Improvement requests :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Use this forum to talk about a feature you're missing. 
Macros ..getting split browsing like konqeror
Posted by: Sesh
Date: July 26, 2002 06:44PM

Hi there,
I am writing a macro that would allow the user to do split browsing,This what it is supposed to happen, you will be on a web site say ebay you are looking at a PDA and its spec, you wanted to compare this to another PDA on another site, when you type the address of that site in the address bar and hit the split browsing icon, the screen will be divided into two and your current browsing site is on left side and the other site that you typed is on the right side.
I have the complete macro for this .. in 0.6 of kmeleon I was able to go upto the point where I could show the current browsing sites on the left and right side of the screen, but couldn't go further because there is no way for me to get the connect of the address bar.
So I looked into the macro language in 0.65 and found that it would be possible for me to do it, I like the macro support in 0.65 very intutive. Tho' I am able to do all other sorts of things like getting the address location into a clip board and access it and even show it in status bar or what ever. The difficulty I am facing is when I want to access this information inside my javascripts..
So my proposal is that we need some way for the macros to pass info to javascripts, or if atleast the string concatenation of the macro variables ($variables) inside is good I can tweak or miss lead it to pass info to my javascripts.
If some one is interested to just to try my work in progress macros ..
here it is, this works for 0.6 or 0.65

split_screen{
menu=&Split screen
open(javascript:{var message="<html> <frameset cols=\"50%,*\"> <frame src=\""+location.href+"\"> <frame \""+location.href+"\"> </frameset></html>";document.write(message);});
}

And ofcoarse I assume you guys will be able to assign to this to a nice icon (like the one in konqueror browser in linux), or to a menu item, or to document or like popup..

-Sesh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Macros ..getting split browsing like konqeror
Date: July 26, 2002 08:26PM

A small correction for the above macro

To use split screen in kmeleon 0.6

copy this to your macros.cfg

split_screen{
menu=&Split screen
open(javascript:{var message="<html> <frameset cols=\"50%,*\"> <frame src=\""+location.href+"\"> <frame src=\""+location.href+"\"> </frameset></html>";document.write(message);});
}

in your accelerators

CTRL VK_SPACE = macros(split_screen)

For 0.65

copy this to your macros.cfg

split_screen{
menu=&Split screen
$split="javascript:{var message=\"<html> <frameset cols=\\"50%,*\\"> <frame src=\\"\"+location.href+\"\\"> <frame src=\\"\"+location.href+\"\\"> </frameset></html>\";document.write(message);}";
open($split);
}

in your accelerators

CTRL VK_SPACE = macros(split_screen)

Now go to any website and press ctrl+space, this should split the screen horizontally. And you can browse both and compare or do what ever.

-ofcoarse thats just a starting.. we can make vertical splits, horizontal splits etc.. etc.

Posted by: D.Rider
Date: July 30, 2002 07:10PM

I'm no help here, but WOW! I'm in awe. I hope this works out. If only ech "split pane" could have its own URL box.

Date: July 30, 2002 10:49PM

I was hoping to use existing url box, and use different accelerators for different macros, So you could just type in the url and press say CTRL+SPACE to see that in a split pane.
thanks
-Sesh

Date: July 31, 2002 02:15PM

Aaahh. Cool.

Gaining access to what is in the URL box would have other uses, such as a "related site" seach (e.g., Google can do this with http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net)]http://www.google.com/search?client=googlet&q=related:http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net)[/url]

Date: August 05, 2002 05:29PM

Actually with the current macro support we can do what you are asking, but the problem is a better string concatenation support in macros.

Date: August 28, 2002 07:00PM

How do you mean? I have a modified macro to do the related site search but I have to either type in or paste in the URL. I just wanted a button to click on that would run the related site search using the URL in the URL box.

Posted by: po
Date: August 28, 2002 07:41PM

i think what was meant by 'current macro support' was what is currently supported in the beta versions... 0.6 is pretty limited in what you can do. this is, in my opinion, one of the greatest areas of improvement in the latest betas/next release... there are functions in there now that i haven't even figured out how to use yet... winking smiley

it'll cut down on cutting'n'pasting by 93.7%...

Date: August 29, 2002 08:28PM

I'm slobbering with anticipation of 0.7 and beyond. No, really I am.
I am anxious to have something extremely better than IE and Netscape any versions, Beonex and others or even KM 0.6. KM 0.6 is already better in lots of ways than those, but still not quite there... but I prefer to use it 98.65% of the time winking smiley

Posted by: DJ
Date: October 03, 2002 09:19PM

if other things wouldn't work for the URL I have this idea that might work for somethings so you could view different bookmarks in each spilt screen if you could some how link a number on your keyboard to a bookmark then it would be like your bookmarks on speed dial .. haha

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.