overlays.rdf (I think I only needed the last one because I installed the DOM inspector package with Mozilla). Then, and only then, would that test site in link load right with the 1.3a updated .dlls and K-M; now it loads perfectly for me every time.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: K
Date: January 24, 2003 12:49PM

MonkeeSage: You still need it for some sites: ]http://www.chami.com/html-kit/download/

I'm running the plain old standard download km 0.7 and I'm not seeing any problems on that page.

What is the problem supposed to be?

Date: January 24, 2003 03:02PM

Goofy text everywhere, basically. It has chunks of script everewhere and hunks that change color on mouse over and stuff like that. I dun have no idea what causes it, I just know its fixed on my K-M now too. smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: January 24, 2003 03:38PM

MonkeeSage,

You might want to mention the bit about changing the version in the useragent string to your doc (see the third message in this thread). Look at about: - without the change it still says 1.2b. Also have you tried the update with Mozilla 1.3b ?

Posted by: MaxAuthority
Date: January 24, 2003 11:07PM

Yeah!!!

Finally I have good looking form controls:-)

Hmm, if only the speed of the rendering engine would impove now...
Then I would have everything (important) from Opera and even some cool more features.

Date: January 24, 2003 11:20PM

Hmm, the right click menu on the "document" (not on a link, image, etc.) doesn't work anymore. Anyone encountering the same problems?

Date: January 25, 2003 02:46AM

asmpgmr:

Done on the version thing, that's a good point. I also indicated out that if was you who told us that its possible update K-M. smiling smiley

I haven't tried 1.3b (Mozilla) yet, I've only tried the latest unicode nightly build of 1.3a, which was glitchy; and I tried (briefly before bed last night) mfcembed 1.3b, which broke K-M (I think it was the newer .xpt components, but not sure).

So far, I have had the best success with 1.2.1 (Mozilla) ...gee, didn't someone already suggest that build? Hmm...oh, yeah, it was you, hehe. winking smiley

MaxAuthority:

Try the 1.2.1 release of Mozilla, it should have the same form controls and should be more amenable to K-M.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: January 25, 2003 01:16PM

hmm, strange - now after the reboot, the right-click menu works again smiling smiley

Date: January 25, 2003 04:37PM

MonkeeSage,

If Mozilla .xpt components are changed then that will likely break stuff in K-Meleon. Andrew mentioned something to that effect on the development forum. Also I would be wary of Mozilla 1.3b for now, I read on MozillaNews that there are some regressions that need to be sorted out.

Date: January 25, 2003 10:50PM

Wow...very interesting...

I thought I might as well try, so I did; I copied all the dlls from the 1.3a (release build) install dir to K-M install dir, like normal, then I deleted the whole components dir of K-M, and replaced it with the _whole_ components dir from Mozilla (it only has two .xpt files, none of the others...), and the I did all the rest of the stuff the same--it started up nice and fast, and I looked and it rebuilt the two .dat files in components correctly--without all the .xpt files; it runs smooth as the 1.2.1 this way, no glitches at all yet, and I've run the site in link a bunch and also a Java site that was previously problematic. Oh, one more thing, I also deleted the chrome\chrome.rdf and allowed it to be rebuilt from embed.jar. I'll update my little guide thingy later today or tomorrow. just thought it was interesting... smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: January 25, 2003 11:15PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JAVA WORKS!!!

Browserspy now says: Java is enabled:

http://monkeesage.d2g.com/Java_works.jpg

!!!!!

The guide is now up to date, reflecting this most recent setup with fully working Java:

http://monkeesage.d2g.com/Mozi-Meleon%201.3a_A_Guide.txt

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: January 26, 2003 12:38AM

Pss. I also have no embed_lite.dll, and still have cookies, global history and visited link colors and all that. Strange... smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 26, 2003 04:31AM

MonkeeSage,

That's because Mozilla includes the files mork.dll and appcomps.dll that also proivde global history.

