Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Corrupted menu bar in 0.9beta2
Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 08, 2005 07:17PM

Dave,

OK. Thanks for testing that out. At least we can rule that factor out of the equation.

I wonder if the Common Control Libraries might be an issue here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 08, 2005 07:22PM

Hi all,

Can you report which version of this file you have?

Comctl32.dll

Posted by: Michael
Date: January 08, 2005 07:38PM

As recommended, I replaced msvcrt.dll with version 6.00.8397.0 --> nothing changed.

Comctl32.dll is here as version 5.80

Date: January 08, 2005 08:43PM

Do you have this version?

Posted by: Dave
Date: January 09, 2005 12:20AM

My Comctl32.dll is File Version 5.81
Product version was 5.50.4807.2300 which I'm fairly sure just means this file was installed along with Internet Explorer 5.5SP2.

Date: January 09, 2005 05:33AM

Dave,

Sounds about right. I guess that's one more thing we can rule out.

Posted by: MD3
Date: January 12, 2005 03:18AM

Comctl32.dll is File Version 5.81

msvcrt.dll is version 6.10.9359.0

Posted by: Michael
Date: January 13, 2005 04:46PM

btw, same bug in RC2

Date: January 16, 2005 02:32PM

Any chance of this getting fixed? It would be a shame if the official 0.9 release was not Windows 95 compatible without tricky and unobvious modifications.

I realise that only a tiny minority of people use Windows 95 these days, but I'd have thought a browser like K-Meleon ought to be targetting as many niches as possible.

IE5.5SP2 was the last version of IE to work with Windows 95, and although Firefox 1.0 works perfectly on it for me (despite claiming to require Windows 98) its XUL interface makes it less responsive that K-Meleon and it seems to be heavier on resources.

Posted by: doremi
Date: January 21, 2005 09:39AM

I'm experiencing this too with the release 0.9

Updated the components as per instructions of FAQ.

Date: January 21, 2005 11:40PM

Still trying to track this down. Unfortunately, we're not getting consistent reports on problems.

I'll probably have to load up Win 95 and 98 on some old machines and see what all I have to tweak to get this to work.

Posted by: doremi
Date: January 24, 2005 10:14AM

Just so you know, I switched off the two dlls as suggested above and things worked fine.

Posted by: Jan
Date: January 25, 2005 04:06AM

For what it is worth, the same symtoms appear with NT4.

Posted by: MD3
Date: January 27, 2005 03:08AM

Well, just adding my confirmation that the bmpmenu and rebarmenu plugins still don't work in W95 with release 0.9

Decided to take a different tack. Fired up k-meleon.exe. Immediately obvious nothing different in W95 with the previously two offending plugins. Entered

about:config

on the URL entry bar. Typed the Enter key. Entered

u.l

on the Filter bar. Double-clicked kmeleon.plugins.bmpmenu.load and entered

false

on the Enter boolean value bar. Clicked OK. Double-clicked kmeleon.plugins.rebarmenu.load and entered

false

on the Enter boolean value bar. Clicked OK.

Closed k-meleon.exe and restarted it. Toodled around and I have to observe that it is a perfectly fine W95 browser even with those two plugins disabled. No blank or indiscernible entries on any of the menus.

My final compromise:

Left bmpmenu plugin disabled.

Installed the 0.8.2 rebarmenu plugin (aka dll) and activated it.

The menu listings are complete and I can get K-Meleon 0.9 to look the way I want with respect to the buttons and bars.

Posted by: Alan
Date: January 29, 2005 02:43AM

The same symptoms occur in NT4... except that none of the suggestions in this thread have any effect. The main menu looks like

|o| |o| |o| | |o| |o| |o| | |o|

with a tilde over each "o".

Clicking the right mouse button gives a popup menu with some missing entries. Under the popup's Reload Options item there are corrupt menu labels. Some of the other second level menus are ok. On the next level menu under Selected Text there are a bunch of missing labels (Go to URL and Send by Mail are there. The other entries are empty).

I tried the "about:config" sequence suggested above and turned off the two menu plugins as described but it has no apparent effect.

Posted by: Alan
Date: January 29, 2005 02:46AM

aha!

After doing the about:config sequence above, exit from K-Meleon, and ALSO exit from the tray icon. Then restart, and the menus look fine. We'll see if this is stable enough to use now.

Maybe that will help someone else.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: January 29, 2005 05:58AM

BTW, it's probably easier for most Win95 users to disable or enable the plugins of their choice from the coded Preferences dialogue. Edit-Preferences-Plugins

Posted by: jsnj
Date: January 29, 2005 05:59AM

Oh, just realized you don't have an available menu to do that initially...LOL. Ignore the post above.

Date: March 12, 2005 03:31PM

This is for MD3 or anyone else who has been dealing with the Windows 95 issue.

Someone started a similar thread about this problem in which I posted a theory that installing the Active Desktop update for Windows 95 might resolve the problem.

Allow this is really just a hunch, and I have so far been unable to test the theory myself, the last poster in the thread has reported that activating the Active Desktop works for Windows ME users experiencing the same problem.

If you think about it, one of the main differences between the Win95 and Win98 shell is the new explorer interface. Perhaps those two problem dll's of 0.9 have been coded on the assumption that the new explorer (installed with the Active Desktop update) is in place?

Posted by: AnotherGuest
Date: March 17, 2005 10:08PM

In addition to bmpmenu, I had to disable rebarmenu to get the file menu. So far, it appears to run in only 24 MB on a 60 MHz Pentium in Win 95.

Once I had menus, just for good measure and to slim it down, I disabled all plugins except Privilege, Layered Windows, and Toolbar Control.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.