General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon is too good to be true.
Posted by: Carlos
Date: March 06, 2010 05:59PM

How is it possible for K-Meleon to work faster on my celeron at 700Mhz than Mozilla Firefox, internet explorer, or Chrome?

I feel almost no difference when I'm using K-Meleon on my ancient rig and when I'm using it at work on a dual core 2.

It's magical.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon is too good to be true.
Posted by: Doon
Date: March 06, 2010 07:02PM

Hehe, I use a more ancient rig than you and it sure works great. It's all about lean, mean, smart coding. Most developers don't think that way anymore, they just suggest you upgrade your hardware and OS to run their bloated code and align with their ignorant design decisions. But many smart developers prove again and again that the road to bloat and the dependence on the latest hardware and software platforms is totally unnecessary. It's nice to see things done well, such as the case with K-meleon, and even Opera, which you didn't mention.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-Meleon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2010 02:45AM by Doon.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: March 07, 2010 01:12PM

Carlos
How is it possible for K-Meleon to work faster on my celeron at 700Mhz than Mozilla Firefox, internet explorer, or Chrome?

I feel almost no difference when I'm using K-Meleon on my ancient rig and when I'm using it at work on a dual core 2.

It's magical.

Carlos,

In the land of Gecko, K-Meleon is smart and lean because it took the low road, while Mozilla's Firefox, Seamonkey and Thunderbird took the high road. By that I mean that the Mozilla Corp. Gecko products all incorporated a software emulation language called XUL, which produces all those XPI extensions that is the core of their approach to browsing.

K-Meleon decided to go for speed, which meant using script language "macros" instead of XUL/XPI. Over time the macro "script" language became more robust and lots and lots of macros became available.* Sometimes they are natively written, sometimes they are ported over from FireFox and Seamonkey.

http://extensions.geckozone.org/K-MeleonEn

http://kmext.sourceforge.net/

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2010 01:13PM by ndebord.

Posted by: stevix
Date: March 07, 2010 03:20PM

I've been using K-Meleon as a secondary browser to Opera for some time now, and have been slowly watching the balance tilt in K-Meleon's favor. Very, very impressive performance, security and configurability. Kudos warranted!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2010 03:20PM by stevix.

Posted by: Daveski17
Date: March 08, 2010 01:03PM

stevix
I've been using K-Meleon as a secondary browser to Opera for some time now, and have been slowly watching the balance tilt in K-Meleon's favor. Very, very impressive performance, security and configurability. Kudos warranted!

Yes, I've noticed that although Opera 10.50 is a bit faster than previous versions K-Meleon is often faster & loads better on certain pages. I'm so glad that I 're-discovered' K-Meleon. smiling smiley

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Posted by: panzer
Date: March 08, 2010 07:33PM

You have not discovered him, he discovered you. grinning smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.