Date: January 26, 2003 06:01AM

i would like to see:

1.) a bigger preferences window (or even resizable *hint*), because it is really difficult to edit the macros/pref/menu... files with this tiny-sized text editor.

2.) a possibility to COMPLETELY disallowing any popup to resize the main window. (Although Ctrl-Tab and then Ctrl-Shift-Tab works acceptable for me now).

3.) as already mentioned: Middle click to open link

4.) A default shortcut "Alt-P" for opening the preferences, so that newbies don't need to change the accelerators file anymore smiling smiley

5.) The "X" button on the title bar should completly exit K-Meleon, even if several tabs are open.

6.) A way to deny Adobe Acrobat Reader to open inside KM. (Probably it's possible even now, but I don't know of a way)

7.) Make fullscreen REALLY fullscreen, if the taskbar is at the top (then the window is moved to (0,0) in relativ position to the position of the desktop, but not to the absolut (0,0) position of the screen.

8.) A quick preference menu for F12 like in Opera. (Probably it's doable right now, but something like that should be included as default).

However, finally with all the tweaks I found here in the forum, KM is a really good product (if just gecko was a little bit faster winking smiley )

best regards,

MaxAuthority

Posted by: ndebord
Date: January 26, 2003 06:37AM

monkeesage,

re: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/download/

FWIW, when I ran that URL using standard KM 0.7, the first pass produced garbled text, etc., but F5 (reload) produced a perfectly legible page. Something in the cache not read properly first time around?

N

Posted by: Nick
Date: January 26, 2003 11:30AM

OK, excellent fix :-)

Thanks Guys!

A few things, though.

There are a few discrepancies on the destructions page:

On the installation notes of Mozilla, what is the 'talkback' option? I never had that? (doesn't matter anyway * )

There is NO bin directory in Mozilla. The *.dll's are located in the root of /mozilla/

The 'overlays' directory require to copy is actually called 'overlayinfo'

Other than that, perfect!

And * you can safely uninstall Mozilla when done.

Good job!

Nick

Date: January 26, 2003 05:44PM

Andrew:

Ah-ha...that would explain it.

BTW, Supercalafragilistic-expialidocious(!!) thanks to you and all the K-M devs for making THE BEST BROWSER EVER for windows!!!! grinning smiley

ndebord:

That's what it was doing for me with the .css fix and the original install of K-M, except it loaded and reloaded fine (like 10 times) untill I quit and restarted K-M the first time after the fix was applied; then after that it started loading it all goofy the first time, then on reload worked ok, then on next reload--DNS error. I tried it a bunch last night after the update where Java was read as enabled, and I just now tried again (after morning reboot), and it loads perfectly every time for me now. smiling smiley

Nick:

Doh! Hehe, fixed and updated the file. smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Err... Houston, we have a problem...
Date: January 26, 2003 08:31PM

This page:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/football/

Before the fix to get Java recognised as 'installed', the snazzy tree navigation menu on the left hand side worked OK. Now all I get is a blank, bordered space where it should be.

Or is it just me?

Nick

Errr... Houston, we don't smiling smiley
Date: January 26, 2003 08:36PM

OK, it was the UserAgent String:

Mozilla/5.0 [en] (WinNT; U)

That caused it. The JS must use that to try and tell what browsers it will work in.

Ideas?

Nick
P.S. at least I got my football back smiling smiley

~(__8-(O)= Doh!
Date: January 26, 2003 08:55PM

This is actually specified in the KM docs:

To set your browser identification, select the browser identification you wish to use from the pull-down menu next to Identify browser as:. When you change the browser indentification from Default, the appropriate UserAgent string will be displayed in the UserAgent string: box. If you wish, you can further change this information by editing the information that is displayed in the box. Click on OK to save your changes. The UserAgent string associated with the Default is not displayed.

Note: Changing your UserAgent string from the Default will prevent JRE from working with your browser. Also, certain sites may not function or display properly if you change your UserAgent string

MonkeeSage, why was the UserAgent specified to be changed?

Nick

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.