K-Meleon 1.5 Release Notes
These release notes outline system requirements, installation instructions, features and known issues for K-Meleon 1.5. K-Meleon 1.5.0 was released on August 8, 2008.
What's New, Improved and Fixed in This Release?
- Mozilla 18.104.22.168 backend.
- True tabs, tab bar with various improvements over layers bar in previous versions.
- New macro parser with better error messages for easier debugging.
- Downloads can be temporarily paused to gain bandwidth for other tasks.
- Alpha-channel (transparency) support for toolbar bitmaps.
- Better unicode support.
- Flashblock and CSS Ad-Blocking can enabled/disabled without restart.
- Preferences panels merged. More detailed controls for font, cache and proxy settings.
- Various improvements in the Netscape Bookmarks plugin.
- Improved translation macro.
- Sessions plugin now works with tabs, also restores tab history and window positions.
- Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server fully supported. Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, Windows NT 4.0 generally supported with updated Microsoft libraries.
- 32 MB RAM minimum recommended.
- 6 MB of free hard drive space for download. 18 MB of free hard disk space for full installation.
- The K-Meleon 1.5.0 en-US installer is available here.
- A .7z file is available here (you need 7-Zip).
- Double-click on the K-Meleon1.5.0en-US.exe file to start the Setup process. At any time in the process that you need to stop the K-Meleon installation, click on the Cancel button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions in the Setup program.
- If you want to get a portable installation for a USB stick for instance, make sure to uncheck the option Multi-user profiles.
- Choose the desired installation directory. When installing K-Meleon 1.5 over a previous installation of K-Meleon 1.x, make sure to choose the same profile location as you did for the previous installation (option Multi-user profiles). Otherwise the new installation may not use your existing profile.
- When completed, you will be given the option of letting K-Meleon start automatically.
- If you wish to go on using your existing profile that was created by a version prior to K-Meleon 1.5, open Edit - Preferences - Macro Extension, enable macro module compat and restart K-Meleon 1.5. This way you can also let your existing Groups be converted into Sessions.
- Go to Settings - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs.
- Select K-Meleon 1.5.0 en-US (remove only).
- Click on the Add/Remove or Change/Remove button.
- Click on the Uninstall button.
- Click on the Close button to close out the uninstall program when it is completed.
- K-Meleon 1.5 is fully localizable and supports multiple languages.
- Language packages for additional installation are available in the K-Meleon Download area.
- Resources for creation of new K-Meleon language packages can be obtained from the Localization page.
- You have to install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) to run Java applets in K-Meleon. Once installed, K-Meleon automatically detects your JRE installation and no other configuration is necessary.
- K-Meleon has been tested with JRE 1.5. You can download JRE 1.5 from the Java website. To see if JRE is properly installed, open Help - About Plugins. If you see the Java Plug-in listed, K-Meleon properly recognizes the JRE.
- When viewing web page source from dynamically generated pages, the current source may not match the displayed page.
- Colors do not display properly when monitor resolution is set to 256 colors since Mozilla/Gecko does not provide proper support for 256 colors. See Mozilla Bug #88560.
- A site not displaying properly is normally caused by one of two issues:
- The site is not compliant with current HTML standards.
- The display problem is due to a Mozilla/Gecko bug.
Mouse wheel scrolling/Multiple mouse buttons
- The Mouse Gestures plugin is disabled by default, you can enable it under Tools - Mouse Gestures.... The mouse gestures support offered by this plugin is very limited, users in need of more advanced gestures are advised to use a third-party program, such as StrokeIt. Furthermore, the plugin does not work correctly on Windows Vista with the Aero GUI enabled.
- Mouse wheel scrolling does not work with all drivers. If you have problems, try updating your driver or disabling any "helper" programs that your mouse uses.
- K-Meleon may not recognize secondary control buttons on mice with multiple buttons. If your mouse software permits programming, you may want to try binding those buttons to the respective keyboard commands that K-Meleon uses for navigation.
Third party Plugins
- Most Mozilla-compatible plugins work with K-Meleon. If you already have Mozilla-compatible plugins installed, K-Meleon will detect and use a number of these plugins. You can download Mozilla/Netscape-compatible plugins from here.
- The most current versions of Flash Player and Shockwave Player support K-Meleon 1.5. To check to see if these are installed properly, visit Shockwave's test site. When installing either program if you are asked for the location of the plugins directory, use the following location: \Program Files\K-Meleon\plugins
- K-Meleon can be configured to work properly with proxies such as Junkbuster that do not support the most recent HTTP 1.1 specification. Detailed proxy settings can be made under Edit - Preferences - Proxy.
K-Meleon 1.5 is released under the GNU General Public License. K-Meleon uses the Gecko rendering engine developed for Mozilla which provides excellent support for current HTML, CSS and DOM standards. This version contains portions of Mozilla 1.8.
The K-Meleon Team
XUL And Macros Developer
Alain Aupeix: Installer, SetDefault, Extensions
K-Meleon uses some bits from:
NSIS Installer (c) 1995-2008 Nullsoft
Gecko and System Icon from Mozilla
Project hosting: SourceForge
NewsFox RSS/Atom news reader developed by Andy Frank and contributors. All Rights Reserved.
Flashblock extension developed by Ted Mielczarek and contributors. All Rights Reserved.
Console┬▓ extension developed by Simon B├╝nzli and contributors. All Rights Reserved.
Phoenity skin included with permission of Lim Chee Aun. All Rights Reserved.
K-Meleon provides a number of resources to support your use of K-Meleon: