General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon as default web browser in Windows 7
Posted by: Jonathan Chan
Date: April 12, 2010 01:30AM

Hi!
I read the manual entry about setting K-Meleon as the default browser, but I suspect that that was written for an older version of Windows.

In Windows 7, all that is present is the "Default Programs" window, which does not allow me to set K-Meleon as the default program for the HTTP protocol. In fact, it limits me to IE, Chromium, and Opera.

Is it possible to still set K-Meleon as the default web browser in Windows 7?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon as default web browser in Windows 7
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: April 12, 2010 06:45AM

The K-Meleon setuphas been write there is a few time for XP and Win9x, it has been improved for Vista.

Some users complain about the fact that it doesn't work as expected under Vista, and now under Seven.

All the test I made under Vista were ok, but I'm not a Vista user, and I can't affirm that a vista upgrade or else other thing can cause K-Meleon to fail on some particular points.

I'm not too a Seven user, and I haven't seen one running (and I don't want), so it's possible that there is also problems that I'm not able to see.

One thing I don't understand, even it's obvious that Microsoft want to protect 'Internet Shit Explorer', is why wondows doesn't give the possibility to set correctly a browser as default.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: siria
Date: April 12, 2010 07:09AM

Sure, that tool should be written by someone who can at least test it on some vista/7 computer, or better has one himself.

In the meantime, there are already a couple extended discussions dealing with that "default" prob, if you search a bit in the forum...

Posted by: desga2
Date: April 12, 2010 08:07AM

Some thread about it:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,104807
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,104843

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2010 08:07AM by desga2.

Posted by: kaskus web forum
Date: January 09, 2011 03:49PM

kmeleon still cannot set default itself on windwos 7
after install deaultchek II

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 09, 2011 06:38PM

Can you try with SetDefault.exe from 1.6.0 Beta2 ?
I think this is fixed in 1.6.0 Beta2 installer and SetDefault.exe.
What K-Meleon version are you using?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2011 06:40PM by desga2.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 09, 2011 07:10PM

I have Win 7 and I used the KM 1.6.0 beta2 exe to setup KM. I selected single user and everything worked just fine. Clicking on an HTML file opens KM.

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 09, 2011 10:54PM

kaskus web forum
kmeleon still cannot set default itself on windwos 7
after install deaultchek II

After the 1.5.4 installer was created - Microsoft changed some registry keys on
XP SP3, Vista and Win7. So the old setdefault.exe does not work on these systems.

AFAIK the following 2 K-Meleon tools know the new registry keys and can set K-Meleon as default browser.

1.) Defaulter II on the extension page

disrupted on K-Meleon extension page
defaulter2 checks if K-Meleon is your default browser at startup and prompts to make it default by registering internet protocols and file types to K-Meleon if it isn't default. update: support for vista/7. macro integration. easily disable the browser check either from the dialog itself or from k-meleon config menu.
menu entry: edit>configuration>defaultt check
extra notes: requires version 1.5.3 or above
versions supported: 1.5.3

2.) The updated setdeault.exe that ships with K-Meleon1.6.bet2 also knows the new keys. Extract 1.6.beta2, copy the new setdefault.exe to the K-Meleon folder that You want to set as default browser and run setdefault.exe via the menu or start the exe directly.

Greetings to Indonesia from Germany

If the 2 do not work it is usually that You do not have sufficient rights in the profiles folder.

Grant the rights manually.

p.s. How too in ndebord's next post.
Sorry that I was a little lazy. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2011 10:28PM by guenter.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: January 10, 2011 12:01AM

kaskus,

Here is a FAQ on granting permission I grabbed from a tech website.

How to Take Ownership in Windows 7

1. Locate the file or folder on which you want to take ownership in windows explorer

2. Right click on file or folder and select “Properties” from Context Menu

3. Click on Security tab

4. Click on “Advance”

5. Now click on Owner tab in Advance Security Settings for User windows

6. Click on Edit Button and select user from given Change Owner to list if user or group is not in given list then click on other users or groups. Enter name of user/group and click ok.

8. Now select User/group and click apply and ok. (Check “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” if you have files and folder within selected folder)

9. Click ok when Windows Security Prompt is displayed

10. Now Owner name must have changed.

11. Now click Ok to exist from Properties windows

Once you have taken the ownership of file or folder next part comes is Granting Permissions to that file/folder or object.

How to Grant Permissions in Windows 7

1. Locate the file or folder on which you want to take ownership in windows explorer

2. Right click on file or folder and select “Properties” from Context Menu

3. Click on Edit button in Properties windows Click ok to confirm UAC elevation request.

4. Select user/group from permission windows or click add to add other user or group.

5. Now under Permission section check the rights which you want to grant i.e check “Full Control” under the “Allow” column to assign full access rights control permissions to Administrators group.

6. Click Ok for changes to take effect and click ok final ok to exit from Properties window.

Now you can access files of folder in windows 7 with full permissions and take full control. Here is another simplest method to take ownership, Method to Add Take ownership Option in Right Click Menu.

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.