The actual development has outdated the contents of this Development Roadmap Page (we're at a surprisingly stable 1.6 alpha 4 and a 1.7 early alpha just now ... (August 2010).
Please refer to the Development, the Announcements and the General Pages of the Forum, the News and the Downloads pages to get an impression of how active this project is.
In November 2002, a timeline was developed leading up to K-Meleon 1.0. One of the major questions is how we handle updates and major releases. In the past, updating the core and components files required so many changes that doing a mid-version upgrade was difficult, if not impossible, to do cleanly. However, if we can upgrade an existing release to use new Mozilla code, we might be able to do updates with every Mozilla release.
Updated: January 7, 2006
- Target major releases to every other major Mozilla milestone.
As the Mozilla roadmap was pushed back for the release of 1.7, our calendar was adjusted accordingly.
- We had previously discussed offering updated plugins every 1.5 months. We have since dropped that idea since plugin updates didn't warrant this schedule.
- New plugins are made available as they are ready after appropriate testing and development.
- Between major releases, we should offer an update package that includes the new and improved plugins. It would help regular users stay current with K-Meleon.
- Because of critical bug fixes needed in K-Meleon 0.8, we wont really get onto the normal timeline until the release of K-Meleon 0.9.
- November 11, 2003: K-Meleon 0.8 released based on Mozilla 1.5.
- December 13, 2003: K-Meleon 0.8.1 released based on Mozilla 1.5.
- December 23, 2003: K-Meleon 0.8.2 released based on Mozilla 1.5. Service Pack for 0.8.1 installations also released.
Due to a slow development cycle on our part and a drawn-out development cycle for Mozilla 1.7, our schedule has been revised again.
- January 18, 2005: K-Meleon 0.9 release based on Mozilla 1.7.5.
- January 2006: Upgrade package (K-Meleon 0.9.12 - Mozilla 1.7.12)
- March 2006: K-Meleon 1.0 release based on Mozilla 1.8